1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support What are some good apps/tips for a new Bionic owner?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by wildkitten, Dec 31, 2011.

1. wildkitten

wildkitten Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 30, 2011
    Alabama
    I have had my Bionic now for about a month. I discovered these forums yesterday and have been enjoying them immensely as the community seems very knowledgable. As such I would very much like to pick your brains so to speak.

What are some good apps I should consider looking at? I'm not too much into games, although I have gotten a couple. I have gotten Google Currents and Pulse as well as a couple of camera apps. I've also tried out ADW Launcher EX and GO Launcher EX and am currently using the GO with a Windows 7 theme. I am also using Lookout for security as Verizon reccomended that. What are some good apps, especially photo apps, you all reccomend? Good utilities to monitor things would be very useful as well.

Also, what tips as far as care and battery maintenance do you all reccomend? I currently have a pretty nice Klemson faux leather flip case/wallet holder, although I am looking for one that will fit the extended battery besides the TPU one. I also use a screen protector, but is there a particular brand of one that the community thinks is better?

Also, does anyone know if there is a way to move pictures to another album and not have them need to stay in All Photos as well? It's getting a little crowded and unorganized in that main folder, especially when I take/add new pictures and want to send them to other folders, I have to hunt them down as it doesn't neccessarily keep them in the order they were added to the phone.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Advertisement

2. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    Apps - need more information. On-Off widgets by CurveFish, ASTRO File manager, RealCalc, NoLock, Office Suite Pro 5, FM Radio (the missing app), MyTracks, Speedtest, Altitude,Dolphin, ...

Battery - see ... http://androidforums.com/motorola-d...ic-battery-life-video-series.html#post3462318 ... for lots of good information.

Case/screen protector - lots of options - they can interfere with the sensor on the front face. I personally don't use a case or screen protector and have the insurance policy.

... Thom

wildkitten likes this.
  3. wildkitten

None

Dec 30, 2011
    Alabama
    Well photo apps for one thing. I would love to be able to use the phone for good snapshots. But was also curious if there were any good utility apps too, like what battery widget some people suggest for one thing. I guess I'm looking for a "package" idea of what some people think are really good. Although the FM radio app seems like something that would be nice, if it could pick up a decent range.

Some nice gallery apps, maybe something that can replace the stock gallery would be nice as well. I'm not exactly enamored of the one that came with it.

I do have the insurance for my phone, but I still like to use a case for it. For one thing I love the wallet style/flip case for having like cards, and the one I have has a slot for a spare SD card which I am hoping to utilize. Not to mention I tend to take care of my phones unlike those from Verizon's so called "certified pre-owned".

4. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    I use Camera, CameraZoom FX, and ProCapture. I have each of them set to dump the images in the same folder.

I connect the Bionic to my workstation with a USB cable and then manipulate the images on my workstation with PaintShop Pro X4.

Each of the camera apps is good at some things and pretty ad at others.

The lens in the Bionic is marginal and there isn't much you can do about it. PaintShop Pro can tweak-up the images to make them more acceptable.

... Thom

5. beefyy

beefyy Well-Known Member
    None

May 3, 2010
    Accounting
    Boston
    Happy new year! An app i recently found was "fast reboot". It doesn't appear to do too much but it helps keep my bionic peppy, and it is super easy to use. It does not actually reboot your phone, but it simulates a reboot to clear up memory. Works great

wildkitten likes this.
  6. wildkitten

None

Dec 30, 2011
    Alabama
    I was lucky enough to get my Bionic in time for some of that Android Market sale and get CameraZoom FX for 10 cents and like it. I will certainly look at Pro Capture.

And thank you Beefyy for that app, it seems nice. Will be trying it.

7. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA