1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root What are the advantages of rooting my lg optimus v

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by LGOPTIMUSVM, Jun 20, 2011.

1. LGOPTIMUSVM

LGOPTIMUSVM Newbie
    None

Apr 25, 2011
    Hello,
    Can anyone tell me what are the advantages or disadvantages if I go ahead and root my LG Optimus V? I am really confused. As all the apps in android I can install and play (obviously except flash embedded apps). I really want to know experts who have done the rooting and know more than I do of the advantages/disadvantages of rooting and can explain it to me better. I really have learned a lot from this forum and I really appreciate that analysis given by this android forum users have made my android sailing very very smooth. Once again appreciate to all the forum users who take their time and explain things.

Advertisement

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    This gives an overview of the benefits of rooting and what it is. It's older, but the principles remain the same.

For me, the main advantage is the ability to install custom ROMs. If I get bored with my handset, installing a custom ROM is like getting a new handset all over again and custom ROMs often add tweaks to the OS you wouldn't see from a manufacturer.

It's also handy being able to take a backup of game saves and app configs etc, you can't do that without rooting.

I'm not sure what the benefits are to your device specifically, hopefully a fellow Optimus V owner will chime in and give their thoughts on the matter.

LGOPTIMUSVM likes this.
  3. koopakid08

koopakid08 Android Expert
    None

Mar 14, 2011
    Behind you
    The best benefit is being able to install any app to the SD card. You can also overclock flash a custom rom, backup your device with a custom recovery, and use root only apps such as ad free android and permissions denied.

papa b likes this.
  4. davidhildreth

davidhildreth Lurker
    None

Jun 20, 2011
    What's currently broke in custom ROMs like AOSP 2.3.4 / CM7+ ? Does everything about the phone work as intended?

5. narrow_minded

narrow_minded Newbie
    None

Apr 23, 2011
    Saint Paul, MN
    I rooted my OV for three reasons:

1. Remove the Virgin Mobile crapware
    2. Fix the "Time Without Signal" bug that most OV's have (causes big battery drain)
    3. Free up more internal memory

All of this was done by rooting and installing the Bumblebee ROM. With this ROM, I had 170mb of internal memory when I first booted it. With all my apps (many moved to the SD card), I'm sitting at 107mb still. That, by itself, makes rooting the OV worth it.

Bigbopster likes this.
  6. JerryScript

JerryScript Android Expert
    None

Mar 15, 2011
    Las Vegas
    The 06/01 build with the camera autofocus fix posted at xda has the following bugs:
    Bluetooth mic doesn't work, headsets don't work properly, camera zoom doesn't work, and some people have wifi issues (though I use wifi daily and have no issues at all, so I can't reproduce that bug).

7. Bigbopster

Bigbopster Lurker
    None

Jun 21, 2011
    Just wondering if you were around 20 mb or under internal memory and getting the low space or low memory messages? Right now if I want a new app, have to delete one to make room. Any advice would be appreciated.

8. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus
    None

May 13, 2011
    Laborer (all the dirty nasty work nobody else want
    Florida
    Maybe you could explain the fix for the "time Without Signal" bug. Sounds like it could benefit quite a few members

9. JerryScript

JerryScript Android Expert
    None

Mar 15, 2011
    Las Vegas
    The TWS or Time Without Service bug is a problem with the Android operating system, which I believe is fixed with version 2.2.2+

The bug manifests itself by showing that no matter what, your Time Without Service always shows 50%. It causes extra battery drain. The simple fix is to toggle Airplane mode on for about 20-30secs when you boot up your phone, then turn Airplane mode off. Some of the Froyo based ROMs have a fix for it, and all of the Gingerbread based ROMs are fixed (I think due to 2.3 being fixed internally).

AndyOpie150 likes this.
  10. narrow_minded

narrow_minded Newbie
    None

Apr 23, 2011
    Saint Paul, MN
    I hadn't gone that low yet. I think I was somewhere around 30mb.

I just recently flashed to AOSP CM7 and it also gave me a lot more internal memory. I have all the apps I need and then some, and I'm still rocking 108mb free space.

As I said before, THAT, imho, is the number one reason to root an Optimus V.

11. narrow_minded

narrow_minded Newbie
    None

Apr 23, 2011
    Saint Paul, MN
    Jerry explained it perfectly. BumbleBee (a 2.2.1-based ROM) fixed it, and AOSP CM7 doesn't have it either.

Tags: