• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What are the benefits of downloading a browser?

I thought I would like Chrome as well. Since I use it on so many other platforms. I guess I got really into drawing gestures on Dolphin. :p

I switched to Chrome when it came out, but I went back to Dolphin. Honestly, both are outstanding, it was personal opinion at the end of the day. I don't put a lot of value in the synching across everything. I know tons of people do however. It is their single most desired function sometimes.

Upvote 0
I used the stock browser for so long on my GNex that I now use ICS browser+ on the sgs3. It's super fast :)

Didn't like several things about Chrome, specifically when you go "back" a page it doesn't reload to where you were scrolling. Instead it reloads the page at the top of the page :(

Ics browser+ also syncs bookmarks with chrome on your PC just not the tabs actively

Upvote 0
I used the stock browser for so long on my GNex that I now use ICS browser+ on the sgs3. It's super fast :)

Didn't like several things about Chrome, specifically when you go "back" a page it doesn't reload to where you were scrolling. Instead it reloads the page at the top of the page :(

Ics browser+ also syncs bookmarks with chrome on your PC just not the tabs actively

I used ICS+ before Chrome but I had an awful time with Pinch zoom, in that - when I released zoom, often it would zoom straight back out. It got so frustrating

Upvote 0
Does everyone using chrome find it smooth and fast? I find it jerky at scrolling, I want to like it but after I while I'm back to the stock browser. Wonder why it doesn't play well on my s3?I did like the ICS browser+but didn't like the pinch to zoom issues. I need a browser which allows zooming even on mobile Web pages which limits my choice

Upvote 0
I'm surprised Firefox isn't used more. It synchs everything between Android, Windows, and linux Firefox browsers and has a wealth of plug-ins.

Most of its Android history has been dismal, so it's not popular.

They managed to have a series of revisions that wouldn't load any web pages.

If you like it and it gets broken on an update, uninstall and reinstall, that usually works.

If you use several browsers, then Choose Browser is a great helper app.

I like Boat Browser and its Mini, fwiw. :)

I like the configuration flexibility that I don't usually get in stock browsers.

Am I using Chrome or not? I have a stock Verizon S3 and it syncs with my Chrome on my desktop PC so I can see each other bookmarks etc. So I thought I had Chrome installed and running but when I go to Google play it lists Chrome there and says it's not installed.

It just says "Internet" on my S3.

Yep, that's your stock browser.

Upvote 0
I liked using the Bolt browser on my Blackberry. It had a feature where you could set up folders, within the bookmarks, for various categories like sports, news, etc., and place specific bookmarks into those folders. it was a great way to organize lots of bookmarks by category, so as not to have such a cluttered bookmarks screen. I have not found a way to do this with android browsers. I currently use the stock browser.

Upvote 0
I liked using the Bolt browser on my Blackberry. It had a feature where you could set up folders, within the bookmarks, for various categories like sports, news, etc., and place specific bookmarks into those folders. it was a great way to organize lots of bookmarks by category, so as not to have such a cluttered bookmarks screen. I have not found a way to do this with android browsers. I currently use the stock browser.

Boat Browser has bookmark folders.

Reactions: kmf
Upvote 0
Months ago I read about security concerns with Dolphin HD browser, so I switched (on xdadevelopers, maybe it's been resolved now).

I've used Maxthon Mobile for ages and I love it, in fact, now I'm used to it I'd say it has the edge over Dolphin. Couldn't get used to the stock browsers on either of the Androids I had/have.

I did give Firefox a fair trial but it seemed very crashy and laggy, couldn't get on with it at all.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones