• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What are the current/upcoming phones coming to Sprint?

Kabob

Android Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2010
Birmingham, AL
My wife and I just moved outside of St. Louis to an area with zero Verizon coverage (their coverage map be damned, two places we've lived now, one in the middle of a major metropolitan area, have had no service). Upstairs you may get one bar but downstairs in the basement it's a no-fly zone. Meanwhile my brother in law's Sprint phone gets almost full bars of 4G in the basement and it makes me sad.

Anyways, we're looking at switching to Sprint and I swung by and checked out the Evo 3D and Photon the other day but didn't really have time to get a feel for 'em. I also know the Epic 4G Touch is coming out soon although with the sheer number of issues I've had with my Fascinate (worst device I've ever owned) I don't know if I can bring myself to purchase another Samsung smartphone.

Are there any other solid upcoming phones? Of the current crop, what's the best out there?

Well, lucky for you, it sounds like you'll be getting better coverage/service and saving money at the same time.
I think you listed the top three phones for at least the next month or two... EVO 3D, Photon, Epic Touch. I think they're all hard to beat, and mostly comes down to personal preference. If you make the switch, don't forget the promo Sprints got running now.. if you buy your phones directly from Sprint, they'll give you $125 for each line you port from another carrier to sprint. www.sprint.com/switchtosprint

Upvote 0
My wife and I just moved outside of St. Louis to an area with zero Verizon coverage (their coverage map be damned, two places we've lived now, one in the middle of a major metropolitan area, have had no service). Upstairs you may get one bar but downstairs in the basement it's a no-fly zone. Meanwhile my brother in law's Sprint phone gets almost full bars of 4G in the basement and it makes me sad.

Anyways, we're looking at switching to Sprint and I swung by and checked out the Evo 3D and Photon the other day but didn't really have time to get a feel for 'em. I also know the Epic 4G Touch is coming out soon although with the sheer number of issues I've had with my Fascinate (worst device I've ever owned) I don't know if I can bring myself to purchase another Samsung smartphone.

Are there any other solid upcoming phones? Of the current crop, what's the best out there?

Personally, I'm getting the Epic 4G Touch, no Samsung support could stop me from getting the best phone in the U.S. (Plus I'm a root user, so Samsung's bad support doesn't affect me.)

But, if I were to choose between the EVO 3D and the Photon, I'd go with the Photon. Motorola phones are known to have better reception than other manufacturers, and the qHD screen looks amazing. it runs smoother than the EVO 3D also. But if you like Sense, the EVO 3D is still a great phone, you should try them both out a little more.

Here's a video comparison of the 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u0NZ1XrtQg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QYQtpzEl7A

Upvote 0
Personally, I'm getting the Epic 4G Touch, no Samsung support could stop me from getting the best phone in the U.S. (Plus I'm a root user, so Samsung's bad support doesn't affect me.)

Forget bad Samsung support, try phones that just don't work, freeze, GPS not working, etc. Maybe they got it all ironed out with the SGS2 but I'm not sure it's worth the risk.

Upvote 0
Stay away from Samsung phones. I've owned them all of my adult life and I've finally learned my lesson with the epic 4g I got for my wife. Root makes it tolerable but it's still a buggy pos. In my opinion htc is making the best phones on the market right now and I absolutely love my evo3d. The 3d is just a novelty but it's cool nonetheless. The real beauty of this phone is the raw power of the dual core procesor and how quick everything is. The aftermarket support for it is great too if you plan to root and run custom roms. I loved my evo4g but I love my evo3d even more. Like I said, htc is making some great phones right now and they are actually supporting them too.

I've owned moto phones in the past and they just don't interest me. Plus the lack of dev support on it makes it a no go.

Upvote 0
I believe that this

Is summed up with this

And I believe that doesn't mean anything at all. My first samsung phone was an n400 about 10 years ago. All in all I've had about 6 different samsung phones and after the final let-down that is the epic, I'm officially done with samsung. They have great hardware that they have a really hard time realizing the potential of. There are a lot of choices out there that are great phones. I've had it with samsung and have finally learned my lesson. Just because I won't own another one doesn't mean you can't. Good luck with it. :\

Btw, I also have a samsung plasma TV and one of their washers. I'm not anti-samsung, I just won't own any of their phones again unless they're the only brand on the market some day.

Upvote 0
I just turned Gold Premiere and they discontinued the program.
I have an upgrade coming that I need to use by Dec 2012.
I currently have an EVO and I'm not in a huge hurry to upgrade. Add to that, I don't really care for any of the current offerings. So what's coming up between now and Dec 2012 that I should look out for?

Upvote 0
I currently have an EVO and I'm not in a huge hurry to upgrade. Add to that, I don't really care for any of the current offerings. So what's coming up between now and Dec 2012 that I should look out for?

The best thing to wait for would be the new Nexus. It hasn't been officially announced yet, but the rumored specs are pretty amazing.

-4.5-4.65 Super Amoled HD (720p) (You might think this will be big, but you have to remember there won't be any buttons at the bottom)
-Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich (Which allows for on-screen controls and no physical buttons)
-1.5 ghz processor (No one knows which one)
-5 mp camera (But supposedly with the best sensor)
-Vanilla Android

These are some of the features that are rumored, but we'll see how it really is when it comes in October - November.

Upvote 0
in my eyes, the nexus 1 was alright, and the nexus s wasn't very popular/successful. so i'm somewhat leery of future nexus phones. they just don't seem to be all that special. maybe this one will prove me wrong, depending on the final specs.

i played with the e4gt today (i have an launch day evo4g and have an upgrade to use) and it is pretty sweet. the camera is pretty sick. they have a "cartoon" mode where you can take a picture and it captures it as a cartoon-like photo which is cool as hell. also, the 2-thumb-zoom&shrink feature is pretty fancy as well.

i was disappointed to find out that my $150 upgrade fee would only get the phone to the final price of $199. i thought if i were to upgrade early, the 2 year price would be $199, and the $150 off would make it $50. that might make me wait a bit.

Upvote 0

Nothing has officially been announced, but as So-Lo Da Don said the new Nexus phone should be out by then. It may not be on Sprint, however. I suspect you will not see any new smartphone releases that rival the current big three (HTC Evo 3D, Motorola Photon, Samsung Epic 4G Touch) until next year.*

One appeal of the Nexus S 4G, by the way, is guaranteed updates to the latest version of Android plus lots of other goodies. What phone is the only one to officially have the newest Swype? The Nexus S 4G. What's the only phone to have Google Wallet right now? The Nexus S 4G. What will be the first existing phone to get Ice Cream Sandwich? Take a wild guess. :)

* Note that Sprint is also rumored to be getting the iPhone in October, but a) this is rumor; b) no one knows what iPhone (the current iPhone 4, or whatever the next gen is); and c) it's an iPhone. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Currently I have an EVO 4G that is rooted with the Mik3D ROM.. I love it.. I am not really a fan of the 3D Gimmick which is why I have not upgraded yet.. But what is next.. Is HTC planning on making lets say an HTC EVO HD or something.. With Upgraded Hardware.. A beautiful Screen with lots of resolution.. Sense 3.0 and a whole bunch of other goodies?.. Basically an upgraded Evo without the 3D gimmick?.. Any ideas of what is in the pipeline?.

Upvote 0
The evo 3d is the upgraded evo. I agree the 3d is a gimmick but it's pretty cool and a nice show off to people not familiar with the device. If the 3d bothers you just don't use it. The phone is an evo at heart and believe me, it does everything the evo did but better. There is a pretty large group of dev's working on roms and features for it too. I'm running synergy 498 on mine and it is smooth as butter. I loved my evo (also running mikg) too but I love the evo3d even more.

It's a great phone.

Upvote 0
The evo 3d is the upgraded evo. I agree the 3d is a gimmick but it's pretty cool and a nice show off to people not familiar with the device. If the 3d bothers you just don't use it. The phone is an evo at heart and believe me, it does everything the evo did but better. There is a pretty large group of dev's working on roms and features for it too. I'm running synergy 498 on mine and it is smooth as butter. I loved my evo (also running mikg) too but I love the evo3d even more.

It's a great phone.

Thanks.. I will definately look into the 3D..

Upvote 0
haha yea epic touch 4g would be my dream device on sprint right now but i don't see that happening....

the phones i see being of "comparable" trade would be the EVO 3d, Nexus S 4g,and original Epic 4g.

I agree, you're most likely to end up with a Nexus S 4G, maybe an Epic 4G. Don't expect an ET2 or even an Evo 3D as long as these other two are available, as they are more comparable to the original Evo.

I'd push for the Nexus over the original Epic, if it were me.

Reactions: Covert_Death
Upvote 0
Quite honestly, I don't think anybody can go wrong with the E3D, MoPho, or ET4G. It just comes down to what's most important to each individual's needs. If I were to break it down to the simplest terms, this is how I'd classify each of the phones:

E3D = Entertainment and 3D capabilities
MoPho = Best for combination of Business and Entertainment
ET4G = Entertainment and bigger screen w/ thinnest styling available

For non-root users, I personally would recommend staying away from Samsung until they prove that their past history for lacking support is exactly that (e.g. in the past). HTC and Motorola have by far exceeded Samsung, when it comes to standard support.

Upvote 0
Quite honestly, I don't think anybody can go wrong with the E3D, MoPho, or ET4G. It just comes down to what's most important to each individual's needs. If I were to break it down to the simplest terms, this is how I'd classify each of the phones:

E3D = Entertainment and 3D capabilities
MoPho = Best for combination of Business and Entertainment
ET4G = Entertainment and bigger screen w/ thinnest styling available

For non-root users, I personally would recommend staying away from Samsung until they prove that their past history for lacking support is exactly that (e.g. in the past). HTC and Motorola have by far exceeded Samsung, when it comes to standard support.

I agree with everything you just said.

And I have to admit, I love the name MoPho for the photon. I still wouldn't own one, but that is the coolest name for a phone so far!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones