• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What are the major differences between Note 4 v Note 8

LiveAmmo

Lurker
Oct 6, 2017
In all honesty, when I upgraded from my Note 2 to Note 4, besides the internal capacity and slightly faster performance, I wasn't really bothered about the rest of the features. My Note 2 is simply a fantastic phone and I regretted upgrading as I could have just purchased a decent SD card.

Now in 2017, with so much time passed, Note 8 has been released. Any major differences, besides internal capacity? I guess one of things I also look for is gaming experience, like playing online multiplayer games. On the note 4, i do get some lags occasionally. How much better of a phone is Note 8 considering performance?

The Note 8 is a beautiful phone, The camera is a liitle better than the the 4's and performance is inproved with a faster SOC and more RAM so gaming should definately be better.
But you lose the removable batterty and the ruggedness on the Note 4. The Note 8 has a glass back so you need a case.

Upvote 0
The Note 8 is a beautiful phone, The camera is a liitle better than the the 4's and performance is inproved with a faster SOC and more RAM so gaming should definately be better.
But you lose the removable battery and the ruggedness on the Note 4. The Note 8 has a glass back so you need a case.

Hi, just this part of the sentence means that after many years of owning Note's I won't be moving to the Note 8, in my opinion Samsung shot themselves in the foot with the Note 7 not having a removable battery, if it had they could have just supplied an updated battery instead of refunding for the whole phone, I don't understand how people are happy to throw a phone away when the battery packs up for various reasons, I am on my third battery now but it could have been my third phone if I couldn't spend a few seconds replacing it. Phil

Upvote 0
Hi, just this part of the sentence means that after many years of owning Note's I won't be moving to the Note 8, in my opinion Samsung shot themselves in the foot with the Note 7 not having a removable battery, if it had they could have just supplied an updated battery instead of refunding for the whole phone, I don't understand how people are happy to throw a phone away when the battery packs up for various reasons, I am on my third battery now but it could have been my third phone if I couldn't spend a few seconds replacing it. Phil
While I don't disagree with you on the battery, in-fact I would love to see a new Note with removable battery, with that said good luck finding *any* flagship phones with removable batteries, not to mention tablets have been that way for a very long time

Upvote 0
MAMA MIAAAAA!!!!!!

I can't believe they dropped the battery removable option!!! This very Monday I checked out the new Note 8 in the stores. I literally had one in my hand and tested it out without realising the jailed battery on the back. I was planning to upgrade over the phone with Vodafone afterwards. Thank God I read the above, in fact, I wasn't sure what I was reading until I googled it further, still not convinced i Youtubed it and there it was! What on earth are they thinking?

Along with a new phone I always buy a 10,000ish mAh battery from Zero Lemon or Kranich as my work requirements demand heavy usage. I then use the stock battery as a backup. So gonna stick with NOTE 4 and buy a bigger SD card. Shame on SAMSUNG! (dont really care what their reasons were, whether positive or not, it sucks!!)

Upvote 0
MAMA MIAAAAA!!!!!!
Along with a new phone I always buy a 10,000ish mAh battery from Zero Lemon or Kranich as my work requirements demand heavy usage. I then use the stock battery as a backup. So gonna stick with NOTE 4 and buy a bigger SD card. Shame on SAMSUNG! (dont really care what their reasons were, whether positive or not, it sucks!!)

I am with you here. I have had many Samsung phones, for which I bought extended batteries for them. The Note 4 was my last Samsung phone. Once I found out they no longer had removable batteries, I switched to LG and will probably stick with LG for the foreseeable future. I got the dual sim LGV20 back in February, and I am quite happy with it, after swapping the OEM battery with a 9300mah battery from Mugen.

Upvote 0
Sorry fellas,

Manufacturers have looked at the numbers. The vast majority of consumers want thinner devices that last a day or two under normal use. They want water resistance and better screens. Most consumers don't need 10k mA batteries to get them through the day and will replace their current phone long before the embedded battery fails.

I'm not saying that your needs are irrelevant, but the manufacturers cater to the majority and making additional devices for a small group that wouldn't recoup the cost of manufacturing just isn't practical. I think the removable battery is going the way of the flip phone.

Upvote 0
Sorry fellas,

Manufacturers have looked at the numbers. The vast majority of consumers want thinner devices that last a day or two under normal use. They want water resistance and better screens. Most consumers don't need 10k mA batteries to get them through the day and will replace their current phone long before the embedded battery fails.

I'm not saying that your needs are irrelevant, but the manufacturers cater to the majority and making additional devices for a small group that wouldn't recoup the cost of manufacturing just isn't practical. I think the removable battery is going the way of the flip phone.
I don't for one minute believe that it is a case of manufacturers catering to the masses, I am firmly convinced it is a case of greed, why sell a customer a new battery when you can sell them a new phone, unfortunately a lot of people have fallen for it, and waterproof as against water resistant is probably only needed by few people. It must be nice to afford to throw your phone away when the battery becomes useless. Phil

Reactions: Xavier Black
Upvote 0
Well Phil, I can't refute your theory, but I don't believe that was the deciding factor in using non-removable batteries. In most cases they are replaceable, but depending on the phone, it's not generally easy. But given the viability of technology, That might happen once or twice in a phones life before it's obsolete.

In my small sphere of cell phone experience, I don't know of a single person who ever replaced a phone for the sole reason that a battery went bad. I'm sure it happens, but not as often as you suggest and certainly not enough to impact the bottom line of companies like Apple, Samsung or even LG or HTC.

I don'r deny for a minute that these companies are greedy. That is the nature, and yes, the definition of a corporation. But, I still maintain that the design team considered that a removable battery would negatively impact either the thickness, the power capacity or the water resistance which are things that will sell them a heck of a lot more phones than battery replacements. Not to mention that pre-determined equipment failure makes for a bad customer experience which would drive business to the competition, something they definitely don't want.

Upvote 0
Lunatic, i guess what you are saying does make sense but bottom line is, as you agreed, 'GREEEEEED'. I guess we can't blame the manufacturers alone, the consumer is just as bad for being consumed by fast paced upgrades which simply don't deliver for the price paid and gimmicky impracticality. I don't know why i'm complaining lol

Bottom line: I am a big fan of the Note series and the S-pen, S-note and scrapbook feature. If all companies end up taking the route, when the time comes (certainly not now), if I upgrade its obviously gonna be a Note phone or something exceptionally similar. Lets just hope companies like Kranich, Zerolemon and a string of others start producing better back-end slip-on power housing extended cases which are thinner and provide the same mAh capacities needed for these fish tank concealed battery non-removable consumer pleasing pocket robbing thin curving bending slippery anti-gravitational blah blah blah phones. Yuck! Where's the masculinity in mans creation?

Or just wait for an EMP to knock out the grid so we can go back to tubed piping for passing sound waves with a biro and notebook bagged in the pocket

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
Sorry fellas,

I disagree. You might be correct that most users don't need long lasting or replaceable batteries. However, I don't believe the majority of users care about it being water proof either. I believe the manufacturers started making them non-removable for the same reason the IPhone doesn't come with an SD card. They can make more money. Either by charging for battery replacement , or by people buying new phones they might not have bought as soon because their batteries don't last as long as they used to.

Upvote 0
I disagree with your disagreement, but you're entitled to your opinion ... wait, it's 2017 and we're on the internet. Are you still entitled to an opinion? Let me check the latest tweets to verify ... <insert Jeopardy music> ... okay, we still are entitled to differing opinions (Phew!) ;)

As I freely admitted, corporations are greedy, money grubbing male offspring of canines. That's what makes them work. Whether that is a good thing or more evil than Satan in a schoolyard is another debate.

I'm sensing an implication that non-removable batteries, No SD card slot, removal of headphone jacks etc. were done specifically to generate revenue. While I will accept that the possibility of increased revenue was factored in, i find it mighty incredulous that it would be the only reason, and that most manufacturers all chose to make the same decisions at the same time if the market wasn't driving it there.

First, I don't think SD cards and greater native memory are equivalent. I still believe that SD cards should only be used for storage and trying to run apps and extend internal system memory to such a fragile thing is a disservice to the consumer. To me it's like making a car out of glass. As long as you are careful you could be okay, but if something goes wrong ... although I think what phone manufacturers charge for a memory upgrade to be obscene.

To the battery issue (which is where this all got started) I don't think I've ever seen a battery replacement service by any of the manufacturers besides warranty work. So I can't say they make anything from battery replacement if they aren't doing it, or doing it begrudgingly. As to consumers buying new phones, they do it on average every 20 ~ 24 months pretty much across the board. Now if you think about the graphic below, you will see a trend in the time to upgrade is increasing. I think this speaks more to the cost of the device than a failing battery forcing the upgrade.
58b898a2be967306018b45dd-1200

Of course, greed or design ... manipulative or beneficial, it's hard to deny that removable batteries are going away and consumers are paying for it.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
I disagree. You might be correct that most users don't need long lasting or replaceable batteries. However, I don't believe the majority of users care about it being water proof either.

I'm sure that many users do actually. Over the years AF has had hundreds, if not thousands of posts like, "Help! My phone got wet...", "Help! I dropped my phone down the toilet..."

Accidents involving liquids are probably one the most common ways that users kill their phones.

I believe the manufacturers started making them non-removable for the same reason the IPhone doesn't come with an SD card.

Quite frankly I don't really care what Apple does, all phones I've bought have an SD.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
Can I just point out that the S5 could be accidentally dropped in water and survive, which was a selling point of the phone, this had a replaceable battery, phones can be made waterproof instead of water resistant if the manufacturers wanted but it doesn't sell replacement phones. The argument about phones being replaced anyway is purely because most people get their phones on contract and the majority of contracts run for 24 months so obviously they get replaced regularly, but there are probably still many thousands of people in the UK who buy SIM free. Phil

Upvote 0
I am Old School and still want my removable battery.
My Note 4 has gone thru a few of them, 4 of them junk Asian look alikes apparently, as I found them at $9.99 each with free shipping... after the 1st set were thrown away because they quickly started loosing their ability to take a full charge, I bought a 2nd set of spares that were "supposed to be" OEM Samsung, even have the proper label stuck on them...

but, they lasted me about two months and then they went in the trash...
I then went to a local store and purchased a guaranteed sure nuff Samsung battery off the shelf at $39.95 plus tax......ouch!!!

But, that one battery now charges to 100% every time, and generally it lasts me thru the day with 20 to 30 percent left when I hit the sack....

Upvote 0
Sorry lunatic..philayl is damn right by any angle you look at it..we want to believe in this world there's still the unmonetary soul side..every single day is faiding more and more..and all this greedie bastards all think about all day long..every day of the year is how to make a forced buck out of you, and him, and me, and her, and they, and us and even IT.

Think about it..there's about three
or four times amount of phones than there's people in the planet..and this bastards just realized they can continue selling us their junk like there's not tomorrow and even every year hijacking the prices..since we don't protest or do any thing about it..they found the gold mine..Jack pot for them!!

just saying.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Xavier Black , I'm not saing that profit wasn't the reason. I'm sure it was PART of the reason for making the battery non-removable. I'm just sayin' the it wasn't the ONLY reason. And, I'd go so far as to say it wasn't the PRIMARY reason.

When I get elected to the board of directors, or have my hidden listening device planted in the boardroom, I'll be able to confirm that for you. ;)

Reactions: Xavier Black
Upvote 0
Lunatic there is one other thing you should consider in the removable or ease of removing battery discussion, I can only speak for the UK, here Samsung phones come with a two year warranty, but the battery, which is an integral part of the phone now, comes with a 12 month warranty, I think that states volumes for the manufacturers who clearly have no faith that the battery will last the life of phone, built in obsolescence I think! Phil

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones