• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What are the odds of Android 2.2 (Froyo) on the Galaxy?

Xenon

Aug 30, 2009
Croatia
There have been some silly announcements of 2.2 Froyo being 450%
faster than 2.1 Eclair.

It's not important how much faster it will be... the important thing is
they've seemingly worked on improving speed, which in turn probably
means resource usage is lower, which could also mean hardware
requirements are lower and perhaps it will run fine on older phones.

Anyway, I doubt Samsung will be giving us 2.2 instead of 2.1, so I'm
curious whether there is any chance of us getting it some other way?

Are there any reasons why 2.2 would not be able to run on the Galaxy?

if pieces of crap like spica, hero or moment are getting 2.1 then yes, i'm serious :)
hero is htc which is a google partner and its been delayed again
spica is different hardware and came some 6 months after galaxy and has more memory and a slightly faster cpu

moment has loads more memory and a slightly faster cpu

192mb ram 528mhz chip and minimal support tells me you are in dreamworld
were not even getting 2.1 so how you see a slim chance of 2.2
there is no agreement in place for forced updated on current versions of android. google have no power at all over the manufacturers at this point

Upvote 0
I came here to ask the same question. With Froyo being (supposedly) more efficient and splitting some core functions off and allowing things to run from the SD card you'd think there's a chance the Galaxy would have more luck with Froyo than Eclair. Chances of Samsung porting it seem close to zero, but hopefully Drakaz or someone might have more luck. I wish someone at Google would step up and do something about it, but that seems unlikely and is dissapointing.

I'm waiting for a new phone that has Froyo before I junk my Galaxy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones