• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What are the top Android phones?

whs37

Android Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2011
Florida/Germany
I know that is a question like: "What is the best beer". But I have a specific problem.

I am compiling a presentation about tablets and smartphones for my computer club (700 members). They think I am an expert because I know things about PCs - LOL. Problem is that I do not own a smartphone nor a tablet myself. So I have no hands-on experience.

I like to embed a few short videos to show what those devices can do. On tablets I will take the Android 3.0 and Galaxy materials that are available. But for the phones I am a bit lost which one represents the Android market best.

If you could give me some tips and possibly link short videos that you can recommend, I would appreciate.

OK, I'm not campaigning for HTC Sense (one of many overlays possible that runs on top of a smartphone OS), but if others are like you, they may be constrained to thinking that a smartphone is just a phone with the web and email - there's much more to it and I think this marketing vid helps show that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meBGJ_2f8RU

A smartphone is a fusion of technologies that depending upon the model make an Android phone into your e-book reader with free books (or a Kindle or Nook work-alike), a personal music player (Sirius/XM, Pandora to name a few), a media manager for your home network, your photo editor and upload manager to share with friends and family, a portable TV to keep up on the games for example (this is model / carrier dependent), a personal game player, a complete reference desk, an astronomy aid, a personal maps and navigation guide, a speaking language translator, and a tool for managing contacts and personal appointments.

And it even makes phone calls. Oh - and video calls, too.

As for tablets, here's one of the most advanced UIs on the market today, others are coming -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2WaZtGgX_8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0whg7bFkQk

As for what the top Android devices are? My friend, you might as well have worn a pork-chop necklace to the junk-yard dog dance. :)

I'll leave it to my compadres to fill you in on some of the better choices in Android devices.

When you're done, I fully expect you to not just get a smartphone, but to step up to the Android experience and join the party here.

Welcome to the forums!

Reactions: whs37 and jroc
Upvote 0
What are the top Android phones? Didnt you know, its the ones that havent came out yet...:p

Seriously, I would take all the high end Android phones around the summer of last year and work my way up, starting with either the Incredible or EVO.

So off the top of my head you have the Incredible, EVO, Droid X, Galaxy S line (Captivate, Fascinate, Epic 4G, Vibrant), Droid 2....it gets fuzzy after that.

And I feel Sense UI is the best Android UI out. The UI on the upcoming LG phones looks like a combo between Sense UI and Touchwiz (the UI on some Samsung phones), I would put both of those UI's over MotoBlur, Blur; Motorola's UI. And then there are phones running stock Android, which some ppl prefer. But it is plain compared to all the other UI's.

I would even throw in some info and clips of high end Android phones coming soon in the next few months. You have to with the upcoming Motorola Atrix and what it can do. You have to...

YOU HAVE TO!!!!!! LOL!!

Upvote 0
I know that is a question like: "What is the best beer".
Not quite. It sounds to me like you're asking for the latest and top spec phones. For this reason, you always need to qualify exactly what you mean when you use the word "best".

It's a bit different when an individual is asking for the "best" phone as the person is looking for something specifically suited to that person. Cases like that are like your "What is the best beer?" analogy.

Upvote 0
Samsung's support is much better outside of the US, and one reason for that they don't have the carriers to cramp their style.

Internationally, the best Android phones are Samsung Nexus S, HTC Desire HD, HTC Desire Z and the Samsung Galaxy S i9000. I would have added Motorola Milestone 2 and Milestone X but they don't have a well distributed global presence. Too much catering to select areas and select carriers. And unlike the US versions, the Galaxy S i9000 got its Froyo updates last year. And compared to its US siblings, the i9000 always had a front camera and a wake button on the front.

The HTC Desire HD and the Desire Z succeeds the most highly rated smartphone ever, the HTC Desire, which got the highest ratings from at least three UK periodicals. It scored 95 on Reg Hardware, which is the highest score of any phone ever and still is. It got phone of the year on T3.

HTC Shift EVO is the first HTC in the US to get the mew Sense. It truly looks better than the one on the Desire, Droid Incredible, and EVO generation.

Best cheap Android phone is even a greater challenge. The contenders go the SE X10 Mini and Mini Pro, Huawei Ideos X5, HTC Aria/Gratia and the LG Optimus One.

Upvote 0
Not quite. It sounds to me like you're asking for the latest and top spec phones. For this reason, you always need to qualify exactly what you mean when you use the word "best".

It's a bit different when an individual is asking for the "best" phone as the person is looking for something specifically suited to that person. Cases like that are like your "What is the best beer?" analogy.
I realize what you are saying. I was hoping that the context I gave would make the intent clear. I was really only looking for the "most popular" and most used phones of these days. Since the market seems to shift every 3 days, it is very difficult for me to keep up with it.

The purpose is really only to advise the members of my computer club which set of phones is currently worth looking for. I realize that this may be a completely different set in 3 months from now.

Guamguy, Thank you for your answer. That is a good list from where I can start. Now I have to find a few matching videos. Those people want to "see" things. LOL

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones