• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What are the top smartphones 5 of 2014?

The OnePlus One
Nexus 6
HTC M8
Galaxy S5
Motorola Moto X

At least those are the ones that first come to mind for me. I could probably also throw in the Nexus 5 (although I guess technically that one was 2013.....then again it was available through 2014 when Nexus 6 just came online and is controversial)......the LG G3, or the Note 4 (although I'm not sure how big an improvement it is over the Note 3 really).

It is good to have options :).

Upvote 0
Galaxy Note 4
Nexus 6
Moto X 2014
Xperia Z3
Galaxy S5

Runners up...

LG G3 - Average battery life, poor 3d performance, excesive CPU throttling.
HTC One M8 - Below average camera, HTC STILL cheat in benchmarks.
OnePlus One - Availability issues.
Oppo Find 7
Xiaomi Redmi Note
Meizu MX4
Koobee Max3
Vivo Xshot

Availability will vary by region and country.

Four of them I've never heard of.

Upvote 0
Galaxy Note 4
Nexus 6
Moto X 2014
Xperia Z3
Galaxy S5

Runners up...

LG G3 - Average battery life, poor 3d performance, excesive CPU throttling.
HTC One M8 - Below average camera, HTC STILL cheat in benchmarks.
OnePlus One - Availability issues.

Four of them I've never heard of.

I've yet to see a Nexus 6, :p ..and not likely to for the moment..."availability issues" LOL

Upvote 0
Am i the only one who has yet to experience any of the so-called claims that the LG G3 has horrible performance, or bad battery life? as far as Android phones go the G3 happens to be the snappiest and best on battery. it's either that or i got one of the 'good' phones in the bunch. it has never ran hot, randomly rebooted, or crashed one time. my Note 3 had worse battery life doing the same thing, ran warm, and froze at the lock screen requiring a reboot at least once a week.

Upvote 0
Am i the only one who has yet to experience any of the so-called claims that the LG G3 has horrible performance, or bad battery life? as far as Android phones go the G3 happens to be the snappiest and best on battery. it's either that or i got one of the 'good' phones in the bunch. it has never ran hot, randomly rebooted, or crashed one time. my Note 3 had worse battery life doing the same thing, ran warm, and froze at the lock screen requiring a reboot at least once a week.

Nobody said the battery life was horrible, it is however below average for a high end device.

It all depends what your used to, also there are plenty on comparisons on youtube showing how poorly the g3 does in games due to cpu throttling vs a galaxy s5.

Upvote 0
Below average compared with what? it already beats the iPhone totally, and is much better than my Note 3's. same usage with my Note 3 and after work it needed to be immediately plugged in to charge. at least on my G3 i have more than 80% to play with after that same shift where i can actually use the remote control app.

Many of the complaints regarding lag and CPU issues in the G3 are referencing the 2GB RAM/16GB model. i was lucky the only one available for Verizon around here was the 3GB RAM/32GB Model.

Upvote 0
Below average compared with what? it already beats the iPhone totally, and is much better than my Note 3's. same usage with my Note 3 and after work it needed to be immediately plugged in to charge. at least on my G3 i have more than 80% to play with after that same shift where i can actually use the remote control app.

Many of the complaints regarding lag and CPU issues in the G3 are referencing the 2GB RAM/16GB model. i was lucky the only one available for Verizon around here was the 3GB RAM/32GB Model.

Compared to other flagship devices of course, what else could I possibly be referring to in this context? :thinking:

Example.

Web Browsing

Galaxy S5 - 9.36h
LG G3 - 6.40h

Video Playback

Galaxy S5 - 11.05h
LG G3 - 9.57h

Even previous generation device match or better the battery life of the LG G3, the LG G2 for example has better battery life.

I agree the LG G3 LTE-A fairs better than the standard version when it comes to throttling but the issue is still there. LG are clearly having issues managing the heat in their devices, where as Samsung are having no such issues.

See video below, performance does not match Galaxy S5 with Snapdragon 805 so there are still issues there.

LG G3 vs Galaxy S5 (S805 Primes) - YouTube

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones