1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

what are these folders?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by denifranklin2013, Jan 8, 2015.

1. denifranklin2013

I was going though my files and I noticed a few folders I am clueless about. I need help knowing what these files are, where they came from and can I delete them. Some folders are; com.facebook.katana ; .tmp ; .KRSDK ; and .SDKDownloads ;

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Where on the device did you find these?

From memory com.faceboot.katana is the actual name of the facebook app (which I don't have installed, so can't see what it would keep in such a folder). .tmp will be temporary files (I have an empty /sdcard/.temp on my device), no ideal about the other 2 except that "SDK" is normally short for "Software Developer Kit".

3. denifranklin2013

I found them in my file manager.

4. Hadron

VIP Member

I meant which part of the filesystem. But I guess you mean either the internal "sdcard" or an actual SD card.

Did you look to see whether there is anything in them? Mind you, if there isn't then they aren't taking up any space either.

5. denifranklin2013

There in my internal storage.

6. denifranklin2013

The .tmp folder is empty. The .KRSDK and .SDKDownloads has stuff in them

7. Hadron

VIP Member

And if the Facebook one has anything in it it will be stuff stored by FB.

The 2 SDK folders are not standard, so presumably related to something you've done at some point. You'll be in a better place to judge them than me. Have you ever rooted the phone, or tried to? Could be related to something called kingroot.

The tmp one you can just ignore.

8. denifranklin2013

I tried to root my phone but it didn't work

9. Hadron

VIP Member

My guess is that these 2 folders came from that attempt then.

10. denifranklin2013

Can I delete them? Or should I leave them there?? I just don't want it to be a virus or something

11. Hadron

VIP Member

If the rooting failed it's very unlikely that you still need anything in them.

12. Mr. Lucky

Mr. Lucky Android Expert

Agreed, but if you want to take a conservative approach, just rename the folders and use your phone normally for a few days. If everything works as expected, you can probably go back and safely delete them at that point.

13. Tewluv52

Tewluv52 Lurker

I have a question i found this katana file however it shows me that there was conversations back and forth with stickers with Katana.. can u tell me if this is just a app or was this actually two people conversating?

14. Leon Marco

Leon Marco Well-Known Member

Are you referring to the pictures of emoticons? Could you show a screenshot of one of them to explain what you mean
    Conversations are usually not stored by an app in a manner by which you can easily read them. They are usually encrypted.

15. Tewluv52

Tewluv52 Lurker

Yea, they are under a files listed as stickers. I tried to send you copies but couldnt get them uploaded. So is that where they have been sent to someone or part of an app?

16. Leon Marco

Leon Marco Well-Known Member

I have no clear idea why are those pictures stored by the Facebook app. They seemed to be the same ones used during a chat.