1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

What are they?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by zuben el genub, May 6, 2016.

1. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Android Expert

Jan 24, 2011
    moto.jpg
    I can't stand it any more. What are the circled things vestiges of? They must have worked at one time or another. If they don't do anything, why are they still there?

Advertisement

2. MLSS

MLSS Android Expert
    None

May 20, 2013
    Male
    Director of a non profit
    Nelsonville, Ohio
    Those are speakers lol

3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    As been said before they are speakers. Look at the HTC One line. Stereo speakers placed at the top and bottom of the phone. The top grill also contains the earpiece for calling, and the one in the bottom also usually contains the phone mic in this type of design.

4. zuben el genub

Jan 24, 2011
    Not according to the Moto manual. It doesn't list any speakers in the downloadable PDF, and this one
    http://motoxhub.com/moto-x-online-user-guide/moto-x-layout/

has the speaker in the back according to the diagram. I'd believe it's in the back. I could swear the Oppo was far louder.
    You could hear that phone all over a multilevel house. It wasn't in a case, just a holster.

The Moto is in a Seidio case and you can barely hear it ring at times (volume at max)

5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    You'd note that the phone in the diagram of the link you posted is different from the phone on your picture. The one in the link you posted is the Moto X from 2013. The one with the speaker grills in front is the Moto X from 2014 (2nd gen), or the Moto X Pure. Even the back is different.

Now it appears the Moto X (2nd gen) has that design you posted, but only a single speaker, at the bottom grill. This article specifically mentions it:
    http://www.androidheadlines.com/2014/09/moto-xs-front-facing-speaker-vs-htcs-boomsound.html

It also appears that later Moto phones have stereo speakers and that design remained.

MLSS likes this.
  6. zuben el genub

Jan 24, 2011
    The pdf manual is identical to the one that came with the XPRE. It does not list those as speakers. Why, I don't know.

If the speakers were supposed to be that good, you would think that Moto would point out that there are 2 of them.
    The posted jpg looks basically like the XPRE I have

I'm usually more interested in how fast apps will open than sound, so I don't pay too much attention to the speakers unless they are driving me nuts as with a Galaxy Tab 4. I had to buy an external speaker just to hear the announcers at a baseball game and you have to keep checking that disclaimer about loud sound. (BTW, I think that's MLB rather than Android. It will do the same on a Roku)

I haven't seen that on the Moto yet, but there are times that something damps the sound on ringtones. I use a holster, and I need to hear it over outside and car noises. Some women carry these huge bags with the phone just tossed in and they can't find the phone if they even hear it ring.

#6 zuben el genub, May 7, 2016
    Last edited: May 7, 2016
  7. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

May 15, 2015
    Male
    Electrician
    Satsuma,Alabama
    Ring tone/volume is pretty loud on my XPE. Mine also kept in holster on belt. Between the loud ring and vibrate when ringing, haven't missed a call and can be noisy where I work.

8. zuben el genub

Jan 24, 2011
    Seidio case. The phone faces in and the surface that the screen touches is made to not scratch.

The front of the phone faces your hip, the holster for the phone (decent plastic) faces your hip and your pants deaden sound.

The Oppo was in a trigger cloth holster

9. Bg260

Bg260  
    VIP Member

Apr 30, 2016
    Male
    Freelance Entrepreneur
    Lincoln
  10. zuben el genub

Jan 24, 2011
    I've got the stupid warning on a Samsung Tab 4. The sound is so bad at some MLB games you can't hear the announcers, which torques me off anyway. I put an external speaker on it and dismiss the warning. The CA games seem to lose volume quite a bit. Some teams have a mic by home plate and if the ball hits the catcher's glove too loudly, the whole sound buggers. Not sure if it's the speaker or the tablet or the RCA jack. I only got the stupid Tab 4 to watch MLB. My old Acer A500 has all the other apps, and they work just fine. I prefer the Acer.

We watch MLB on the Roku on a dumb digital TV and have no sound problems at all. Watching live OTA presents no problems.

No choice for rings and notification sounds on the MXPE. There is only one slider from Min to Max. The only cure is to get a case where the phone faces front or the whole case is cloth. I've never even used the earphone jack. The Tab 4 is wifi only and I do use the external speaker on it. I do not play music on the phone. The controls for music don't seem to work on notifications. Could be a limitation from the length of the ring. You can let the phone go from 4 + rings, but that is far too short musicwise to really adjust.

I can barely hear the MXPE tones for calls and messages in the other room even out of the case - you could hear the Oppo in another room on another floor! The Vulcan's flip Alcatel is louder yet.