• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What are you currently reading?

A Storm of Swords - George RR Martin (re-reading them since they new one should come out this century sometime).

Chainfire - Terry Goodkind (in anticipation of The Omen Machine). This is my third reading of Sword of Truth. I just can't put them down, and you just get really close to the characters. Cara is my favorite character hands down, especially the way she "transforms".

I also have a ton of other books on my nook that I flip to now and again. I spend 75% of my life on the road these days, and I have a LOT of free time to kill loafing around in hotels. Gonna go through this thread and get new ideas!

Upvote 0
A Storm of Swords - George RR Martin (re-reading them since they new one should come out this century sometime).
How many times have you re-read the series so far? Got sick of it when I thought Dance of Dragon was going to come out Sept 2009...re-read all 4 books for no bloody reason :/ I belive that was my 3rd time re-reading everything.

Upvote 0
Did you know they're making a TV show out of it apparently?

Indeed, they are. HBO: Game of Thrones: Homepage

My friend and I were joking about it last night, saying how it's guaranteed to be a short-lived series, since at the rate things are going, it'll finish up before the next book is released.

Martin was my favorite author, but he's dropped to 2nd place. Terry Pratchett took over first place, especially since he's STILL putting out books regularly, even with Alzheimer's. (That, and he's just plain brilliant.)

Upvote 0
Did you know they're making a TV show out of it apparently?
Yup :) I was a HUGE follower of everything Song of Ice and Fire
Indeed, they are. HBO: Game of Thrones: Homepage

My friend and I were joking about it last night, saying how it's guaranteed to be a short-lived series, since at the rate things are going, it'll finish up before the next book is released.

Martin was my favorite author, but he's dropped to 2nd place. Terry Pratchett took over first place, especially since he's STILL putting out books regularly, even with Alzheimer's. (That, and he's just plain brilliant.)
He only got one demotion from you...I've demoted him to the bottom of my all time favourite Author list :/

Upvote 0
How many times have you re-read the series so far? Got sick of it when I thought Dance of Dragon was going to come out Sept 2009...re-read all 4 books for no bloody reason :/ I belive that was my 3rd time re-reading everything.

This is my second run through the series. I figure by the time I finish, the book *may* be done. If not, I'll cross my fingers that I'll remember what happened.

Upvote 0
He only got one demotion from you...I've demoted him to the bottom of my all time favourite Author list :/

I just started the demotions this year, that's the only reason he's not further down yet. Every January 1st, he'll drop one more spot, so he's only got a few years before he's off the list altogether. In order: Terry Pratchett, George R.R. Martin, Christopher Moore, Neil Gaiman. That's my entire list of favorites. Everyone else falls into "my favorite until I read something else I like" or "I like one or two specific books this person wrote."

Upvote 0
Chainfire - Terry Goodkind (in anticipation of The Omen Machine). This is my third reading of Sword of Truth. I just can't put them down, and you just get really close to the characters. Cara is my favorite character hands down, especially the way she "transforms".
Can't wait for Omen Machine!! That is the greatest series i have EVER read. Only discovered it in oct so have only read it once. Cara and i couldn't help but love nicci after book 7. The name escapes me at the moment but book 7(the one set in the old world) was one of the most PoWERFUL book i've ever read. When the first person sees the statue!! I could go on and on but i'll spare roze cause she's to cool to read it:p:p:p

Upvote 0
Can't wait for Omen Machine!! That is the greatest series i have EVER read. Only discovered it in oct so have only read it once. Cara and i couldn't help but love nicci after book 7. The name escapes me at the moment but book 7(the one set in the old world) was one of the most PoWERFUL book i've ever read. When the first person sees the statue!! I could go on and on but i'll spare roze cause she's to cool to read it:p:p:p

I hope there were no spoilers there =/

Upvote 0
I just started the demotions this year, that's the only reason he's not further down yet. Every January 1st, he'll drop one more spot, so he's only got a few years before he's off the list altogether. In order: Terry Pratchett, George R.R. Martin, Christopher Moore, Neil Gaiman. That's my entire list of favorites. Everyone else falls into "my favorite until I read something else I like" or "I like one or two specific books this person wrote."
I've been waiting for 5 years since I finished Feast of Crows :(:mad::( Dance with Dragon was promised to be released in 2006...

Between Feast and Storm of Swords, it took him 5 years as well *sigh* Though I only started reading the series in 2004...so didn't wait long for Feast.

I don't really care that it takes 'long'...what pisses me off is faux expectation that the writer/publishers/distributors have put on their fans. Dance and Feast were suppose to be 'one big book' but the publishers decide to break it down to two part...so they told everyone that the next edition will come out next year. Martin somehow didn't like what he did...so he rewrote the book basically...and then the stupid distributors started writing when the book was out on their website (Amazon/Coles/Chapers) and had 'pre-order' for the book.

Then Martin, instead of focusing on the series has been doing other projects for the past couple of years.

I'm just happy for the HBO series where I can at least have something to distract me.

Upvote 0
I keep watching to see what this Legend book is that NA keeps mentioning he's reading due to Roze's suggestion.

It's called the Drenai Series by David Gemmell. Ask NA, since this is an older series I read and remember loving. NA's and my reading style is very similar so thought he might like this series.

If you're OK to spoiler to Legend, the first book in the series:
The Drenai Empire is under threat. The tribal Nadir people have been united for the first time by the great warleader Ulric, who has forged a massive empire in the North. The Drenai leader Abalayn is trying to negotiate new treaties with Ulric, but war is brewing and a 500,000 strong Nadir army marches on the fortress of Dros Delnoch, gateway to the Drenai heartlands. Dros Delnoch is the greatest fortress in the world, a narrow pass guarded by six concentric walls and a great keep, but under Abalayn its complement of defenders has been reduced to less than 10,000 men under the leadership of an unfit General.
The fate of the Drenai hinges on the defence of Dros Delnoch. If the fortress can hold the Nadir horde for three months, the Drenai general Magnus Woundweaver might be able to gather and train a Drenai army. However, given the odds, no-one truly believes that Delnoch can be held.
The novel follows the stories of two men who find their destiny at Dros Delnoch. Regnak (Rek for short) an ex-army officer and natural 'baresark', seeing a war brewing, resigned his commission because he lacked the courage to risk his life and took to a life of wandering. Rek is an idealist and eventually he returns to Delnoch at the persuasion of the woman he falls in love with and finds his destiny as the Earl of Bronze. The other man is the greatest hero of the Drenai people - Druss the Legend. His death was foretold defending Delnoch and while given the choice to avoid it and fall into senility Druss marched to the great fortress to defend his people one last time. In this story Druss is greatly aged and much weaker than his prime but still a formidable warrior and an inspirational leader to the Drenai. The story also flicks into the perspective of several defenders during different stages of the siege as time goes on. It also follows The Thirty, a group of 30 warrior priests of the light whose purpose is to fight and die (except for one priest that leaves to continue the order at the end of each great battle) for the greater good and their people, the Drenai.
Source:
Legend (novel) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Drenai Series
  1. Legend (1984) (Originally published in the USA as Against the Horde, re-released as Legend)
  2. The King Beyond the Gate (1985)
  3. Waylander (1986)
  4. Quest for Lost Heroes (1990)
  5. Waylander II: In the Realm of the Wolf (1992)
  6. The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend (1993)
  7. The Legend of Deathwalker (1996)
  8. Winter Warriors (1996)
  9. Hero in the Shadows (2000)
  10. White Wolf (2003)
  11. The Swords of Night and Day (2004)
Source:
David Gemmell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upvote 0
I keep watching to see what this Legend book is that NA keeps mentioning he's reading due to Roze's suggestion.

It's called the Drenai Series by David Gemmell. Ask NA, since this is an older series I read and remember loving. NA's and my reading style is very similar so thought he might like this series.
Drenai Series
  1. Legend (1984) (Originally published in the USA as Against the Horde, re-released as Legend)
  2. The King Beyond the Gate (1985)
  3. Waylander (1986)
  4. Quest for Lost Heroes (1990)
  5. Waylander II: In the Realm of the Wolf (1992)
  6. The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend (1993)
  7. The Legend of Deathwalker (1996)
  8. Winter Warriors (1996)
  9. Hero in the Shadows (2000)
  10. White Wolf (2003)
  11. The Swords of Night and Day (2004)
So i've just started book 4 and these books are very well written. The timeline throws me off some, each book i'll be several pages into still wondering when it happens.

2nd book 100 years after 1st, 3rd a long but undefined amount of time before the first, 4th 30 years after the 2nd.... is a bit confusing sometimes. Whereas Sword of truth was 12 books that centered around a few characters and one major conflict(these are still technically stand alone's; each with it's own story) The Drenai is truly 12 separate books (at least as far as i can tell, only on #4), not entirely sure if thats a strength or weakness yet though.

There is an epilogue at the end of each book that leaves something more to be desired(for me) Still, great story and i love the characters, which is perhaps the reason i haven't warmed to the hole 'each book has completely different cast' idea yet.
Am enjoying the series so far, its been right around 1 week and i'm a good chunk through book 4 already, lol.

So far so good!!

Upvote 0
2nd book 100 years after 1st, 3rd a long but undefined amount of time before the first, 4th 30 years after the 2nd.... is a bit confusing sometimes. The Drenai is truly 12 separate books (at least as far as i can tell, only on #4), not entirely sure if thats a strength or weakness yet though.
I think that in itself is its own charm. You don't need to 'follow' the series. If you're at the bookstore and pick up any of the books in the Drenai series, you can read it without feeling like you're lost or missed something.

How do you like the battles and fight scenes? I think that's what make Gemmell really stand out. From what I remember, the way he does the battle scenes is an art.

Upvote 0
[/LIST] So i've just started book 4 and these books are very well written. The timeline throws me off some, each book i'll be several pages into still wondering when it happens.

2nd book 100 years after 1st, 3rd a long but undefined amount of time before the first, 4th 30 years after the 2nd.... is a bit confusing sometimes. Whereas Sword of truth was 12 books that centered around a few characters and one major conflict(these are still technically stand alone's; each with it's own story) The Drenai is truly 12 separate books (at least as far as i can tell, only on #4), not entirely sure if thats a strength or weakness yet though.

There is an epilogue at the end of each book that leaves something more to be desired(for me) Still, great story and i love the characters, which is perhaps the reason i haven't warmed to the hole 'each book has completely different cast' idea yet.
Am enjoying the series so far, its been right around 1 week and i'm a good chunk through book 4 already, lol.

So far so good!!

I think that in itself is its own charm. You don't need to 'follow' the series. If you're at the bookstore and pick up any of the books in the Drenai series, you can read it without feeling like you're lost or missed something.

How do you like the battles and fight scenes? I think that's what make Gemmell really stand out. From what I remember, the way he does the battle scenes is an art.
OK, based on what I've seen of both Roze's and NA's tastes, I've gotten the whole series. Now I just wish I had more time to read. I've already got 2 other series in the fire (WoT and SoT), what's one more?:D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones