• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What are you currently reading?

I think that in itself is its own charm. You don't need to 'follow' the series. If you're at the bookstore and pick up any of the books in the Drenai series, you can read it without feeling like you're lost or missed something.

How do you like the battles and fight scenes? I think that's what make Gemmell really stand out. From what I remember, the way he does the battle scenes is an art.

The battles are extremely detailed, some of the best I've read
Spoiler alert
HE KEEPS KILLINGS EVERYONE, AND I MEAN EVERYONE!

Upvote 0
I'm gonna go ahead and agree with the person that said something about following books that NA and Roze recommend. I've read the Fire and Ice series, Night Angel, Mistborn, working on SoT now.

Still recommend for anyone that likes modern day sci-fi/action/horror thrillers to pick anything up by Jonathan Maberry. His Pine Deep Trilogy was bad @$$ and won him a couple of Bram Stroker horror awards and his other series centered around Joe Ledger I've read multiple times, Patient Zero, The Dragon Factory, and soon to be released The King of Plagues. All of his Joe Ledger books have been optioned by producer Michael De Luca (Se7en, Magnolia, Blade) on behalf of Sony.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, I am old enough to have read "The Gunslinger" in high school only a few years after it was published. :(
I read "The Gunslinger" when I was in High School, the year it came out. I'd read some of the story previously in copies of "The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction" and was thrilled to hear that King was going to contiue it.
Did you finish the series? lol Waiting 20+ years to see if Roland finds the dark tower or not must have been painful if you were a fan.
I started "Wizard and Glass" but never finished it, by that time, the story no longer appealed to me. Perhaps someday, I'll revisit the series.

Upvote 0
I read "The Gunslinger" when I was in High School, the year it came out. I'd read some of the story previously in copies of "The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction" and was thrilled to hear that King was going to contiue it.

I started "Wizard and Glass" but never finished it, by that time, the story no longer appealed to me. Perhaps someday, I'll revisit the series.
Spoiler alert. Don't read this if you want to read/finish the Dark Tower Septology
I felt the story took a turn south after Wizard and Glass tbh. I'm kind of torn how he incorporated other characters from his other work and himself into the plot starting with Wolves of Calla. It was different but at the same time, very clitche. When Roland did find the tower...well all I can say it was very anti climatic :/

I guess even with the mix feelings about the characters from his other work in the book, there was still some suspense and excitement. It was obvious that there wasn't going to be much after he found the Tower but after getting that far, I expected more. lol It was basically 'Roland sees the dark Tower, he opens the gate, he enters and walks up the stairst' The End. The epilogue with Eddy, Susanah and Jake was good though, lol. That kind of saved the series a bit. Still had the *dissapointed* taste in my mouth.

Upvote 0

I decided to try the series again, hoping he would write another one as good as "the drawing of the three".

I like stories that show how a character changes because of the decisions or circumstances of thier life. The Walking Dead is a great example of this. If you like graphic novels at all, I recommend it. Everyone thinks its about Zombies, but it really isn't. There are zombies in the story, but they are secondary by far.

Upvote 0
Did you finish the series? lol Waiting 20+ years to see if Roland finds the dark tower or not must have been painful if you were a fan.

I was in 8th grade when it was released as a trade paperback, and had a relative who was working in a publishing company who got me an advance copy. Was a huge King fan back then, so I immediately read it all the way through...

...and the last 20 pages were missing.

On an advance copy. As in, can't just go to the bookstore and read the last 20 pages, 'cause they didn't have it yet. Aaaargh.

Never even went back to it after that.

Upvote 0
Well just started book... 6 i think in the Denali series (Waylander II) Very interesting series.

He announced awhile ago that Wise Man's Fear should be good to hit in March :) I can't wait
I know i saw that on his site MONTHS ago... been dying for that to come out since i read NOTW last march.

Still waiting on word for The Gentlemen Bastards(scott lynch)... 2 books out for that with supposedly 3 or 4 more to come. First 2 were really good books, different from what i usually read though. Centered around medieval con-men(sort of anyway) extremely fun reads though

Upvote 0
I just finished:The Conqueror's Shadow by Ari Marmell and have to say that I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it. I picked it up on a whim when I was at Barnes the other day. I have a nook color for most of my reading duties but like having a paper copy for those precious morning "movements" prior to hopping in the shower.

Upvote 0
I used them to verify the catalog. Gonna start reading soon.

I'm still 6 or 7 books away from being done with the series i'm on so let me know what you think of him, specifically the 6 available on 'that which should not be named' LOL

PS guys(and roze) I'm gonna move all this aldiko talk to its own thread so we don't clutter up the currently reading thread... Will probably give it a generic 'ebook apps' title....

Upvote 0
I'm still 6 or 7 books away from being done with the series i'm on so let me know what you think of him, specifically the 6 available on 'that which should not be named' LOL

PS guys(and roze) I'm gonna move all this aldiko talk to its own thread so we don't clutter up the currently reading thread... Will probably give it a generic 'ebook apps' title....
I usually read 2 or 3 series at a time (depending on how much one grabs me). Right now I'm rereading 2 so I'm more open to starting a third.

Upvote 0
I usually read 2 or 3 series at a time (depending on how much one grabs me). Right now I'm rereading 2 so I'm more open to starting a third.

Usually i won't ever do that but right now i'm reading Nightangel on my fiancee's kindle and the Denali on my phone via aldiko. It's a little weird for me but i usually don't read unless i'm at work so now while at home i steal the kindle whenever i can

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones