• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What are you currently reading?

Just finished the sword of truth series, great read. Kinda hesitant to start Gemmel, might read a couple non series books lol.
Just finished Denai (no 'L'), was a strange read for sure, very enjoyable though. After those 11 books not sure where i'm gonna go next though. Haven't really had a lot of reading time lately though....:(
Just so anyone who was a fan of Patrick Rothfuss: The Name of the Wind, the second book is out today. The wise man's fear.
:eek::D:eek::D
YES!!! Now that brought a smile to my face, first one in weeks. First book was epic, sucked that book 2 took a couple years to come out. Also really sucks that a certain custom catalog got completely shut down.

Upvote 0
:eek::D:eek::D
YES!!! Now that brought a smile to my face, first one in weeks. First book was epic, sucked that book 2 took a couple years to come out. Also really sucks that a certain custom catalog got completely shut down.

I picked it up at Barnes and Noble today. $30 well spent. 998 pages. I am starting it tonight. Reread the 1st one on my kindle this past weekend.

Upvote 0
Just finished Denai (no 'L'), was a strange read for sure, very enjoyable though. After those 11 books not sure where i'm gonna go next though. Haven't really had a lot of reading time lately though....:(

Reading book 2 of the Drenai series: The king beyond the gate

I absolutely loved Gemmell's stuff. Drenai series was legendary (get it? :p), and I really liked his Stones of Power series.

If you liked Gemmell's stuff, might I suggest Bakker? His Prince of Nothing series is nothing short of stellar. The character fleshing, the world's depth and history, the rich cultures and religions; these are all done amazingly. The only thing wrong with Bakker is that he is still writing his series, and I have to wait so long in between books.

As for being on topic: I'm reading Hofstadter's Godel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid. It's been pretty slow going lately, though; I haven't made much time to read.

Upvote 0
If you liked Gemmell's stuff, might I suggest Bakker? His Prince of Nothing series is nothing short of stellar. The character fleshing, the world's depth and history, the rich cultures and religions; these are all done amazingly. The only thing wrong with Bakker is that he is still writing his series, and I have to wait so long in between books.
Thanks for the recomendationg! :) The bold does scare me a bit. I've sworn never to read an incomplete series again unless I know that the Author is reputable at finishing a book every 1-2 years. If Bakker have his books publised every 3+ yrs... >_>;; I'll have to put him under 'will read when series completed'.

Edit: oh! Just Google him and he's Canadian!!! <3 Must support the Canadian authors!!! lol. I haven't really found many good Canadian fantasy writers.

Upvote 0
Sorry about that. He's been getting his books out regularly. The latest of his fantasy series came out early 2009, with the next one coming out this April. See his Wikipedia page for a better look at his release schedule.

He's also got a couple of standalone novels which are not fantasy books, but still pretty good as thrillers. Though Neuropath is not really recommended for the philosophically innocent. It shook me up a little bit.

Upvote 0
I've been reading The Wise Man's Fear by Rothfuss. I have been waiting forever for it to come out (sequel to The Name of the Wind). Midterms got in the way so I'm not done with it yet. Awesome read so far though.

Finished it last week and now i'm hating knowing i have to wait 2+ years for the next one. F*cking awesome book/series so far. Did you get to the part with ferlurian (sp?) yet??

Btw, i'm reading The Law of Nines now by Terry Goodkind, very enjoyable book that is a good complement to the Sword of Truth series (they are loosely related)

Upvote 0
Enigma Montoya in what appears to be a Star Trek uniform - that makes my brain hurt.

N.A., should I infer that the SOT series is one you've read and liked? You didn't lead me wrong with the NightAngel series. :)

I didn't notice the outfit..... Prepare to die!!

And YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SOT is a MUST read!! Then give Law of Nines a read. Terry Goodkind is a genius!!

I'm between books right now and not sure where to go next.......

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones