• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What are you currently reading?

I like to read books only when I have time. I read constantly when I was in school. I am a student now, besides, I work after university. I don't have time to read books. By the way I recently ordered here book report help.
It is good that for busy students there is such an opportunity now. As there will be time, I will surely read all the necessary literature.

Audiobooks are a nice alternative, particularly if you commute. Your local library probably has an audiobook collection.

Upvote 0
The narration can certainly make or break the experience.

I couldn't stand listening to the BBC radio drama version of LoTR, the ensemble cast describing narrative parts and weird music interludes were too distracting. Rob Inglis' narration was much better, though his singing the many songs/poems left something to be desired (so that's why there is a 30sec forward button on my player!)

Currently, I am listening to Kicking & Dreaming: A Story of Heart, Soul, and Rock and Roll by Anne and Nancy Wilson, narrated by all the participants in the memoir: Anne, Nancy, Richard Fischer, Sue Ennis, etc.

Upvote 0
The thing I read before listening?

I have my tablet, which has--you know, ebooks... In the morning, I hit the intarwebs, do this site, and a few other forums, email, read my daily webcomics.

I listen to audiobooks only during my work commute, which is about 40-60 minutes (depending on weather, traffic, etc), so LoTR took me several months to complete.

I do not report every book I read here, otherwise this thread would be nothing but Dngrsone posts-- I've done 105 books this year, and put down a couple dozen, I'm sure, without finishing.

Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0
Just finished the "Orphan's Legacy" series.
What are the latest Military/Adventure/Action/Historical Science Fiction stories?

And do audiobooks still use casts or is it just some guy or girl reading now?

The first is a broad question at best... John Scalzi has some pretty good military-style SF, though the Honor Harrington series by David Weber are better at actual military side of things (at least the first six books or so). There are also Elizabeth Moon's Serrano Legacy and Vatta's War series (SF), plus her Paksenarrion books (Fantasy), which universe she's revisiting.

Most audiobooks are narrated by someone (or occasionally a group) reading straight from the text, though there are a few radio dramas floating about.

Upvote 0
I just finished Prague Winter by former Secretary of State, Madeleine Albright.

I found it both fascinating and captivating. It is a personal look into her parents' lives in and around Czechoslovakia during the Nazi/Stalin eras. What intrigued me most was that as a child she was shielded from most of what was going on, both in the world and in her family and only found out much of the truth after her parents had passed. They never talked about their personal experiences and how they lost the majority of the family in the Holocaust.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones