1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

What are you listening to?

Discussion in 'Music & Media' started by TateWatkins, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Notes_Norton

Notes_Norton Android Enthusiast

"The Cat" - Jimmy Smith

(and old CD 'friend' I haven't listened to in a year or two)

Advertisement

2. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

More cable TV but with barcoloungers!

3. Milo Willamson

Milo Willamson Android Expert

Ahh..... Really how expensive where they ?

4. dontpanicbobby

VIP Member

OT: At least $1000 a piece unless they are actually pleather. :thinking:
    Items may appear more expensive on TV.

5. Milo Willamson

OT: I used to have a pleather couch, my mother got it in the 70s :) Now it is replaced by my Grandmother's couch, it used to be a foldable bed, whereas this hunk of around 200 lbs. pressurized the metal frames, and it got to be a bothersome putting it back together and vice versa. Ah my college days...

dontpanicbobby likes this.
  6. dontpanicbobby

VIP Member

So I've been listening to decade spanning mashup/remixes lately. It's amazing what some people can do with other people's songs...

olbriar likes this.
  7. Notes_Norton

Computer and PA amplifier fans.

8. Milo Willamson

Should I reply ? haha..!!
    Same old digging around through my collection...

9. Davdi

Davdi Android Expert

Steve Miller Band - Living in the 20th Cntury

10. dontpanicbobby

VIP Member

Black Dog - Led Zeppelin

11. olbriar

olbriar  

I listened to XM seventies rock all weekend. They were streaming some good stuff.

12. mikedt

mikedt 你好

A very early and very short song from Gary Numan.

@Clementine_3 might appreciate this.

13. Notes_Norton

I bought a new turntable and put on "The Baddest Turrentine" by the great sax player, Stanley Turrentine". My old turntable broke well over a year ago, so now I'm listening to music I haven't heard in over a year.

olbriar likes this.
  14. olbriar

olbriar  

I retired my turntable a number of years back. I'm missing the treasures I have on vinyl now.
    I've been considering investing in a USB turntable that will allow me to rip some of those obscure tunes I collected but never saw much if any air time. I tossed the turntable but could not part with my vinyl collection.

I've been slowly and methodically going through my digital library. The idea is to create a definitive folder of tunes to port to my phone. I'm now into the tunes with artists start with O.
    It's a slow process, trying to find the best recording and bit rate I have of each artist and tune I'd enjoy randomly listening to. I collected freely way back in the day and with over 60K+ tunes to sort though, it's proving to be a daunting task.

What I've been listening to lately are tunes done by artists starting with A through N. :)

15. Notes_Norton

After listening to a lot on the turntable I find some things I like better on vinyl, others on CD.

Probably because my primary instrument is saxophone, I find most sax players better on vinyl. The tone on digital recordings adds an unrealistic edge. The general public might not notice that, but sax players work on their tone all their lives.

Cool school jazz seems to sound better on vinyl.

Symphonies sound better on CD, but I have some out of print classics that aren't available on CD, it's good to hear them again. I'll probably take the time to digitize them some day, but it's the tourist season down here and the gigging is plenty.

CDs put an edge or sheen on everything. It's part of the process at the CD bitrate. One of the inventors of the CD in an article I read in a trade mag said CDs have severe quantization errors and (unrelated) add some high harmonics not present in the original tone of the voice or instrument.

On the other hand, Vinyl has surface noise and as the record wears, a degradation of the high frequencies.

So it's a matter of which distortion do you prefer for the particular thing you are listening to.

Right now I've got the windows open and I'm listening to the tropical breezes and the birds singing, but I'm probably going to put a recording on soon.

Notes

16. dontpanicbobby

VIP Member

My landlord uncle just reminded me I have a lot of albums stored in the basement and I don't have anymore space. So I listened to that.

Now I'm listening to
    James Bond Medley - BBC Prom 2011.
    Was there really a BBC Orchestra after all?

17. Milo Willamson

I believe so there was a BBC Orchestra, there is like a sixties channel, and they also do a BBC Orchestra for other artist too, (i.e. Buffet, also a few other songs I cannot think of this moment)

18. dontpanicbobby

VIP Member

Did the BBC have one first though?

19. Bearsyzf

Bearsyzf Android Expert

Queen, Another one bites the dust.

20. Notes_Norton

On the CD player is Dvorak's Symphony #9, "From The New World" conducted by Neeme Järvi

It seems right to open the new year with the New World Symphony.

21. rootabaga

rootabaga Extreme Android User

I first heard "Dueling Banjos" in the movie "Deliverance."

It's lots older than that. Here's a snippet from The Andy Griffith Show (featuring some slick mandolin work, too):

22. dontpanicbobby

VIP Member

A recycling truck trying to turn onto my street, then into a gated driveway.
    Soothing actually.

23. Milo Willamson

Mayhem - the freezing moon right now. :)