1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

what are you using to save battery/ manage apps

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mach1man, Feb 10, 2011.

1. mach1man

mach1man Android Expert

I got my girlfriend the fascinate and I'm wondering what app manager to use. We were using watchdog lite and battery indicator pro but I've switched it to advanced task killer and dropped watchdog. I really need some help bc my set up on my incredible isn't working for her fascinate. Thanks

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. s44

s44 Android Enthusiast

Nothing, as far as apps. Undervolted kernel to save power and a circle battery mod to see it.

You're really better off without task killers.

3. GoBruins

GoBruins Well-Known Member

juice defender app

remove your bloat (apps you don't need)

turn off haptic feedback

4. dbalch

dbalch Member

Just buy a spare battery. They are easy to switch out. Then you can actually use your machine, get all the apps you want etc. without worrying all the time. It will only set you back $30, or less if you buy Chinese knockoffs on ebay.

5. 3cutiger

3cutiger Member

Here's what I do and my battery lasts all day, usually at or above 50% life at end of day

Set brightness to minimal

Turn off GPS unless using, right now since the latest OTA, locks on so quick, not really an issue for me

Take off live wallpapers and use a wallpaper with darker colors

Only have wifi on when using wifi, otherwise disable it.

6. saps

saps Extreme Android User

Thats just plain smart. GPS and Wifi should only be on when using them of course. Thats just me I know some others keep it on all the time and thats their choice but without question that uses battery. I do use a live wallpaper [microbes]. But other its minimal useless battery drain and like you screen brightness all the way down

7. nklenchik

nklenchik Android Enthusiast

I used Juicedefender. It saves battery, but completely screws up your mobile data. Didn't get any push notifications when I used that.

8. Don S

Don S Android Enthusiast

I have a quite different approach that works well.

I do use a live wallpaper and don't turn anything radios off. 50% brightness all day on display, 2 minute timeout. My battery life is pretty good, lasts all day with moderate use and then some.

All I do is have all apps that poll servers set for longer intervals. Apps that poll servers frequently, I have found, are the biggest source of battery hog for me. So instead of your e-mail app, twitter app, etc, etc check every 5 or 10 minutes, I set them to 30 minutes. Works very very well I have found. But you have to do it for all polling apps or it defeats the purpose.

Good luck!

9. mach1man

mach1man Android Expert

thank you for your help. She doesn't use live wallpapers but her wallpaper is a bright one. I have set the brightness down to like 15% and wifi and gps are disabled unless needed. I'm going to have to double check the polling apps like facebook and email. I installed no led for her so that she will know when she has a text message and I think thats what is draining the battery. If you leave it sit with the icon flashing I noticed the display usage is way up.

10. s44

s44 Android Enthusiast

BLN > NoLED

Only works on rooted Eclair so far though.

11. mach1man

mach1man Android Expert

darn. I have not rooted her fascinate

12. Synack

Synack Well-Known Member

The biggest cause of battery loss for the Fascinate is mobile data and screen brightness.

If you jack the screen down way low then that'll solve half of the problem.

Find a widget that turns off mobile data, or when Feb 22nd rolls around you will have the Mobile Data toggle at the top next to GPS.

And a subset of the notification polling is part of mobile data. If mobile data is off then your phone will not get information from Facebook, email, etc. So if you want to have mobile data always on then I suggest looking for a Data Sync widget so you can turn off sync when you don't want it or like Don S said, just set the intervals at longer times. 30 minutes is a good start. 1 hour seems to be a great sweet spot.

Hope this helps.

P.S. - Task killers help a littttttle bit, but the best task killer out there is the stock Froyo one on the Fascinate that she will be getting 2/22/2011. RAM Manager is what's in it and it will kill damn near everything that's actually important.

13. neotrixy

neotrixy Well-Known Member

This is exactly what I do too. I have a widget for quick enable and disable of the radios and dimmer for screen. I just click a quick button when I want to check my email or use gps or whatever. Takes literally an extra second to do, and will save you hours of battery life. This is the best approach to battery life. This and running Froyo, I've had a huge improvement with my battery life. So for everyone not running Froyo already, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised to see the battery life improvement with just the s/w update.

But if you don't want to this method, Juice defender is the way to go. You have to take the time to customize it right, but after the initial set up, you're good to go.

14. ISASoilder

ISASoilder Well-Known Member

Advanced Task Killer seams to help in Lag to.

15. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Android Expert

task killers are a no-no for android....remember its a linux-based operating system...not windows...it handles memory differently...and task killers will actually hurt battery life by killing apps that would be better served running in the background

16. saps

This should be someone's signature. Seriously

17. karib

karib Android Enthusiast

Is this included in the superclean froyo rom?

18. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Android Expert

i think ofthedamned used to have something on task killers signature wise

19. saps

Yeah what happened to her did she disappear?

20. bmxdad

bmxdad Member

I use Watchdog Lite to take care of any out of control apps. GPS, auto-rotate and Wireless are off unless they are needed.

Bat will last a good day and a half with lite use.

21. vi3tboiii54

vi3tboiii54 Lurker

Ever since i rooted with clockwork mod recovery and flashed DL30 2.2 battery life was superb. When EB01 2.2 leak came around my battery was draining like crazy, I tried wiping battery stats with no avail. What it narrowed down to was the mobile data and screen usage, I downloaded juice defender and now i get more than a day out of my battery with a good amount of usage. I set it to default which enables data when the screen turns on and disables it when it turns off. Stay away from task killers use the stock one!

22. nklenchik

nklenchik Android Enthusiast

How are your push notifications with it? :p

23. vi3tboiii54

vi3tboiii54 Lurker

haha ya not so great i only enable google apps to sync but the rest i check manually i dont need to be constantly notified that much in a day

Samsung Fascinate Forum

The Samsung Fascinate release date was Q3 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, GB RAM, Hummingbird processor, and 1500mAh battery.

Q3 2010
Release Date
Reviews