• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What are your complaints about Moto Droid?

My main complaint is that I only have 3 home screens. There's a lot of neat widgets I'd like to tuck in somewhere, but I don't have the space.

And no, I don't like any of the home replacement apps, either. They add too much other junk, I ONLY want more home screens.

It's a phone. It's not a computer. It's not a Playstation 3. It's not a Blu-ray disk player! Just in passing, what do you do in the 3 hours a day you aren't fiddling with your Droid?;)

Upvote 0
This phone has changed my life and I'm thankful for that but it's far from perfect and I will be looking at what comes out over the next 12-24 months.

1. The physical keyboard is a disaster. Why they came up with this design is a mystery. Add to this that its layout is often dramatically different than the virtual keyboard. "Oh, that's right, the question mark is on the second page now". Furthermore it several limits what you can use with regard to a protective case as ANY additional thickness on the display means even more trouble touching any of the top row of keys.

2. No ability to sort the contact by last name. Are you kidding me with this? 99% of humanity looks up people by their last name. I don't care what Facebook does. I end up having to dig through 20 Steve's for the right one.

3. Gmail app is extremely limited. I made the switch away from Thunderbird and have been homesick since. No RSS support. CC'ing includes ME. Reply button in ludicrous placement at the bottom.

4. Call log refers to calls from 48 hours ago as "Yesterday". In what world does that make any sense?

5. The camera is, even after 2.0.1, pretty useless. Getting it to read a bar code requires amazingly perfect lighting. I can see the barcode just fine. Why can't it?

6. I'm still not sure what the heck is going on with volumes. Ringer volume. Media volume. Volume is volume. Sometimes it turns down one and other times it turns down the other. So what's an alarm volume? Is that ringer or media? I'm never sure what I'm going to get.

7. Lack of common UI. Sometimes the back button exits an app. Sometimes it doesn't. Roll the big wheel to find out because you'll never know and mostly it's the opposite of what you wanted. I find myself sometimes leaving an app 3 times in succession trying to get to the top level of the app.

8. The market sucks. Wanna have some fun? Go look for a "calculator". I think there are over a thousand of them (and if there are 10,000 apps doesn't it suck of 10% of all the apps are calculators?) If I were a developer I'd be even more pissed. There's no way to really adequately search the market. It's just a big long list of mainly crap. Sort by Rating? Sort by Date? Sort by Popularity? More sub-categories? Come on.

Yeah... #8
I wish market had a better shopping/search system, even if they had them listed in some type of rated order, starting with 5 stars down. Why is some Apps with one or one and half stars even listed, if your App can't get a 3 star listing in a month, it should be scrapped.

Upvote 0
This phone has changed my life and I'm thankful for that but it's far from perfect and I will be looking at what comes out over the next 12-24 months.

1. The physical keyboard is a disaster. Why they came up with this design is a mystery. Add to this that its layout is often dramatically different than the virtual keyboard. "Oh, that's right, the question mark is on the second page now". Furthermore it several limits what you can use with regard to a protective case as ANY additional thickness on the display means even more trouble touching any of the top row of keys.

2. No ability to sort the contact by last name. Are you kidding me with this? 99% of humanity looks up people by their last name. I don't care what Facebook does. I end up having to dig through 20 Steve's for the right one.

3. Gmail app is extremely limited. I made the switch away from Thunderbird and have been homesick since. No RSS support. CC'ing includes ME. Reply button in ludicrous placement at the bottom.

4. Call log refers to calls from 48 hours ago as "Yesterday". In what world does that make any sense?

5. The camera is, even after 2.0.1, pretty useless. Getting it to read a bar code requires amazingly perfect lighting. I can see the barcode just fine. Why can't it?

6. I'm still not sure what the heck is going on with volumes. Ringer volume. Media volume. Volume is volume. Sometimes it turns down one and other times it turns down the other. So what's an alarm volume? Is that ringer or media? I'm never sure what I'm going to get.

7. Lack of common UI. Sometimes the back button exits an app. Sometimes it doesn't. Roll the big wheel to find out because you'll never know and mostly it's the opposite of what you wanted. I find myself sometimes leaving an app 3 times in succession trying to get to the top level of the app.

8. The market sucks. Wanna have some fun? Go look for a "calculator". I think there are over a thousand of them (and if there are 10,000 apps doesn't it suck of 10% of all the apps are calculators?) If I were a developer I'd be even more pissed. There's no way to really adequately search the market. It's just a big long list of mainly crap. Sort by Rating? Sort by Date? Sort by Popularity? More sub-categories? Come on.

#1: Try the Seidio Innocase. It is spendy at $29.95, but hey, it's a $500 phone (if you trash it). The qwerty keyboard isn't at all impaired by it. By far the best case I have ever used on ANY phone. Hugs the Droid like a glove. In my view, it makes it easier to hold and use the phone. Add another $20 for the clip holster, and you will think you are in Droid heaven.

Looks great, too.

Innocase Surface, Black

Upvote 0
I really do love my droid, but here are a few of my compliants:

1.) The need to install an app to enable multiple screens, which severely slows down the system
2.) It's difficult to create playlists (unless I'm missing something here)
3.) When creating a new text message, about 50% of the time it does recognize the contact I'm typing in so I have to start over
4.) All of your apps are stored on the internal hard drive, not the card.
5.) It does not display how many characters I've already typed in a text. Big pain since Verizon only allows you 160 characters
6.) The slide-out keyboard is lame. Not a dealbreaker though since I think the soft-keyboard totally rocks.
7.) Battery dies so quickly. Although this is true with most smart phones. At least you have the option to switch it out....
8.) The camera is pretty lame, even with the new update

I can't really think of anything else right now. Even though this is a list of complaints, 5-8 are very minor to me. I've played around with iPhone and have an iTouch and neither one compare in my eyes to the capabilities of the Droid. I'm looking forward to future software updates to improve major problems, and don't worry, I have no intentions of ever returning this awesome phone. :)

Upvote 0
There isn't an option for cream and/or sugar. Don't get me wrong, I love my Droid and I installed the Makin' Coffe app and though my Droid makes really good coffee, I had to purchase cream and sugar from another source.

Just kidding. It's 320am and my Droid is sitting boxed, under the Christmas tree, courtesy of Mrs. Claus. I'm so excited, I have Droid drool.

I had to type something, somewhere.

Now, for that coffee...:eek:

Upvote 0
This is my first real smart phone. I switched over from a Rival. My primary reason was that when I am away from home (12+ hour work days) and I need net access, damnit, I need it now. That aspect has been beyond flawless insofar as it is a phone, not a portable PC.

Key words from above, it's a phone!

1. - BT dialing, and other various commands. If it can use the inboard mic to take voice commands it should be able to use the BT. Honestly shocked when I found out it did not.

2. - Unable to create a folder in the apps pull up menu to dump unused programs/shortcuts (Amazon, Youtube, Corp. Email...). Yeah, I know I can root the phone and get rid of them that way, but the risks for me outweigh the need.

3. - Lack of a comprehensive user manual explaining all the features of the phone and how to use them.

4. - "There's an app for that!" Yeah, where the hell is it? The market needs better organization, like yesterday. Kind of like searching forums for something, unless the OP describes it right (Title, short and to the point in the post) you have to sift through hundreds of hits to maybe find what you are looking for.

5. - Transferring bookmarks via foxmarks or something to have them on your phone.

6. - Contacts have to be in Vcard format. Outlook is the devil, so it was a huge PITA to transfer my Gmail contacts. I had to do a frightening amount of back and forth after making a CSV and creating a new Gmail account for just my phone contacts.

7. - Phone not supported by MPT. (WTH Motorola, it's your phone. Why isn't it supported?) This is one HUGE feature I miss that my RAZR had. 90% phone access from my laptop, including making calls and sending text messages. (Rival did not have it either though)

The rest of my gripes are about the available apps, not phone issues.

I'm sure there are more, but I am going to just treat it like a phone for a while and keep an eye on the forums for things I either missed, or forgot about. I am pretty much going to play the part of a grass eater and convince myself that most of the issues are just software things, and will be fixed in a timely manner.

RE - App stored on the phone. Astro has a backup function that backups all the apps to the sd card (and I presume the phone as well) then it is as easy as drag and drop to your PC.

Upvote 0
Hey guys, I'm wondering what your top complaints are about the Motorola Droid?

I've seen a lot of people wanting to return their Moto Droids, so I'm just wondering what's up.

When listing your complaints please start with your biggest complaint and go in a large to small order if you would. Why? Because it will be easier for me to make a list with them.

Cheers!
No way I'm returning Droid...love it too much!

Upvote 0
My main complaint is that I only have 3 home screens. There's a lot of neat widgets I'd like to tuck in somewhere, but I don't have the space.

And no, I don't like any of the home replacement apps, either. They add too much other junk, I ONLY want more home screens.

Home++ gives you up to 7 screens. The only thing it adds is the powerstrip on the bottom, and you can eliminate most of that mess, if you so choose. But if you leave the powerstrip on, you can actually eliminate the need for a few shortcuts, like the phone dialer, contacts, voice dialer, and task manager. You can also turn your notification menu off, leaving for better looking wallpapers.

Upvote 0
My complaints are pretty minor and probably fixable

1. Haven't figured out how to save pix, video, or music from text messages. Seems silly that you can't.

(haha, Island of Misfit Toys commercial just popped on)

2. Speaking of texts, when I'm composing a new text, my contacts don't always pop up in the search menu. Even if I put the whole name. Grrr.

3. Wish that when you're playing a tone that it'd give you the option to add as a contact ringtone and not just the overall ringtone. And when I do change a ringtone, it automatically overides all contact ringtones.

Upvote 0
My complaints are pretty minor and probably fixable

1. Haven't figured out how to save pix, video, or music from text messages. Seems silly that you can't.

Did you try long pressing the pic? I'm pretty sure that's how you do it.

(haha, Island of Misfit Toys commercial just popped on)

2. Speaking of texts, when I'm composing a new text, my contacts don't always pop up in the search menu. Even if I put the whole name. Grrr.

I've never had this problem, they always pop up.

3. Wish that when you're playing a tone that it'd give you the option to add as a contact ringtone and not just the overall ringtone. And when I do change a ringtone, it automatically overides all contact ringtones.

Yeah.

:D

Upvote 0
Found a few more.

Camera - (Menu/Share)
No select from contacts option with messaging (that I could find)
Gmail option brings up "30 day tiral version - WTF!!!, again, no contacts option
I have no facebook,
Picassa I suspect will work fine if you have a picassa account.

Messaging from contacts; attach pics.
Read in another post that someone was having issues with sending pics in text messages. I sent one to myself no problem. Also sent one to my email, 10 minuets, still not received. Going to try again to a different account.

Messaging menu, new message - No select recipient from contacts option
Gmail menu, new message - No select recipient from contacts option

No root menu for communications - Older phones had compiled messaging menu that showed received calls, missed calls, messaging inbox, sent, voicemail...

No "insert quick text" like every other phone I have had that was text enabled.

UPDATE - Gmail was choking on something, I had to go to Advance Task Killer, and shut down all apps, then the sync started and email arrived with pic.

Upvote 0
Hey guys, I'm wondering what your top complaints are about the Motorola Droid?

I've seen a lot of people wanting to return their Moto Droids, so I'm just wondering what's up.

When listing your complaints please start with your biggest complaint and go in a large to small order if you would. Why? Because it will be easier for me to make a list with them.

Cheers!

I have had mine since it came out and I am very sorry to say I can't help your list. I have also read way more people that love the phone than are talking about wanting to return it. I do have some friends that are never happy with anything. There are people like that out there, oh well.

Upvote 0
I have trouble with my Droid re-dialing the last caller I dialed. My daughter listened to me the other a.m. carrying on a total conversation with her Dad. Sometimes re-dials last called 3-4x. Do I need to add a password?

Since I've learned some of the quirks, I like it pretty well. I had never had a SmartPhone so took some getting used to. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones