• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What battery problems?

gigadigit

May 31, 2010
Because of all the battery complaints from the review sites, I decided to post this. It was with moderate to high usage (blutooth calls, texting, web surfing on both 3G and WiFi). I had 4G off, Wifi on and off, and GPS off.

If you look at the hours it has been unplugged for 16 hours.
Look at the battery bar. It still has more than 50%.

PyT6b.jpg

The reviews about terrible battery life are true though... and I had an original touch pro. I have depleted my battery from full three complete times in only 14 hours before... that's with heavy use. Hell, all it took was 10 mins of replica island and a 20 minute phone call and the battery was at 60%... that's after only 55 minutes of uptime. I didn't do anything else in that time. It's basically unacceptable. I had WiFi off, bt off, gps on, 4g off, and everything else default, with only my Google account added. It's kind of maddening how bad it is.

Upvote 0
wow. why is my android system at 96%?

I figured this out for myself... When the android system percentage is high that's what's been using the battery, i.e. all you are using is apps/the internet browser. Plus, if you just unplugged then the % will be higher.
And to the battery issue, I say I just listened to 45 mins of music and watched The Hangover (With pausing, rewinding and playing with the display) and I had 70% battery left...

Upvote 0
Because of all the battery complaints from the review sites, I decided to post this. It was with moderate to high usage (blutooth calls, texting, web surfing on both 3G and WiFi). I had 4G off, Wifi on and off, and GPS off.

If you look at the hours it has been unplugged for 16 hours.
Look at the battery bar. It still has more than 50%.

PyT6b.jpg
What is your ATK settings? I avg around 15 hrs with the same use but only have around 30% battery left without using ATK. I want to download ATK and see what I avg. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
these shots don't really tell much. those in combination with the previous screen that shows awake time is what i wanna see. i can do that too if i just didn't use the phone...

Awake time only tells you how long the phone has been up since the last boot. I don't understand what you're wanting to see. My current Awake Time is 78:23 min my Up Time is 130:47.

Upvote 0
Just a friendly reminder on how to "condition" the battery..

-Charge it up 100% while the phone is OFF; when the green light comes on, charge it another 30 minutes just to be sure its completely full
-Use your phone until the battery DIES COMPLETELY..I mean stone dead, nada
-Charge it up again, 100% while its off, wait until the green light comes on, and you are good to go

If you do this one time, you will see much improved battery life for your phone

Its nice to do this once a month or so, but not really necessary

I worked for a battery charger mfg for many years, so I know this makes a difference

This is a powerful mini computer, and its gonna need juice, so dont expect miracles from it, especially with the stock factory battery

Upvote 0
I had the same issues with the android systems being high, I rebooted my phone and for some reason that made it start lowering until it got under 30%.

For those who have the high cell standby, I have been doing the little trick I did with my hero.

From the dialer dial

*#*#4636#*#*,
A window will pop up and pick phone information
A new screen will pop up and shows alot of information, hit menu, select change radio, a force close will happen which is fine.
From there scroll down to radio and it should say GSM Auto prl, change that to CDMA Auto Prl and hit home.
I forget the reason but somehow the radio isn't preset to CDMA and that causes issues with the signal.
Doing this will make your time without signal eventually drop to 2% or so.
Only catch with this, whenever you reboot your phone it automatically resets to GSM, so you will need to do it after any reboot but it will keep that percentage down to barely nothing. Hope this helps you out.

Upvote 0
Humm... I tried following the steps listed below and my phone was already set to cdma auto prl.

I had the same issues with the android systems being high, I rebooted my phone and for some reason that made it start lowering until it got under 30%.

For those who have the high cell standby, I have been doing the little trick I did with my hero.

From the dialer dial

*#*#4636#*#*,
A window will pop up and pick phone information
A new screen will pop up and shows alot of information, hit menu, select change radio, a force close will happen which is fine.
From there scroll down to radio and it should say GSM Auto prl, change that to CDMA Auto Prl and hit home.
I forget the reason but somehow the radio isn't preset to CDMA and that causes issues with the signal.
Doing this will make your time without signal eventually drop to 2% or so.
Only catch with this, whenever you reboot your phone it automatically resets to GSM, so you will need to do it after any reboot but it will keep that percentage down to barely nothing. Hope this helps you out.

Upvote 0
Just a friendly reminder on how to "condition" the battery..

-Charge it up 100% while the phone is OFF; when the green light comes on, charge it another 30 minutes just to be sure its completely full
-Use your phone until the battery DIES COMPLETELY..I mean stone dead, nada
-Charge it up again, 100% while its off, wait until the green light comes on, and you are good to go

If you do this one time, you will see much improved battery life for your phone

Its nice to do this once a month or so, but not really necessary

I worked for a battery charger mfg for many years, so I know this makes a difference

This is a powerful mini computer, and its gonna need juice, so dont expect miracles from it, especially with the stock factory battery

Just a friendly reminder that you don't have to or need to condition Lithium ion batteries.

Also, like ive said 100 times before. When 2 spare batts and a charger are 12$, there is no excuse for any battery life issues.

The ONLY time i've ever seen abusrd battery use was when I was on the outskirts of Atlanta and the phone was working its butt off for a 4G signal.

Upvote 0
I came from Blackberry Curve, and I am used to going to the task switcher and exiting apps.

For ATK, I am using the following settings:
Auto Start - On
Auto Kill Level - Agressive
Auto Kill Frequency - When screen off

I kept a few programs in the ignore list like voicemail, messages, voice dialer, handcent, clock, and voice search.

When I kill the apps manually, I keep the Advanced Task Killer Free unchecked and kills everything on the list.

For Accounts and Sync settings:
Background data: On
Auto Sync: off
I sync manually for google mail and news.

For display, I kept it at around 1/4 brightness, and 1 minute to turn black. So if I am making a phone call that lasts 30 minutes, the screen is on for less than 1 minute as the front sensor turns the screen off.

dude WTF HOW! pls tell your ATK settings and anything else, 16 hours is ALL i need in a day and i BARELY scrape by (talking like 5-10 left)

Upvote 0
So this wad b4 a hard reset with ATK downloaded and all of the system updates...
052fa10e.png

And this is after a hard reset with no ATK downloaded and no system updates (prl, firmware, or profile)... Also did the GSM to CDMA trick with *#*#4636#*#*
75d810a8.png

Edit: apparently a hard reset doesnt elimiate the update i previously downloaded.. (http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/91176-clear-storage-doesnt-remove-update.html)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones