1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

What boatware is not needed and should I upgrade?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Jchance, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Jchance

Jchance Lurker
    None

Jun 11, 2011
    I am new to the forum and I am getting my first smart phone and waiting for my Fascinate to arrive through the mail. I don't know a lot about them but I have been reading a lot and doing my research. I plan on rooting my phone. I was wondering what "bloatware" that comes with the phone was not needed for normal functions that I could get rid of? (Ex. I read that if you delete Google talk you won't be able to download apps?)Also, should I upgrade from the 2.1 and if so, should I do so before or after I root my phone and git rid of the bloatware? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

2. Jchance

Jchance Lurker
    None

Jun 11, 2011
    It's been over 24 hours and no replies. I hope I didn't do anything wrong or offend? As I said iI am new to the forum and smartphones in general and didn't mean any disrespect. I just recieved my SF today and I am hoping hoping I get some guidance to get started the right way with the help of those on here that know much more than I do on these phones. Thanks again in advance.

3. nunyazz

nunyazz Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 7, 2010
    No, nothing wrong.
    You can do one of a couple things to remove the bloat, the easiest would be to load a de-bloated rom or you can use Titanium backup to freeze the bloat programs in question. It is better to freeze them than delete, in case you have issues, you can always thaw them.

4. Jchance

Jchance Lurker
    None

Jun 11, 2011
    Thanks for the reply and the tips. I am going to look into that. Any other tips?