• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root what bootloader do you have?

scotty85

Extreme Android User
Jul 25, 2010
my other thread got me to wondering,how many of us on the forum here have gone thru the effort to get the 1.49.0000 S-OFF bootloader?

please respond with your bootloader version and wether its S-OFF or S-ON

ill start,mine is the 1.49.2000 S-OFF

no motive or reason,just simple curiosity :p:D

I've flashed my bootloader probably more times than any other Eris owner in the world - perhaps between 50 and 100 times - mostly for various testing purposes though. If I had to choose one and stick to it, it would certainly be 1.49.2000 S-OFF - that's what I keep on the phone "by default"

There are some recovery capabilities of the S-OFF bootloader - most notably the ability to boot a (bootable) image file "across the wire" that are extremely helpful in certain disaster repair scenarios, and also is efficient if you are developing customized boot images.

But, I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say that everybody should install it, as it gives people new and more powerful ways to destroy their own phones.

Upvote 0
1.49.0000 S-ON. When xtrROM 5.1 comes out I will finally update my phone again (for the last time?) so how do I get S-OFF?

Bberry,

These are the links that Scotty provided for me: xda-developers - View Single Post - Boot Screen help ::Solved:: and more importantly read this one: xda-developers - View Single Post - [Q] s-off with KaosFroyo.

This is how I did it:

1. I downloaded the "erisengspl.zip" file to my pc then mounted my phone and moved the zip file to my sd card. Check your md5 sums and make sure they match exactly. VERY IMPORTANT.

2. In whatever file manager you use, make sure the zip file is in the root of your sd card. DON'T USE ROM MANAGER. Refrence the problem GJW is having with rom manager in
xtrSENSE (
multipage.gif
1 2) starting with post #73.

3. Boot into recovery and flash the zip just like flashing a rom.

4. When done reboot. The boot menu will display again and at the bottom it will say formatting cache (or something to that effect) and looks like it's hung. Reboot again. It will then reboot to your rom.

5. Go into your file manager and delete the zip file.

6. If you want to check if it took go into hboot and see if it changed.

THAT'S HOW I DID IT. Do your reading and if EU1 or DOOGALD or SCOTTY or SCARY ALIEN have anything to add please do so.:)

Upvote 0
Bberry,

These are the links that Scotty provided for me: xda-developers - View Single Post - Boot Screen help ::Solved:: and more importantly read this one: xda-developers - View Single Post - [Q] s-off with KaosFroyo.

This is how I did it:

1. I downloaded the "erisengspl.zip" file to my pc then mounted my phone and moved the zip file to my sd card. Check your md5 sums and make sure they match exactly. VERY IMPORTANT.

2. In whatever file manager you use, make sure the zip file is in the root of your sd card. DON'T USE ROM MANAGER. Refrence the problem GJW is having with rom manager in
xtrSENSE (
multipage.gif
1 2) starting with post #73.

3. Boot into recovery and flash the zip just like flashing a rom.

4. When done reboot. The boot menu will display again and at the bottom it will say formatting cache (or something to that effect) and looks like it's hung. Reboot again. It will then reboot to your rom.

5. Go into your file manager and delete the zip file.

6. If you want to check if it took go into hboot and see if it changed.

THAT'S HOW I DID IT. Do your reading and if EU1 or DOOGALD or SCOTTY or SCARY ALIEN have anything to add please do so.:)

I believe that these instructions are for 1.49.0000 S-ON ONLY. IIRC, 1.46.0000 S-ON shouldn't touch these steps with a ten foot pole.

Upvote 0
new to Eris but IV been rooting for a wwhile on the lg ally but we didn't have a boot loader what iis it and what are the options to have amd whats the bbest?

It is highly likely that your Ally had/has something which acts as a bootloader, although you may not have had more than one choice of versions available to you.

Bootloaders are sometimes called "IPL" (Initial Program Loader) or "SPL" (Secondary Program Loader) - they are usually real-mode code responsible for preparing the device to boot a Linux kernel image. In principle, they could be extremely simple bits of code, or they could be quite sophisticated; but they are almost always proprietary, as they are highly specific to an individual device.

In the standard Android "usage model", there are two different boots available: the normal boot, and the recovery boot. Optionally, there is another mode where the phone listens on a hardware port for a specific, simple, (and extensible) Android protocol called "fastboot", and this can be used by the device manufacturer to create whatever they want for maintenance, diagnostics, testing, etc.

At a minimum, though, probably a primitive bootloader does things like read the state of buttons which are pressed on the phone at start-up, to allow the phone's user to select the normal boot or the recovery boot.

HTC's bootloader on the Eris is more sophisticated than this, and has 3 major modes of operation: HBOOT, FASTBOOT, and RUU... in addition to it's "normal" use where it is only alive for a fraction of a second before it passes control to the regular OS during booting.

I won't tell you to pick a certain version, but there have been 4 different Eris bootloaders released into the wild:

1.46.0000 S-ON
1.47.0000 S-ON
1.49.0000 S-ON
1.49.2000 S-OFF

The S-OFF version was leaked by someone who had access to HTC engineering samples - the "S-OFF" designation means that all the normal "security" checks that the bootloader performs for a production phone (S-ON) are disabled. This means that it is more capable, and also more dangerous - you could easily brick your phone using it without understanding what you are doing.

My advice to you is you search here and on XDA for the terms "HBOOT", "FASTBOOT", and "RUU", and then decide what you want to do; in the meantime, changing your bootloader (the single most dangerous flashing operation you can perform on your Eris) isn't necessary for trying out new ROMs.

eu1

Upvote 0
My advice to you is you search here and on XDA for the terms "HBOOT", "FASTBOOT", and "RUU", and then decide what you want to do; in the meantime, changing your bootloader (the single most dangerous flashing operation you can perform on your Eris) isn't necessary for trying out new ROMs.

eu1

lol...there it is! (from the source ;)).

By the way, here's a link I found a while back that details the Android boot process (FYI, the article is from June, 2009) [and it has pictures too ;)]:

Enea Android Blog: The Android boot process from power on

Cheers!

Upvote 0
I believe that these instructions are for 1.49.0000 S-ON ONLY. IIRC, 1.46.0000 S-ON and 1.47.0000 S-ON shouldn't touch these steps with a ten foot pole.

i couldnt find anything real negative on recovery flashable zip... the worse case scenario i came across was that it doesnt work. i myself flashed erisengspl.zip with the 1.47.0000 bootloader,and while it dint hurt anything,it dint change the bootloader.

not that im recomending that anyone trys it... it dint affect my phone,but better safe than sorry,for sure. ;)

Upvote 0
i couldnt find anything real negative on recovery flashable zip... the worse case scenario i came across was that it doesnt work. i myself flashed erisengspl.zip with the 1.47.0000 bootloader,and while it dint hurt anything,it dint change the bootloader.

not that im recomending that anyone trys it... it dint affect my phone,but better safe than sorry,for sure. ;)

Did I just brick my Eris? It won't turn on anymore. - xda-developers

From that thread, it looks fairly benign for 1.47.0000, but very dangerous for 1.46.0000.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0

I was going to post a link, but doogald beat me to it. Definitely seems a no-no for 1.46.0000.

I had similar experiences with it as you trying it on 1.47.0000 - it didn't work, but didn't seem to harm my phone.

Another user on XDA (spc_hicks09) had trouble getting "erisengspl.zip" to work correctly, on 1.49.0000 - and my own testing revealed some inconsistencies in it's behavior - using the same bootloader! From that I concluded that there is probably something about the state of the misc partition that (potentially) interferes with using "erisengspl.zip". That lack of reproducibility makes me a little nervous about recommending it for any use.

Probably the safest way to get the 1.49.2000 S-OFF bootloader on the phone is to:

0) Charge the phone completely

1) Make a Nandroid backup

2) Flash the misc partition with ErisMiscReset_v0.9.zip (or do the same thing manually with jcase's "Flash Any RUU" instructions.)

3) Apply the Root PB00IMG.zip using HBOOT - and let it run to completion. (I feel perfectly comfortable doing the battery pull thing, but I've had lots of experience with it; I'm not sure that it is the right solution for everybody, though).

4) Re-root the phone with any available method (the "Root" ROM can be rooted with One Click or Dummies, just like any of the other HTC Eris 2.1 ROMs, although I believe that the adb shell is root privileged, so you could also do the "old_school" method of flashing the recovery using the "flash_image" program extracted from Amon_RA)

5) Restore the Nandroid backup.

eu1

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones