1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support What can be damaged on this smartphone?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by luisafonso, Mar 28, 2016.

1. luisafonso

luisafonso Lurker
    None

Mar 28, 2016
    [​IMG] Hello everyone! I found this phone in a website where you buy and sell all kinds of things. Someone was selling his Xperia Z3 Compact for 75€ which is a huge deal. He says that the phone fell, broke the display and it stopped working. He also said that the repair was too expensive, so it wasn't worth it. I was thinking about buying it, replacing the LCD and reselling it. But is there any chance of the LCD not being the problem? (Hope you understood everything, English is not my native language). Thank you!

Advertisement

2. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator
    None

Sep 5, 2012
    Male
    Civil Engineer
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Depending on the kind of drop that it was it could be a slew of issues. He is probably making the assumption that the LCD is broken. Otherwise he has opened the phone up and inspected it which also means that he had to put it back together, which who knows if this person did that correctly since he/she knew the phone was broken.

I would definitely say there is some liability here, but you could always contact the seller to get more information.

Mikestony and luisafonso like this.
  3. luisafonso

luisafonso Lurker
    None

Mar 28, 2016
    I contacted him and he only said that the phone fell, nothing showed on the display, he took it to the technical assistance and the price of repair was too high. So he bought a new phone. Is it a bad idea to buy it and try to replace the LCD?

4. badcatz

badcatz Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Male
    I would say that if you are willing to concede the fact that the phone *might* not be easily repairable but want to try it as a learning experience, it would be ok. I don't think I would pay that much for it though, unless you can get a detailed description of what the technical assistance place told him. Chances are that they quoted him a stock price that only includes diagnosis.

It could be a good project to learn on though.

luisafonso likes this.
  5. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    I'm retired: every day's a Monday :P
    Manchester, TN
    It could be something as simple as a loose wiring harness connection. It could also be a broken motherboard. It's a gamble whether you can get it working again or not. Great way to learn your way around a phone, though, particularly if you want to be a phone repair freelancer. As long as you know going in that repair is a long shot, the choice is yours.

6. Digital Controller

None

Sep 5, 2012
    Male
    Civil Engineer
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Again I would definitely see if you can gather any more information regarding the exact state the device is in. The issue with this is, as stated in my previous post, there are a lot of outlying issues here that might not be captured in what he is telling you.

luisafonso and badcatz like this.
  7. luisafonso

luisafonso Lurker
    None

Mar 28, 2016
    OK so he told me Sony asked for 80€ for the repair so it leaves me thinking the problem is actually the display. Also, I could lower the price to 65€. Worth it?

8. Digital Controller

None

Sep 5, 2012
    Male
    Civil Engineer
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I mean honestly at this point I would say it is up to you. I know alternatively Amazon sells this phone used for 230 US Dollars - and by used I mean probably looks good as new.

9. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

May 15, 2015
    Male
    Electrician
    Satsuma,Alabama
    Take into account the asking price of phone + cost of replacement screen and compare it with cost of one used in good to mint condition.
    Then decide if the gamble is worth it. Ask it he tries to turn it on,does the phone viberate,LED blink or come on,any sound of normal boot?

luisafonso likes this.