1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

What can be done with N8000 usb slot?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Trinitron, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Trinitron

Trinitron Newbie

Hi everybody,

can N8000 read a USB Pen and what kind of hardware should I use? (I have tried with the standard cable + female-to-female USB adapter + USB Pen, but it didn't recognize it).

Having a Nokia N900 with USB Host mode enabled, I thought that I could plug any USB device (or at least a USB Pen or my camera) to my new N8000 and simply watch it work.

I can't understand if N8000 has USB Host capabilities (if I google for "USB Host N8000" it seems to me that the only links I get are about pieces of hardware to convert from proprietary N8000 plug to standard USB)

Thank you for your help,
    T-

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Szadzik

Szadzik Extreme Android User

There are USB adapters for as low as $2 that will take standard USB. Then just connect the stick to the Note. I have done it and it works fine. When you connect the stick, MyFiles open and let you browse the data.

Only downside is that if your stick is formatted as NTFS, you need root for the tablet to recognize it.

Trinitron likes this.
  3. Trinitron

Trinitron Newbie

Are those USB adapter different from the "proprietary cable + USB Female/Female connector" solution?
    I think my USBPen was formatted in FAT, but my N8000 didn't recognize it.

4. Szadzik

I have no idea what you mean by proprietary adaptor and USB cable. I do not have to use any cables with the original Samsung USB connection kit and it works.

5. Trinitron

Trinitron Newbie

I mean exactly that.
    Samsung USB cable, as far as I can see, has a proprietary connector.
    I tried connecting the USB Pen (which of course has a Male USB connector) to my GNote with the factory provided cable. I needed a Female-to-Female adaptor because the original cable has a Male USB plug at one of its ends.
    It didn't work for me.

6. Szadzik

It is not supposed to work. You connected a cable that allows to connect into the Note's storage and not the other way round.

You need one of these:

Samsung original accessory:

Samsung Galaxy Tab USB and SD Connection Kit - Original OEM EPL-1PLRBEG EPL-1PLRBEGSTA

OTG cable:

USB Host OTG Adapter Cable for Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7 0 7" GT P3113 10 1 P5100 | eBay

OTG adapter:

SD TF Card Reader USB OTG Host Connection Kit for Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7 0 10 1 | eBay

7. JohnB47

JohnB47 Well-Known Member

I use the OTG cable and it works fine for connecting a usb pen.

One word of caution, though. I was given a 64gb usb 3.0 pen for Christmas and the tab won't connect to it. I get the message "high power usb device connected. Can not access to this device. Connected device n" (the rest of the message is cut off and I can't find a way to read all of it).

So the pen seems to need more power than the tab can supply. I'm not too worried 'cos I intend to use the pen on my pc but it shows that the tab isn't compatible with all types of pen drive.

8. pwatkins

pwatkins Newbie

Are you using ICS or JB?

The "high power" message seems to come up more often in JB. Otherwise the USB OTG adaptor works well.

9. JohnB47

JohnB47 Well-Known Member

I'm still on ics ( I'm in the UK). I wish you had said it was more a problem with ics, then I could hope it was fixed in jb. Still, not a big issue, just a small annoyance.

10. Szadzik

USB 3.0 has different power specs with 900mA over USB 2.0's 500mA, so it is no surprise a USB 3.0 stick with such large capacity may not work. There is a workaround for that too, the same solution as for connectin HDDs, using a splitter cable and providing the device with power from a portable battery or hub,