• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What can go wrong with rooting?

Adamantus

Oct 3, 2010
I know there are lots of topics on this, but I just wanted to ask some questions for myself before I did anything.

I rooted my Captivate in November to remove the bloatware mainly (I did it manually...from what I can gather, it seems there are some automate ways to root now). But after doing so, I wasn't able to get the OTA GPS update, so I unrooted and have been that way ever since. Now, I'm getting tired of not having flash, so I want to root again to update to froyo/gingerbread.

I know that there are lots of videos and information I can get from this site, but I don't want problems like I had last time. I know I should back up my apps with Titanium before rooting, but are there any other precautions I should take? Also, is there some video or walkthrough that everyone would recommend (and some specific ROM to flash). If I do root, will my GPS go down again, and, if so, will I be able to get OTA updates?

Any other information that you think I should know would be helpful probably. Thanks for the help in advance.

Yeah, I understand some of the main problems (bricking the phone), but I've used Ubuntu for several years and haven't messed up critical files ever on my PC.

I'll look at the z4root (it seems easy).

I also saw a video (it seems pretty prevalent on this site) that shows how to flash a Cognition Rom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsafJ-9uRqk

Is a Cognition Rom good? Is it easy to upgrade to Froyo after getting it?

Upvote 0
Cognition 3.04 is the only ROM I've flashed (3 different upgrades of Cog no problems with the flash). I'm very happy with it. Although Serendipity 5.5 is another excellent ROM that has lots of fans. If I flash anything else it would be that. These both upgrade your phone to Firmware 2.2 Froyo. I think the stock Froyo from Samsung would be a downgrade once you get one of these flashed. Thats when Samsung finally comes out with it. And you can't expect them to fix bugs like the developers of the ROMs do. Samsung took 7months to even release the upcoming 2.2(Late Feb maybe). If they even do release it.

Upvote 0
Is a Cognition Rom good? Is it easy to upgrade to Froyo after getting it?

Cognition is generally accepted as the most stable rom. I was on cognition 3, it was perfectly stable. I had tried serendipity 4, but I got some crashes, but serendipity 5 has been perfectly stable for me and has a great gingerbread theme so I would recommend serendipity 5. You won't have to do anything to get froyo after flashing it, the major reason to flash roms is because they give you froyo along with the theme, apps that require root, tethering etc.. On the other hand, if you want to flash back to stock U.S. froyo whenever its released, if you want to do it OTA, you may have to flash back to stock.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones