• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What can I transfer to/from my G1 using bluetooth?

I got the G1 for Christmas and I tried to use bluetooth on it to transfer a song I had on it to my freind's G1 and I couldn't find out how ro do it. I set the bluetooth up and linked the two phones but I couldn't do anything else. So if you have any answers or directions on how to use the bluetooth please say. thnx ;)

The G1 Bluetooth only supports headsets. No file transfer can be done.
Is this really the case? If so, is that an issue because of the current G1 phone, that is the HTC platform or is it because of Android not supporting a Bluetooth API?

The reason I am asking is that I was thinking of using an Android supported cell phone for my PhD research, e.g. it would be the central node in network of BT-enabled sensors. That is of course only if Bluetooth (and also formation of a BT piconet with the G1 serving as a master) was enabled for data transfer...

Upvote 0
To answer my own question on the "cupcake" development branch website it is stated that amongst other notable changes cupcake will include:

Bluetooth

• New features
    • Support for A2DP & AVRCP profiles.

• Significant bug fixes
    • First connection after pairing always fails on many carkits.
    • Mini Cooper and some late model BMW cars fail to use Bluetooth or take 2 minutes for Phone Book transfer.
However it is not being clarified whether data transfer of any kind will be supported and also when cupcake will be made publicly available...:-(

Upvote 0
If there is any update it can only be Software or to term it properly Firmware as hardware would mean returning handsets which won't happen, it would only be for newer handsets.

It can be done via FW upgrades but again nothing has specifically mentioned whether File transfer will be enabled or whether we will get the update as you can see in Alekos83's post above.

It's all conjecture and guesswork at the moment.

Upvote 0
Actually what I really meant was:
Is it possible to have a firmware update that will allow for file transfer? or does it have to be a hardware thing? (which will only apply on new models of the g1)

Thanks.

I don't really think there will be a newer version of the G1 it will just come with whatever the latest FW is for that region the same as we have already

Upvote 0
I got the G1 for Christmas and I tried to use bluetooth on it to transfer a song I had on it to my freind's G1 and I couldn't find out how ro do it. I set the bluetooth up and linked the two phones but I couldn't do anything else. So if you have any answers or directions on how to use the bluetooth please say. thnx ;)

With Cupcake you can now use a Market App called BlueX ... if can still be iffy for transfer both ways depending if the other device has the proper OBEX drivers ...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones