• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What case (if any) is everyone using on their Razr?

I had a thin shell case that took two for the team...funny how this thing always lands corner first on asphalt.

I picked up an Otterbox Commuter today at Radio shack of all places--$26 and change on Black Friday sale. So far, loving it, but I'll have to see how it does for heat. For reference, the Razr with this case is as thick as a naked DX.

If we get to it, most owners of the Razr would probably take a slightly thicker device, rather than the wide design we have now. Seems the design is style (thin) over substance (ergonomics). Most folks do not have big hands or long fingers to cover the footprint of the Razr.

Most users and reviews see the width as a negative. I have tried different cases (VZW actually had a nice white box display with all of the cases they sell in it, ready to test out).

Any additional width is bad for me, since already slightly awkward to use. The Rezound WITH the extended battery case is still far easier to use with one hand than the Razr. Ironic.

Upvote 0
I bought the commuter case. I HAD the defender, but I just couldnt stand the bulk.

Here is a side by side of the Commuter and a naked RAZR. I'm pretty happy with it, though wish it was a little thinner

Commuter_SidebySide.jpg

I'm very interested in checking out the Ghost Armor skin.. There is no local stores that carry it however. For 25 bucks, I'd like to see it first = / If anyone has it, let me know!

Upvote 0
I have read in other places that cases with magnets (to close the case) should be avoided due to the fact that the magnets may put the phone in dock mode. Is this a concern?

Thank you :)

While it's possible, it's also unlikely!

If the Razr goes into dock mode the same way that the DX did, the battery has to be in a certain location with a certain polarity to properly trigger the phone into dock mode.

Back when I was trying to construct a mountable phone dock for my Harley, I found that rare earth magnets seemed to work best... but the magnet had to be very specifically located on the mount to trigger the phone into dock mode. And depending on the orientation of the magnet, it would either trigger the phone into car dock mode... or into home dock mode.

Reactions: NealJ777
Upvote 0
I just got a tpu case off Amazon for $5.98 including shipping...the store was dadasuperstore...I returned my otterbox cause it felt too bulky and I figured it wouldn't work with the free hd dock from Costco. Got the car dock and after removing insert the tpu case fits like a glove. I would compare this case to the one Verizon is selling for $24.99..the gel one. With this case I'm also able to use a pouch with magnetic closure and have had no issues...I don't think the magnet in the flap has affected battery life at all. I'm getting almost 20 hours with texting emails Facebook ESPN....things like that.

Upvote 0
I bought the commuter case. I HAD the defender, but I just couldnt stand the bulk.

Here is a side by side of the Commuter and a naked RAZR. I'm pretty happy with it, though wish it was a little thinner

Commuter_SidebySide.jpg

I'm very interested in checking out the Ghost Armor skin.. There is no local stores that carry it however. For 25 bucks, I'd like to see it first = / If anyone has it, let me know!

returned mine. lint magnet and the phone look cheap

Upvote 0
no case for me :) i've already dropped it 2 times...and my thunderbolt screen had a huge spider crack since august, so youd think id get a case but nope.

The same exact thing happened to me with my Thunderbolt. The spider cracks were so bad that the screen was really hard to read. When I got my RAZR, I figured I won't get a case for it. I dropped it within 2 hours of activating the phone which changed my mind about getting a case.

Upvote 0
I got the SGP ultra fine screen protector in the mail today. I put it on, pretty easy to do really. My concern is that on some backgrounds the screen protector makes it look grainy. Is this just how it's gotta be with the protectors or did I apply it wrong? I got all the bubbles out and made sure the screen was clean.

Upvote 0
I got the SGP ultra fine screen protector in the mail today. I put it on, pretty easy to do really. My concern is that on some backgrounds the screen protector makes it look grainy. Is this just how it's gotta be with the protectors or did I apply it wrong? I got all the bubbles out and made sure the screen was clean.

Probably anti-glare protecter

Upvote 0

Have you noticed any change in screen sensitivity?

Upvote 0
No its just as good, but I like how my finger goes across the screen with it though. Its not too grippy. The graininess is bothering me though.

Does it use a liquid spray for application? If so it takes some time for the solution to dry completely and be drawn from under the protection film. I have an invisashield that goes on that way. Much of the grainyness (along with the microbubbles) goes away after a day or so.

Upvote 0
bought a s-line wave gel case from evil-bay at a price which included the delivery of 99p ... thats right 99p including delivery. ordered it on Thursday and got it on saturday.

had previously bought a silicon one, it was the only one advertised over here in UK before some more started coming out but it was too slippy to hold, so had a gel case on my Desire previous, know they offered good protection, for my needs, with little weight or added bulk and then came across this bargain.

feel much better now that the phone has this, just in case, especially when the phone is all new and shiny lol

Upvote 0
Does it use a liquid spray for application? If so it takes some time for the solution to dry completely and be drawn from under the protection film. I have an invisashield that goes on that way. Much of the grainyness (along with the microbubbles) goes away after a day or so.

The SGP/Steinheil screen protectors are simple cling style protectors with a mild adhesive. No goo involved. That is why they are so cool--very easy to apply bubble free, very hard to see when on.

Upvote 0
Bought a Zagg InvisibleShield full body and will see how that works as a protector - for the back especially. If it does not work well, will have a look at this case from eBay:

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

I like the look of that one, especially cut outs round camera etc instead of large cut out window on all others, but when I went to order it, at the delivery status bit, it wouldn't accept it unless I gave the company my phone number ... eeeeehhh no thanks why would I give anyone my phone number when placing an order on evil-bay

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones