• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What Caused My Huge Data Usage?

reom_76

Dec 14, 2010
I just got my Captivate on Wednesday and have been loving it so far. However, I set myself up on the 200MB data plan because I mostly plan to use this via wifi and cost is an issue right now for the 2GB plan. Regardless, this morning, I checked my data usage and it was somewhere around 2MB. I have only been using the phone via wifi all day. I checked my data usage again tonight and I'm at 100MB. I can't figure out what used up all that data. I installed the following apps today over wifi: Adobe Reader, The Weather Channel App, and an app to stream a local radio station, and Launcher Pro. I did stream a little bit of radio, but I was connected to wifi. I did have the weather channel widget running when I was doing some errands, but I was off wifi for maybe 30 minutes. I have since uninstalled the weather channel, since it didn't seem to be updated.

Anyway, does anyone have any ideas as to what could have eaten so much data? I can't figure it out. I've now downloaded APN Droid to keep 3G shut off when I'm out of wifi range, but I'd like to be able to have it on without worrying about going over my limit. Thanks for any help.

I've searched around on here and on Google and can't seem to find anything.

I'm still not sure what used all my data, but I think I may have it figured out. When I selected my data plan, I chose the prorated option for this billing period. I was roughly halfway through the billing cycle when I added it. Is it possible that they are only allowing me half of my monthly data because I prorated it? I haven't had the patience to sit on hold to confirm this with ATT, I'm wondering if anyone else has had this experience? Thanks again

Upvote 0
You must have had it constantly updating. My weather app is on manual. Doesn't use data until I tell it to.

I need one that updates and follows me (truck driver)...I have been using WeatherBug Elite for about a week now ...its much better than The Weather Channels app...no ads, uses far less data, and more user friendly.

I also have an app (forget the name) that gives me real time weather alerts from NOAAH ...I'm a heavy haul truck driver and have to know ahead of time when the weather is gonna turn bad...oversize permits are not valid during heavy wind, rain, etc.

Upvote 0
I need one that updates and follows me (truck driver)...I have been using WeatherBug Elite for about a week now ...its much better than The Weather Channels app...no ads, uses far less data, and more user friendly.

I also have an app (forget the name) that gives me real time weather alerts from NOAAH ...I'm a heavy haul truck driver and have to know ahead of time when the weather is gonna turn bad...oversize permits are not valid during heavy wind, rain, etc.

Makes sense.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones