• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What caused my wife's S7 Edge to factory reset and recovery options...

Ok, here's what happened...

We were at a family reunion and my wife wanted to put a few games on one of the family member's phone. She was an older lady and did not have a gmail account. So my wife temporarily logged in as herself on the family member's phone, got on the Play Store, downloaded a couple games for her to play, and then logged out and removed her account from the family member's phone. Wife then went back to her S7 Edge and removed the family member's phone from the list of devices associated with the account. Once she did that and went through a few confirmation messages her phone rebooted and did a factory reset. There was no indication it was going to do that, and my wife is pretty good with technology so I doubt she would have accidentally deleted her own device (the S7 Edge). So...is there some sort of Google/Android security policy that would have caused this? Was it some sort of glitch?

And the next question...are there any options for data recovery? Restore has not recovered much at all and she had quite a lot of pictures/videos and some other things that she'd like to recover. I know rooting in an option but I have never tried that (although it's something I'd like to do sometime) and it's too big of a risk for her. Plus I'm not sure if rooting would guarantee we could get the data back. I had tried the Wondershare Dr. Fone app but it fails everytime I try it.

1st of all, your wife in all of her good intentions did a super NO=NO when she used her own gmail account with the other phone. Google thought her phone was no longer part of the system, and reassigned the "new phone" as your wife's phone.

then she tried to go back to her own phone, and now the Google Account is all confused as to what is going on. so it forced the phone to reboot so that she can now sign into her own Google Account and make that phone her "default and only device" on that account.

sorry, but your wife should have created a special gmail account for g'ma or whoever, even if it will never be used again. Lesson learned the hard way...

once the FDR has been done, every thing on that phone is gone.... and she cannot recover any of it.... unless, it has an extSDcard in it.... what is on the SD card is still there.

Play Store can be used on WiFi w/o using a gmail account, your wife should have stuck with that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones