1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

What changes do YOU see with Froyo 2.2?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sh4o8kid, Jul 30, 2010.

1. supaumar

supaumar Member
    None

Jun 9, 2010
    a
    a
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Advertisement

2. jmp4106

jmp4106 Newbie
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    California
    downloading now. thanks =)

3. kast107

kast107 Newbie
    None

Jul 30, 2010
    I noticed that when waking up the phone, the button backlights come on first, then a split second later, the screen turns on.

This is not a pro nor a con, I'm just pointing out one of the oddities I noticed.

Other than that, Froyo is definitely worth the upgrade. The warnings make it that much more enticing!

Happy testing! :)

EarlyMon likes this.
  4. kast107

kast107 Newbie
    None

Jul 30, 2010
    I don't know, I'm not quite convinced. I think the room needs more quality tests. :p

j/k The camera is much better. Maybe this should be on another thread, but is there a way to turn down the flash on the camera (or allow only one LED to flash) so that it doesn't blow out the pictures as bad?

5. teky

teky Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 5, 2010
    Oooooo, that is slick!

6. steelersmb

steelersmb Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 8, 2010
    Everything seems to be working fine for me. I was rooted but flashed back to the stock ROM and did a clean install of the upgrade. So far, everything is fine, camera, video, flash, etc.

7. HopeofCarter

HopeofCarter Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 16, 2010
    Did you click Menu in the marketplace for your downloads during the first boot? To get your apps

8. eric3316

eric3316 Android Enthusiast
    None

May 9, 2010
    NC
    Yeh, the flash is ridiculous. Anytime I snap a picture with the flash of my dog or cat, it makes there eyes come out like high beams on a car.....

And on another note, my update didn't come with the boob cam? Should I hard reset?

9. vgsantiago

vgsantiago Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 5, 2009
    The features mentioned above is that just for the stock messaging app and works with the stock calendar app? Or hopefully in my case as I use Google voice for texting works for that also.

10. vgsantiago

vgsantiago Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 5, 2009
    Apologies if addressed already somewhere.

Is Bluetooth voice dialing working?

11. VGPOP

VGPOP Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 23, 2010
    All right fellow EVO owners, this is my official beta testing update (so far) with this update:

To begin with, if HTC would've sent the announcement that this was not the final version of the update, I would've stayed put and waited. But for me wait four full days before getting hands for this knowing there was already a working update flowing around that came from HTC website, it was hard to follow.

So, I installed update, although the part when you hit recovery and it gives you the picture with a phone and a red triangle and you have to hit UP volume and the power button at the same time it took some time. It doesn't automatically do it. I don't know if it's "working" on something, or you have to wait, but it took a few attempts before I got the window to install update.zip file and you get kind of nervous because you don't know if your phone has bricked, stalled, not working. I tried to never remove battery in these circumstances. Thank God I never did.

People go crazy with Froyo for different things. The most important aspect of having Froyo 2.2, in my opinion, is FULL FLASH ADOBE 10.1. That's it. Everything else is second place. The very first thing I did was go to CNN.com and click on those videos they have on the homepage, because if those videos play, YOU OFFICIALLY HAVE FULL FLASH 10.1 installed on EVO.

But no, it did not go smoothly. Browser kept closing halfway because it tried to load flash content (ads) and I was going crazy (deleted cache, history, I almost tried to re-install update, but somehow update.zip was already GONE from my SD card...lol) and asking people here until I read a possible solution from dakidobf and he said to do hard reset and that did the trick. At that point, I was completely frustrated and did hard reset, and viola!....My God. CNN.com loaded entire page with all those flash ads and click on video and played flawlessly. I was so happy.

Hard reset wipes everything. All my apps were gone, and I had to re-installed everything. But for me, I was happy to have something that works.

For the people using Dolphin HD browser. Flash does work, but somehow every single flash content (flash or video) comes an upside down green triangle. It does not load flash ads, but it does work if you click on a video. Dolphin HD must do something to fix that.

I heard that people needed to install Adobe Flash Player 10.1 from the market. I don't know about that, because mine came pre-installed in this update and I did not have to do that.

That's ONE thing, but it was the most important one for me.

Second thing is the video.

I recorded with mpeg4 and h.264. H.264 quality is smoother and better. The sound is way better than before.

I can view youtube and videos in my HDTV connected with HDMI. But to view pictures with the slideshow is gone. They need to fix that.

The battery icon (stock one) in top of the phone reads differently. When I was at 90% full, it was still showing full. So, this may be a away to fix the problem. Don't know....

Nice widgets and the phone is noticeably faster than 2.1.

Browser does have a slight problem I just found. It's not as smooth as before. Sometimes I have to press hard down to make the page go down. They need to fix that.

That's about it for now.

(I'm very sorry for the long bible)

dominiej and EarlyMon like this.
  12. steelersmb

steelersmb Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 8, 2010
    I just went to CNN, not the mobile site and my videos play without a problem. Flash and everything else is working perfectly for me.

13. brushrop03

brushrop03 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    Student
    Nashville, TN
    Ok so im rather new to android. before I flashed to froyo I was using androids power control widget to turn on my 3G. Or at least I thought I was. Now the button doesn't do nething. I have to go to settings, wireless and network, and then turn on/off the mobile network.

So is it just me or does anyone elae notice that?

14. wase4711

wase4711 Android Expert
    None

Apr 24, 2010
    outside chicaago
    well, sometimes it does and sometimes it doesnt. at least for me
    Problem is, I have a blueant T1 with their software installed, plus, Vlingo as well, so there may be conflicts with all these programs that do BT dialing..

I will remove them both and try again later...

15. VGPOP

VGPOP Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 23, 2010
    I forgot to mention that I thought we would get the nexus one launcher and Sense launcher would be gone.

At least gives us the option to have it.

They tweaked froyo 2.2 that we keep Sense launcher.

16. Droidone

Droidone Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 12, 2009
    I am having the browser scrolling issue also. I notice it will scroll slow or delayed on different sites. Restarting the phone gets it working again. I really hope this is fixed on the next release. Double tap zoom is starting to drag too.

17. dcoaster

dcoaster Member
    None

May 15, 2010
    Question about direct dial: Currently on 2.1, if you create a direct dial shortcut on the homescreen, it will only show the contact's picture/name and won't show an M or H or W to indicate which number I am dialing if they have multiple numbers. I just checked on a Moto Droid 2.1 and this works as it should.

Does Froyo fix this for us??

18. VGPOP

VGPOP Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 23, 2010
    Yesterday in the evening I tried both encoding video types (mpeg4 and h.264) and h.264 produces smoother and better quality than mpeg4.

Now with daylight, I tried the same.

There is something wrong with mpeg4 because when you move phone around you can actually see "choppiness" and it doesn't go as smooth as it should.

With h.264 is better quality and smoother. And to think this is 800 x 480 instead of mpeg4 (1280 x 720)

There is no possible way to produce 1280 x 720 with h.264? I need to learn more about encoding types and resolution.

19. aclark414

aclark414 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 13, 2009
    Ohio
    Seems about the same to me. No better, no worse.

20. NicksGarage

NicksGarage Android Enthusiast
    None

May 13, 2010
    Social Media Administrator
    San Diego, CA
    "chrome to phone" also works in Firefox. Look for the "send to phone" addon. Both require the same apk install on the phone. Just follow the instructions on the addon page.

stainlessray and CriticalCritic like this.
  21. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Android Expert
    None

Nov 9, 2009
    Cary, NC
    If it doesn't, BetterCut will fix that (Not sure about AnyCut).

22. eieio

eieio Android Expert
    None

Apr 6, 2010
    Going where others are afraid to
    Bat Cave
    Ok I stand corrected. The update seems to have locked up the hot spot feature so the loop hole appears to be closed..

3g and 4g are no longer working, for Free...

23. mx7

mx7 Well-Known Member
    None

May 16, 2010
    Phone heats up (warm to the touch).

24. sagedil

sagedil Android Expert
    None

May 1, 2010
    Laid off....sigh
    Raleigh, NC
    Really. I have been slamming my phone for 2.5 hours this morning. So bad, my battary is already down to 25%. Phone no hotter than it ever has been.

25. JimKnuckles

JimKnuckles Android Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2010
    Are you telling me that the browser doesn't work after you did the update??

Tags: