1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

What cheap tablets are you happy with?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by zizzlfied, Dec 18, 2012.

1. zizzlfied

zizzlfied Active Member

May 27, 2011
    Male
    Des Moines, IA
    So, my mom just got me a Azpen A107 for Christmas and I'm loving it. So I was wondering, are there any cheap tablets that you love? If so post'em here.

Advertisement

2. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Owensboro, KY
    The emerson/polaroid and D2 Pads are remarkably stable (just don't exect flash and much for performance) compared with my phone, run Android 4.0 and are PRE-ROOTED

With cheapies I recommend Dolphin Mini as a web browser if you like fast browsers

3. Markus843

Markus843 Member

Dec 6, 2012
    Getting a samsung galaxy tab 2 7.0 for $150. Hope it's good

4. Alexh42

Alexh42 Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2012
    I have an Azpen A701 and I dig it.. but I find it to be a bit laggy at times and since it comes rooted... do you know of any custom kernels or roms that would work on this device? I guess the stock kernel doesn't like it when you try to overclock the cpu. I had to hold the power down and get the damn thing to turn off..

5. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Owensboro, KY
    my second D2 Pad's digitizer got cracked and the device useless. for anyone getting a cheapie i do recommend a case, or light touching, which can be hard in the latter as some of them have lousy touch response or resistive screens.

there is hardly any chance a custom ROM will exist, for the hardware as these are not favored by devs who put more time making ROMs to work with more popular brands like the Galaxy S or Nexus 4. both are far more capable. the cheapies have undersized RAM so i wouldn't think that running Jelly Bean AOKP would be pretty in 512MB RAM and a single core CPU. also, for custom ROMs to install you need a custom recovery such as TWRP or CWM, both requiring the build for your hardware, and without this you're sunk even if a ROM existed.

if one truly wants to run something like CyanogenMod 10 on a single core, 512MB cheap tablet, i suppose it may be doable, if you like having the performance of a Pentium 2 running Windows XP Pro