• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What class Micro SD card to use?

Right after I fired up PlayerPro. Started up a playlist of about 200 tunes and it would play about one second of a tune and then skip to the next track. Play a second again and then skip to the next track. Over and over. Closed the app, rebooted the phone and 29GB of tunes... Gone.

I tried to reformat the card in Win7 and no luck. Won't complete the format. Card is either defective or I've read online that other users are having issues with Win7 and these cards as well. Either way, card is being returned as I have zero confidence in it. My 32GB class 10 g.skill card is back in the phone and working like a charm.

Read my post above about why you can't format a 64GB card as FAT32 under Windows anymore.

Upvote 0
The issues come about because sdxc cards come formatted as exFAT per the standard and many devices don't recognize it, also even though FAT32 can support up to 2 terabytes ever since XP Microsoft has removed the capability to format FAT32 at more than 32GB. You will need to use a 3rd party app to format your 64 GB card under Windows so that your phone can recognize it. I just used Easus partition manager which is free for personal use on my 64 GB class 10 UHS-1 SanDisk Ultra and have had absolutely no issues. My random writes average 11.8 MB/s and my reads are almost 30, so at least with this card your not sacrificing high speed for high capacity. Even with 4G speed I'd rather have my media stored locally as opposed to the cloud. All this being said a high quality class 6 card will easily keep up with full HD video but for about $10 difference on a 64GB card why not future proof?

Thanks for giving this explanation. I didn't actually format on the pc, I formatted in the phone itself. Think the partitioning would be messed with that way?

I haven't noticed any issues so far, although I did notice when transferring files, there were some that had a prompt saying they might not work. How true that is, is still unclear because I've tested most and they seem fine. All of this is making me want to reformat using a 3rd party app.

What is the difference between fat32 and ntfs? I seriously don't get it. I'm hoping there's a simple layman explanation.

Upvote 0
The issues come about because sdxc cards come formatted as exFAT per the standard and many devices don't recognize it, also even though FAT32 can support up to 2 terabytes ever since XP Microsoft has removed the capability to format FAT32 at more than 32GB. You will need to use a 3rd party app to format your 64 GB card under Windows so that your phone can recognize it. I just used Easus partition manager which is free for personal use on my 64 GB class 10 UHS-1 SanDisk Ultra and have had absolutely no issues. My random writes average 11.8 MB/s and my reads are almost 30, so at least with this card your not sacrificing high speed for high capacity. Even with 4G speed I'd rather have my media stored locally as opposed to the cloud. All this being said a high quality class 6 card will easily keep up with full HD video but for about $10 difference on a 64GB card why not future proof?

I wish I could understand this; it went over my head. I've been buying sd cards since yr 2000 and have never formatted any before using them. I'm reading all these issues people seem to be having with class 10 cards and I just don't get it. None of mine have been formatted. Just inserted and didn't give it another thought.

Upvote 0
I wish I could understand this; it went over my head. I've been buying sd cards since yr 2000 and have never formatted any before using them. I'm reading all these issues people seem to be having with class 10 cards and I just don't get it. None of mine have been formatted. Just inserted and didn't give it another thought.

It's not the class 10 cards that are the problem, it's 64 gb sdxc cards, the standard required that they are pre formatted as exFAT, many devices don't recognize this and won't be able to format the card within the device, compounding the issue is that Microsoft Windows since XP doesn't allow a FAT32 partition larger than 32GB, a catch 22 that can only be resolved by using 3rd party software to format the card as a 64GB FAT32 which almost all devices will recognize. NTFS was Microsoft's newer file system that supports partitions larger than 2 terabytes which is the limit of the FAT32 file system, without using the New Technology File System which is what NTFS stands for, any volume larger than the 2 terabytes limit would have to be partitioned into multiple drives. That wasn't bad enough and now we have exFAT to deal with because it's a simpler system meant to be run on flash based drives as opposed to hard drives which will continue to use NTFS. Most mobile equipment will be sdxc certified by the end of next year making this a lot simpler. Most devices currently out for more than a few months listed 32GB cards max, most devices can use the larger cards but with the older file system limitations. 64 gb cards are a relatively new product having just been introduced in the first quarter of this year.

Reactions: ScandaLeX
Upvote 0
A few hours ago, i was very concerned because when i checked my gallery it took more than two minutes to open all folders. I thought it has something to do being over 32 GB. Then i noticed one of my app's was downloading tl my entire picture gallery on my photo hosting site, I was shocked to see my picture nearing 12 GB. So tomorrow, I'll be wasting a lot of time erasing a lot of pictures in my SD card. =/

Upvote 0
Hi.
I would appreciate if you can share with me your knowledge:
I just bought sdsdqui-064g-a11 from bestbuy for $60.
Is it compatible with Galaxy Note 2? If so, do i need to format it to access 64gb? If so, can i format it from the phone itself?
Sandisk mention in their erb site that this model is for cameras where sdsdqua-064g-a11a is for android.
Do you have any idea what is the differences between the 2 models?

Thanks for tje help!
R

Upvote 0
Is it compatible with Galaxy Note 2?
Yes, but there are reports of these dual coloured cards being faulty after a period of use. It's a hit and miss.

If so, do i need to format it to access 64gb? If so, can i format it from the phone itself?
SDXC cards use the exFAT file format by default. The Note 2 can recognize and use this format without any issues. There is no need to format the card. Just put it in and it will work.

Sandisk mention in their website that this model is for cameras where sdsdqua-064g-a11a is for android.
Do you have any idea what is the differences between the 2 models?
No difference. Just how it's marketed. The Android version has the following ad:

"Android App for Easy File Management
The included Sandisk Memory Zone app** (Application download and installation required [see insert]) lets you easily view, access, and backup all of your digital files from your phone's memory, additional memory card, and cloud service all in one convenient place. Using the app, you can easily move files from your card to a number of cloud storage services."

I don't like the fact that they 'hide' the fact that you can only get UHS-I speeds with a UHS-I host enabled device. UHS-I is backwards compatible with non-UHS devices, but there is a performance hit.

Reactions: Rtveria
Upvote 0
Yes, but there are reports of these dual coloured cards being faulty after a period of use. It's a hit and miss.

SDXC cards use the exFAT file format by default. The Note 2 can recognize and use this format without any issues. There is no need to format the card. Just put it in and it will work.

No difference. Just how it's marketed. The Android version has the following ad:

"Android App for Easy File Management
The included Sandisk Memory Zone app** (Application download and installation required [see insert]) lets you easily view, access, and backup all of your digital files from your phone's memory, additional memory card, and cloud service all in one convenient place. Using the app, you can easily move files from your card to a number of cloud storage services."

I don't like the fact that they 'hide' the fact that you can only get UHS-I speeds with a UHS-I host enabled device. UHS-I is backwards compatible with non-UHS devices, but there is a performance hit.
Thanks for the quick and detailed reply, NeoGrandizer.
What do you mean by saying coloured cards?
Re your remark on UHS-I speed, is galaxy note 2 UHS-I enabled or i will face performance hit?
Thanks!

Upvote 0
I picked up the San Disk 64gb class 10 card before I purchased my Note 2. It works fine for me. I did notice that file transfer is kinda slow. I don't know if it's the card, the phone, or my laptop. I have a bunch of movies and music on it and I'm happy. I went with class 10 From watching a bunch of YouTube videos on the Note 2 where many people recommended it.

Just my $0.02

Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick and detailed reply, NeoGrandizer.
What do you mean by saying coloured cards?
Re your remark on UHS-I speed, is galaxy note 2 UHS-I enabled or i will face performance hit?
Thanks!

The Note 2 does not support UHS. Basically it does not have the higher supported bus speeds that UHS utilizes. It is a hardware issue and cannot be supported via software.

The dual coloured cards by Sandisk (red/gray and red/gold) have been a hit and miss with most users. There have been many complaints in relation to these specific dual coloured cards.

Upvote 0
I picked up the San Disk 64gb class 10 card before I purchased my Note 2. It works fine for me. I did notice that file transfer is kinda slow. I don't know if it's the card, the phone, or my laptop. I have a bunch of movies and music on it and I'm happy. I went with class 10 From watching a bunch of YouTube videos on the Note 2 where many people recommended it.

Just my $0.02

Check out "SD Tools"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ales.veluscek.sdtools

That will tell you the card performance on your device. USB transfers may be slower, that varies from model to model and pc to pc in my experience.

Upvote 0
The Note 2 does not support UHS. Basically it does not have the higher supported bus speeds that UHS utilizes. It is a hardware issue and cannot be supported via software.

The dual coloured cards by Sandisk (red/gray and red/gold) have been a hit and miss with most users. There have been many complaints in relation to these specific dual coloured cards.
Thanks again, NeoGrandizer.
What would you recommend for 64gb for my note 2 that is the best price/performance up to $60 range?

Upvote 0

Thanks NeoGrandizer!
What would you recommend for 64gb memory card for note 2?
Thanks.

Upvote 0
I honestly don't know. I have 32GB cards (all Class 10, non-UHS speed class; Sandisk (all black) and Samsung). Formatted to exFAT with Win7 and using it with my Note 2 and Note 10.1. I have not used any 64GB cards.

I am wary of the UHS cards (especially from Sandisk) because of the issues reported. Something in the cards may be frying up quicker than any regular card. Perhaps the faster speed bus and incompatible hardware is causing it. I don't know for sure, but it's not a good thing. Don't trust it yet with any of my hardware and data even if it's supposed to be backwards compatible.

If anything, I would probably try to find a regular Class 10 card (if there is any made; it seems like manufacturers are pushing UHS with the SDXC cards). I suspect the down clocking or whatever is needed to make the UHS backwards compatible is causing some issue.

I am only speculating from all the problems I am seeing with these cards. There have been no real issues with regular class 10 cards. The dual coloured ones from Sandisk are UHS cards and they seem to be hit and miss and therefore (in my eyes) unreliable. Maybe as it improves and offers better compatibility in future I'll consider it. But not now.

Upvote 0
I honestly don't know. I have 32GB cards (all Class 10, non-UHS speed class; Sandisk (all black) and Samsung). Formatted to exFAT with Win7 and using it with my Note 2 and Note 10.1. I have not used any 64GB cards.

I am wary of the UHS cards (especially from Sandisk) because of the issues reported. Something in the cards may be frying up quicker than any regular card. Perhaps the faster speed bus and incompatible hardware is causing it. I don't know for sure, but it's not a good thing. Don't trust it yet with any of my hardware and data even if it's supposed to be backwards compatible.

If anything, I would probably try to find a regular Class 10 card (if there is any made; it seems like manufacturers are pushing UHS with the SDXC cards). I suspect the down clocking or whatever is needed to make the UHS backwards compatible is causing some issue.

I am only speculating from all the problems I am seeing with these cards. There have been no real issues with regular class 10 cards. The dual coloured ones from Sandisk are UHS cards and they seem to be hit and miss and therefore (in my eyes) unreliable. Maybe as it improves and offers better compatibility in future I'll consider it. But not now.
Again, thanks for the quick and detailed response. It is much appreciated and i will look i to non UHS cards.

Upvote 0
That must be unique to the Samsung, but if that's the scuttlebut for this device, go with it.

Patriot makes a good card, I've heard very few complaints about them.

BTW - here's what to look for, using SanDisk as an example. Note how it has a 1 inside a U for UHS-1, and a 10 inside a C for Class-10 ratings, simultaneously.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-Class-Memory-SDSDX-064G-X46/dp/B0070WU51U

I use the 2-tone UHS-1 only on my HTC, evidently that's what you want to avoid here.

When you go from 32 to 64 GB, you also go from sdhc to sdxc, so expect a UHS-1 rating in most cases at any rate.

Upvote 0

Just my $0.02
Thanks for your input.

Upvote 0
Hi guys, sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm not too clued up on SD cards. I just ordered this little badboy off Amazon, it should all be ok for my Note 2 right?

Samsung 32GB Class 10 Micro SDHC Card Essential Class Card: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

I went with a Samsung one because I've been reading about corruption issues with the SanDisk cards. I used to have a Tocco Ultra years back and after about a year the SD card crapped out and I'm 99% sure that was a SanDisk. Ended up losing so many photos and videos of my oldest son when he was a newborn, don't really wanna go through all that again!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones