• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What cool or interesting things do you use your Nexus 7 for?

Don't get me wrong, I'm diggin' most things about my N7. But, I keep getting smacked in the face with the notion that this is really just a big phone. I just can't help but set things (widgets and such) up similarly to what I use on my EVO4G.

I do dig the Tablet UI that there's hacks/patches for but kinks still remain for now and I'm waiting for more stable ROMS.

I use the latest AOKP for now.

I keep thinking a ASUS Transformer might be closer to the experience I was hoping for. Or maybe there's a ROM out there that provides a really new experience? I know about Paranoid Android but I'm looking for something that doesn't use the "hybrid mode".

Anyone else have this feelin'? (maybe i'm nuts)

Upvote 0
It can be either a bigger phone, or a smaller netbook. If you like games, the screen is large enough so that you won't block the screen when pressing buttons.
If you like web browsing, or reading, the screen is big enough to see mostly everything with minimal zooming, if any at all. Its a great size for e-textbooks, if you're in school. And Google Chrome displays pages in full desktop mode. Videos are that much better as well.
If you need to type something up, its small enough to whip out anywhere, anytime, and you don't have to wait for it to boot up and load. Kingsoft Office is a free, fully functional office app to get the job done. Bluetooth keyboards are also an option if you really need one. I have one the size of an average smartphone. ($20 at Fry's)

I can't seem to put the thing down, personally. I'm typing this ON my Nexus 7, BTW. It seems to handle forums better than my G2 or Galaxy Player do.

Reactions: NOOBY
Upvote 0
I just picked one up today at staples...

All I gotta say is WoW...I Love this thing!

There is plenty to do...

For me that will involve lots of couch browsing on the web, lots of time visiting my daily forums that I post on, ofcourse YouTube viewing, listening to Sirius Radio, emailing, and some occasional Ebook reading...For the most part alot of these things can be done on my GS3, but hey...Why not have the best of both worlds...

Upvote 0
Don't get me wrong, I'm diggin' most things about my N7. But, I keep getting smacked in the face with the notion that this is really just a big phone. I just can't help but set things (widgets and such) up similarly to what I use on my EVO4G.

I do dig the Tablet UI that there's hacks/patches for but kinks still remain for now and I'm waiting for more stable ROMS.

I use the latest AOKP for now.

I keep thinking a ASUS Transformer might be closer to the experience I was hoping for. Or maybe there's a ROM out there that provides a really new experience? I know about Paranoid Android but I'm looking for something that doesn't use the "hybrid mode".

Anyone else have this feelin'? (maybe i'm nuts)

If you're thinking "What the heck am I supposed to do with this thing....", I'm wondering why the heck you even bought one without knowing what you were going to do with it? You could have bought a much cheaper Asian built 7" tab to fiddle with as a "gadget".

Seems like you did waste your money and are wasting your time, IMO.

Upvote 0
If you're thinking "What the heck am I supposed to do with this thing....", I'm wondering why the heck you even bought one without knowing what you were going to do with it? You could have bought a must cheaper Asian built 7" tab to fiddle with as a "gadget".

Pfft I still can't figure out why I got my transformer 300 but yet I'm about to go out and buy a Nexus 7... I have zero use for it but its just one of those things calling my name even though my transformer is the better of the two.

Upvote 0
It could be said that everyone buying a N7 now didn't know what they were getting into. Being a new device and all. ;)

I do think the latest Transformer might be a bit closer to where I was hoping for. At least UI-wise. HDMI out would be killer for the N7 so a Transformer with it and some wireless controllers would be nice for gaming.

Very much looks like thats where some folks are headed with some of the upcoming devises coming out.

Upvote 0
It could be said that everyone buying a N7 now didn't know what they were getting into. Being a new device and all. ;)

I do think the latest Transformer might be a bit closer to where I was hoping for. At least UI-wise. HDMI out would be killer for the N7 so a Transformer with it and some wireless controllers would be nice for gaming.

Very much looks like thats where some folks are headed with some of the upcoming devises coming out.

I have a Transformer prime, and I've barely used it since buying the Nexus. These days the only thing I use the Transformer for is reading comics because the whole page view is just too small to read on the Nexus and having to pan the page around is a pain.

The lack of HDMI isn't an issue because I never felt the need to connect my Transformer to the TV!

Upvote 0
I have both Evernote and Microsoft OneNote on my laptop and my Nexus 7. I was using the MS product before I "discovered" Evernote, so that's why I have both. OneNote has been like my everything drawer - recipes, knitting patterns, work ideas, etc. I use it like others might use Pinterest - except I don't necessarily share the stuff I keep in there.

I use this for both hobby and work possibilities. From menu ideas for the week, to business theory articles I pick up, to study guides for some professional certifications I have to get, reading magazines, novels, professional items. I like the idea of accessing all my files on the Nexus without lugging my laptop.

I also do use the Nexus7 as a browser, reading and answering e-mails in bed, following my Twitter feed. What I find I'm doing much less of is Facebook - that remains something I do on the laptop.

What surprised me a great deal was how much I'm using the thing. I had the first iPad for about 20 days - then returned it. Couldn't figure out how it was of any use to me. Couldn't use it for school as the conversation forums were not supported, couldn't do much except play angry birds on it. For $700 that was a bit much. So back to the store it went. The Nexus 7 is light, fits in my purse, became my note taker of choice, accesses files I need. REmember the old Day Planner agendas where you kept track of appointments, stuff to do, milestones on projects etc etc? That's my Nexus 7. And I don't have to organize it much - seems to take care of itself.

Upvote 0
If you're thinking "What the heck am I supposed to do with this thing....", I'm wondering why the heck you even bought one without knowing what you were going to do with it? You could have bought a much cheaper Asian built 7" tab to fiddle with as a "gadget".

Not trying to attack you. Just REALLY "wondering" why your only response to people regarding the choice of tablet they bought is they should've bought a much cheaper Asian tablet?

For many of us, these tablets are just gadgets. I didnt have a pressing need for a new one; just jumped on a really good deal at the time.

Upvote 0
Need we say more? ;):D
y4aruqe2.jpg

Upvote 0
How do you do this?
Roku in the Play store. It's a free app that allows you to use your phone or tablet as a remote control for your Roku box. Your Roku box and your phone/tablet have to be on the same network. Also, if you have more than one Roku in the house, you can choose which one you want to control. Makes for some fun when the people downstairs are wondering why the Roku keeps switching the channel... :p

Reactions: Justinlee1
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones