• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What current phones allow the $25 plan?

No, any phone manufactured before the new phones came out this year. I think that is any phone manufactured or offered for sale before March 2013. I may be wrong on the date, and others here will know the details.

I successfully changed my phone from the Optimus V to the Optimus Elite in May with no issues whatsoever and kept my $25 plan. Huge upgrade for me. Very happy with the Elite, and it's on sale now for $79. Amazing price for that phone. A real value. For my needs, it's all the phone I need, and more.

IMO, Virgin will not have a problem with you upgrading to another 3G phone, but a 4G upgrade may be an issue on a grandfathered plan. I'm not sure if there were any 4G phones before the manufacture Cutoff date. Again, others here will know. I'm speculating here.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
which ones available now? just the triumph? i kinda want to switch from it.

The official VM USA FAQ page regarding phones eligible for use with a grandfathered $25 plan is here:

Learn about new Beyond Talk device upgrade rules

From the FAQ:

"The following smartphones launched before May 1, 2012 and are therefore not subject to the new device upgrade rules at this time: Venture, LG Optimus Slider, HTC Wildfire S, Motorola Triumph, LG Optimus V, Blackberry Curve 8530.

I think that is any phone manufactured or offered for sale before March 2013."

The correct date is May 1st, 2012

I successfully changed my phone from the Optimus V to the Optimus Elite in May with no issues whatsoever and kept my $25 plan.

The Elite isn't on the "official" list in the FAQ above, but it could be an option. I believe I remember reading several reports of people switching to the Elite, even recently, and keeping their $25 plan. Is this correct?

IMO, Virgin will not have a problem with you upgrading to another 3G phone...

If you buy a post-May 1st, 2012 3G phone like the HTC One V or the Samsung Galaxy Reverb, the system will force you to upgrade to the $35 plan when you switch your phone.

Upvote 0
I bought my Elite in August of 2012 and switched from the $35 plan to the $25 plan in October.

Was this a mistype? You could not have gone from the $35 plan to the $25 plan in October. The $25 plan was long dead as of October of this year. Do you mean you "kept" your $25 plan? I did.

I personally upgraded from the Op V to the Op Elite this year and YES I kept my $25 plan. I absolutely did.

Reactions: tcomotcom
Upvote 0
Was this a mistype? You could not have gone from the $35 plan to the $25 plan in October. The $25 plan was long dead as of October of this year. Do you mean you "kept" your $25 plan? I did.

I personally upgraded from the Op V to the Op Elite this year and YES I kept my $25 plan. I absolutely did.

Not a mistype. People were able to switch to the $25 plan. Not possible anymore but it was a couple months ago.

Upvote 0
Not a mistype. People were able to switch to the $25 plan. Not possible anymore but it was a couple months ago.

REALLY? Good for you! Had not heard of this before your post. Outstanding you were able to hop on. Not that 10 bucks is a huge deal, but money is money and you might as well save a bit.

Love my $25 plan and my Elite. I use a BBerry for business, so for my personal phone, I enjoy texting, email, and other data items. The $25 plan is perfect.

Thanks for the info on the Zero Hour switch to $25 ;)
and Congrats. You gotta' love a deal.

Upvote 0
Interesting. So for you, the loss of the much-sought-after $25 plan was less important than getting an EVO V.

What do you like so much that it was worth the extra 10 bucks? Simply the speed?

Thanks for the info.

I upgraded mostly for the screen size and resolution. The Elite was my first smart phone, and I liked it a lot. But I can

Reactions: vmforlife
Upvote 0
reason i started this thread is that i'm really sick of my Triumph. so really only the optimus elite is an option in terms of a comparable/better phone to move to while keeping the $25 plan, right?

what i'm contemplating doing instead of this (i know this has been talked about over and over again) is moving to the t-mobile $30 plan and getting the LG Optimus L9.

thoughts? if buying a phone for t-mobile, what frequency must you look for?

Upvote 0
reason i started this thread is that i'm really sick of my Triumph. so really only the optimus elite is an option in terms of a comparable/better phone to move to while keeping the $25 plan, right?

what i'm contemplating doing instead of this (i know this has been talked about over and over again) is moving to the t-mobile $30 plan and getting the LG Optimus L9.

thoughts? if buying a phone for t-mobile, what frequency must you look for?

You need 1700 and 2100 Mhz for 3G on T-Mobile. As they upgrade towers, they are moving 3G to the 1900 Mhz frequency but most areas still require 1700 Mhz.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones