• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What custom ROM is best for me: want less lag + better battery life

Been using Vortex 2.8 myself and it's one of the better ROMS out there though, deVorteX just dropped 2.9. In the past year, I've run RubiX-Focused for Froyo, Darkslide, Liquid, ApeX, Liberty, SSX, and a few mobile-sensei's roms. Rubix was good for Froyo roms but, if you're looking for a GB rom, I like sensei's and deVorteX roms. For an init 2 rom, I liked the SSX offerings. I'll usually get about 44 - 52 hours on a 1880/1930mAh battery after everything has been setup and running the way I want it. Your mileage will vary according to the number of apps installed, daily usage, and eye candy. Good luck on finding one that works best for you and make sure you get some SBF practice in at some point. Don't forget to back up any rom you get set up and would like to keep if you're going to try a few out, that way you always have a reliable backup to restore your DX to an operational status if anything would happen. ;-)

Upvote 0
no rom acts the same all the time, some experience battery drain, where others who use the exact same rom do not, any .605 based rom will give you great battery life.

any 2init rom still based on froyo will kill your battery
any 2init rom (MIUI,CM7,OMFGB) that are on the gb kernel will give you decent battery life

my suggestion is try them all out, thats the only way you are going to know which one works best for you, and always remember to make a backup of each one, that way you know which one to go back to (make sure you rename your backups with rom manager so you dont get confused)

you should run each rom for about 1-2 days

Upvote 0
I'm on MIUI right now and the battery life is really good but I personally don't care for the UI. I't is pretty fast and doesn't have a lot of FC issues for me. I tried ICX and had a lot of FC's. I liked the UI just to buggy for me. Liquid Smooth 3.0 was super fast. The UI was sweet but the battery life was pretty crappy. Running Android Overclock with a lot of differnent profiles was the only way I could get the battery to last for 12 hrs. I have been on MIUI for three days now but I think I'm ready for a change. The MIUI rom has a lot of themes which is kinda cool but to me it seem to be kinda restrictive in a lot of ways. To Iphone ish for me.

Thats my 2 cents
Thanks

Upvote 0
i took a different approach. i've got the special edition 605 and i made my own "rom" using widget locker, launcher pro, juice defender, droid overclock, battery monitor and of course Ti.

my "theme" is blue. i downloaded launcher pro icons and drawers, colored some others blue. i used a blue button boot logo and a blue eye boot animation. i made a few tweaks with rom toolbox.

seems to be solid, fast and great battery life.

Upvote 0
i took a different approach. i've got the special edition 605 and i made my own "rom" using widget locker, launcher pro, juice defender, droid overclock, battery monitor and of course Ti.

my "theme" is blue. i downloaded launcher pro icons and drawers, colored some others blue. i used a blue button boot logo and a blue eye boot animation. i made a few tweaks with rom toolbox.

seems to be solid, fast and great battery life.

Could you share more on this? What exactly is the special edition 605? How did you get rid of bloat? Thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones