• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What date do you believe the EVO 4G will go on sale?

What date do you believe the EVO 4G will go on sale?

• May 22/23

Votes: 43 27.2%
  • May 29/30

Votes: 16 10.1%
  • June 5/6

Votes: 62 39.2%
  • June 12/13

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • July / August

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • None of the above

Votes: 10 6.3%

• Total voters
Sorry bout the lenght of this.

Im still going to say earlier than the 22nd? I made a cause for this idea late Friday night when I mentioned that the media blitz everyone is expecting BEFORE the phone sells was not a necessity.

I also have info from a company that can sell sprint products that I hope to work for soon so I can sell an EVO to myself, and it simply states it should be available BY the 13th of June. So I have no inside info at all to say anything earlier.

I dont think anyone knows, and I think that is by design. The fact that this has been such a good secret makes me think that it is at least POSSIBLE for it to come out early. The Media event coming up would be a perfect opportunity to blow things up by saying it will be in stores......as soon as the stores can get them in. All the other arguments made here are reasons why they MIGHT want to do it this way.

As for not seeing any dates on a calendar or something like that, I highly doubt that the people in charge are going to take out a calendar and circle it saying this is the date EVO will come out. Everything can be in order, ready to ship later, then the ones that need to make the orders can simply sign the ok to have them shipped immediately.

They have already proven that with this phone, they expect to really be industry leaders. I think Dan Hesse has a master plan as others have mentioned in here with gradual "business" decisions that draw peoples interest into the idea of Sprint as a legit competitor. Then mention that they are going to have the best phone available, then bam here it is and now we are going to show the world how great it is.

I highly doubt that Sprint cares how many are lined up at the door the first day, as long as they can move a ton of these units over the next few months and start getting more and more people using the 4G networks. I think Dan is smart enough to know that one phone is not going to be able to turn sprint into the leading carrier. He has a long range plan and EVO is one of many important pieces.

And for the last little tidbit of how my mind works, and it will be unpopular. I still have some doubts at times about the timeliness and depth of Jacksons inside knowledge. Not a hater Jackson, but there has been a little wavering on some things. It would be hard to guess on everything and you have had some interesting info for us so I cant call u a fake in any way, just questioning the idea that the release date could be off.

And last but not least, I hope I am right, but I still will plan on early june, then anything else is a bonus.

Upvote 0
Imo, The only real possibility for it being the 22nd of May would be 2 things: It could be Sprint trying to surprise us, as they did say they'd have some surprises in store, or secondly, if Sprint is serious about getting a lead on Apple, it would make sense.

I still think it will be released on June, but this is one of those rare instances where I'd love to be proved wrong :D

Upvote 0
I signed up just respond, although I'm impatiently waiting for the phone.

Sprint has a habit of doing bad launches.
I'm with the ones who are down on them. I've been through the Pre and the Touch Pro, both done badly.
I see them doing the same exact thing as the Pre. Announce a CTIA then what 3 months to actually release the phone while the buzz wears off and competitors release new phones.
If the Evo is in short supply it'll be exactly as the others. I couldn't get a touch Pro for almost 3 months.

I hope they do release the phone on May22nd, about as good a date as any but it almost makes too much sense. I wouldn't bet on it.

Upvote 0
I voted No, but only because I'm one that hopes for the best, but expects the worst. My expectations are June 6, so if it comes anytime before that, I'll be extremely happy. To me, it's just a phone (albeit a GREAT phone), so I can always wait for when the time is right for it to be available. It still makes absolutely no difference to me if Sprint screws up the marketing for the phone, as long as it at least meets the expectations I have for it. I'm hoping it exceeds it, but if it gets the job done for my life needs and continues to do so the longer I have the phone...good enough for me.

Upvote 0
ugh, I cant believe the general info thread was locked. all on the arguing if if the Evo would be released on May 22nd or in June. Let me clarify something. Sprint has already officially announced the Bold 9650/Tour 2 for May 23rd. NO WAY in HELL is Sprint releasing the Evo a DAY before the new Tour. No Cellphone carrier would dare ruin a relationship with a phone manufacturer like that, especially one thats extremely popular. Dont get me wrong, I'm sure theres alot more people who want the Evo, but theres some people out there who want the Tour more. RIM would be pissed to be cast aside like that. Every carrier has to give a new phone a sales period, if the phone is within the same "class" (Smartphone, Basic Flip phone, Messaging Phone) as another, they wont release it at the same time. In this case, people would say the Tour 2 is in the same class as the Evo, Multimedia & Business Smartphone, (I think the Evo brings a new standard to phones though :D) so Sprint would most likely give the Tour its own time to sell.

People should just chill. May 22nd to June 6 is a difference of two weeks, if we've waited this long, we can wait those two extra weeks.

Reactions: kritzell
Upvote 0
The difference in 2 weeks, particularly in that time frame, is Apple stealing most of the free media limelight and basically making Sprint waste their marketing budget when the new iphone is revealed and possibly launched.

I also saw some other sites mentioning a new Motorola that got approval somewhere. Dunno if it's gsm or cdma but it does have similar specs to the Evo with 4.3" screen, hdmi output, 1080p, etc.. Of course, this probably won't hit market until later in the year, but still. The Evo's once unique features will soon become commonplace or yesterday's news. The only thing Evo might still have is 4G.

Timing with the window of opportunity can be crucial. And maybe waiting that extra week, could push some people to AT&T or VZW...I'm sure it already has. I'm sure some of those Incredible sales could've been Evo sales.

Upvote 0
ugh, I cant believe the general info thread was locked. all on the arguing if if the Evo would be released on May 22nd or in June. Let me clarify something. Sprint has already officially announced the Bold 9650/Tour 2 for May 23rd. NO WAY in HELL is Sprint releasing the Evo a DAY before the new Tour. No Cellphone carrier would dare ruin a relationship with a phone manufacturer like that, especially one thats extremely popular. Dont get me wrong, I'm sure theres alot more people who want the Evo, but theres some people out there who want the Tour more. RIM would be pissed to be cast aside like that. Every carrier has to give a new phone a sales period, if the phone is within the same "class" (Smartphone, Basic Flip phone, Messaging Phone) as another, they wont release it at the same time. In this case, people would say the Tour 2 is in the same class as the Evo, Multimedia & Business Smartphone, (I think the Evo brings a new standard to phones though :D) so Sprint would most likely give the Tour its own time to sell.

People should just chill. May 22nd to June 6 is a difference of two weeks, if we've waited this long, we can wait those two extra weeks.

Excellent point about the BB.

And there are people these days who cannot wait TWO MINUTES, much less two weeks. Instant gratification... :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I voted "no" simply because I've been told June 6th over and over and that's what's stuck in my head. Totally illogical but I feel safe waiting for June 6th and am confident that one way or another it will be out by then. On the off chance that they change dates and do it a week earlier it will be cool but only if they bump up my upgrade by a week. I was a launch day Pre buyer so I can't upgrade until June 6th anyway.

Today I found out some terrible news...I will have to work that Sunday morning!! WTF?! I never work Sundays.

I am gonna be bummed if they sell out and I get off work only to drive all over creation trying to find an Evo for sale...

Upvote 0
so you go with the 2 sources that have given no real info except what is known and who re-phrase their info over and over. Wow I dont like politicans but i guess this website loves them

If you had been around on the Sprint forums and here from the start (prior to CTIA, etc) you would know that those two have been the only ones to give any real inside info.

The reason they rephrase it is because people keep starting bogus rumors and their info hasn't changed. In my opinion that doesn't make them "politicians" but rather dependable sources who don't change their mind and flip out every time some new rumor starts flying.

There's only so much actual inside info to go around as most people are under NDA and the final details are only known to some higher ups.

Upvote 0
i haven't been keeping up with the IPHONE HD, but is everyone speculating that the new IPHONE will be released the same day as the WWDC, june 7th?? I mean if the new IPHONE is announced on June 7th and releases at the end of June.. Not sure the June 12/13 release date of the EVO would be that bad??? Definitely bad if EVO is released june 5/6... but just thinking if the IPHONE is released later June.. I don't think it would take all the thunder away from the EVO.. but totally agree with Bill about May being a lot better all around. it would make sense.. if you have your big announcement on May 12.. why wait a month to release it????

Upvote 0
i haven't been keeping up with the IPHONE HD, but is everyone speculating that the new IPHONE will be released the same day as the WWDC, june 7th?? I mean if the new IPHONE is announced on June 7th and releases at the end of June.. Not sure the June 12/13 release date of the EVO would be that bad??? Definitely bad if EVO is released june 5/6... but just thinking if the IPHONE is released later June.. I don't think it would take all the thunder away from the EVO.. but totally agree with Bill about May being a lot better all around. it would make sense.. if you have your big announcement on May 12.. why wait a month to release it????

An iPhone release is going to steal all the thunder. From everything. Regardless if it comes out on that day, or months later. The Evo needs to be marketed and out before June 7th!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones