• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What date do you believe the EVO 4G will go on sale?

What date do you believe the EVO 4G will go on sale?

• May 22/23

Votes: 43 27.2%
  • May 29/30

Votes: 16 10.1%
  • June 5/6

Votes: 62 39.2%
  • June 12/13

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • July / August

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • None of the above

Votes: 10 6.3%

• Total voters
For the guys that voted May: the official Sprint documentation all over the internet and their site says "Summer 2010." May is not summer. It's not going to happen.
That will be a very unpopular option you just stated. I tried that a couple of weeks ago, because of the Apple convention. My opinion was that it would be better to wait until July or August after all the iPhone noise calms down, but Sprint is starting their media blitz next week and one of the testers is saying the phone is finished (although, there will probably be software updates). Also, we've learned that phones are being shipped into warehouses. It doesn't make any sense to me that there would be this big sales push only to say, "sorry, you have to wait until August to get the phone".

Upvote 0
That will be a very unpopular option you just stated. I tried that a couple of weeks ago, because of the Apple convention. My opinion was that it would be better to wait until July or August after all the iPhone noise calms down, but Sprint is starting their media blitz next week and one of the testers is saying the phone is finished (although, there will probably be software updates). Also, we've learned that phones are being shipped into warehouses. It doesn't make any sense to me that there would be this big sales push only to say, "sorry, you have to wait until August to get the phone".

There is no guarantee May 12th is going to be a big sales push, it could simply be another sneak peak and some misc features they left out before, again nothing is in writing just speculation.

Upvote 0
I think the summer date was given for a few reasons.

The biggest reason was they needed the 4g network to be substantial by then in certain areas that needed to be covered..

I believe the necessary coverage areas are ahead of schedule, If that is true and the phone is ready why not release the phone ahead of the Summer schedule?

Upvote 0
Bah, made a boo-boo lol. I was going to vote none of the above thinking there was only the dates that were there before didn't realize you added summer dates. Oh well my none of the above vote went into the wrong category. :)

The biggest reason was they needed the 4g network to be substantial by then in areas that needed to be covered..

I believe the necessary coverage areas are ahead of schedule, If that is true and the phone is ready why not release the phone ahead of the Summer schedule?

True, I've always said prepare for the worst, so at worst we'll see it come summer time I'd love to be wrong though. Worst that could happen is I get my Evo early.

Upvote 0
Bah, made a boo-boo lol. I was going to vote none of the above thinking there was only the dates that were there before didn't realize you added summer dates. Oh well my none of the above vote went into the wrong category. :)

True, I've always said prepare for the worst, so at worst we'll see it come summer time I'd love to be wrong though. Worst that could happen is I get my Evo early.
I might be able to fix it...

Upvote 0
I like May 22, and here is why... Everyone :Dknows:D That Memorial Day weekend is the "unofficial" start to summer, so that being said, one could say that is Summer '10.

Fact or not, that is my story & I am sticking to it!
I believe it was eieio that said "Under promise and over deliver". Something like that were his words. Sounds like a good way to make everyone happy.

Upvote 0

The biggest reason was they needed the 4g network to be substantial by then in certain areas that needed to be covered..

That would be so awesome to get rid of my Touch Pro by anytime in May! I'd love that. And even more encouraging that you've got the inside track on the Wimax/4G info, eieio!

When I first found out about the EVO a couple months back, I seriously thought to myself, "there's no way they can have WiMax and 4G deployed to LA in a couple months." Glad my pessimistic views at that time were completely wrong! I was honestly willing to wait until the fall for it to be available in L.A., but man...to have it available by the time I get the phone!...Unreal!

Upvote 0

I'm sorry, what? I was over here in my office trying to cut one of my hairs in 1/2 with a scalpel... ;-)

You're right! I wonder if that means we're all wrong! On a good note, my friend, who works in a Sprint store, said that the Advocate for the Evo was selected last week. For those that don't know, an Advocate is an employee at each Sprint store that gets a phone about a month early to learn it so that they can be the expert when the phone releases. He said that the Advocates are always selected within about a month of the phone's actual release.

Reactions: kritzell
Upvote 0
Remember guys we are speculating.. I want to be able to come back to the forum on May 22 and not get hate mail in my inbox if it does not launch. :D

I got your back, eieio! No hate mail from me for sure, even if May 22 comes around and the phone's not out. Wheather it's May or June, I'm just psyched to get this phone, especially if it exceeds my expectations. And even more-so if L.A. has full 4G coverage by the time I buy the phone!

Reactions: eieio
Upvote 0
As far as I'm concerned, this speculation is only for fun. Nothing more than that. Something to do while we wait.

Eieio cast some doubt in the other thread about the possibility of getting no word on May 12th. That would be a disaster and would cast serious doubt on my May 22nd prediction. Still, Dan Hesse himself is supposed to appear at the NYC event and I'm highly anticipating the announcement of WiMAX in NYC which is supposed to be ready to go for the event. Besides Disney's Price of Persia movie which is being released Memorial Day weekend (another date listed in the poll) it's being billed as "Experience Sprint's HTC EVO 4G and Disney's Must-See summer movie".

Upvote 0
from HTC or Sprint I don't remember said that it would be here way before June so I'm going to have to go with late May especially with the Samsung Galaxy S coming out beginning of June and Iphone end of June.

I stopped listening to a lot of the "tipsters" because a lot of the info is a bunch of crap. We are almost there either way.

Upvote 0
Self Praise told me and he mentioned in the thread that May 22nd is not the release date, but he did indicate that it could be released in late May.

Some people have speculated that since Sprint is giving an advance screening of "Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time," on May 12th, that the movie might come preloaded on the EVO 4G. The movie itself opens in theaters on Friday May 28th.

I don't really like the idea of the phone being released on Memorial Day weekend, but what if it went on sale the 26th or the 27th ahead of the weekend? I know Sprint doesn't normally release during the middle of the week, but this isn't a normal phone either. This just seems like a good way to get started, by coupling the phone release with the excitement of a new movie release.

Jackson mentioned today that it's possible the phone could be released late this month, so could this be it?

Reactions: kritzell
Upvote 0
I'm not sure of an exact date, but I think the EVO "blaze across america" contest has some good clues as to a possible release.

In the official rules, the contest ends on 5/9. The 10 people that will win an EVO will be notified on/or about 5/18, then have 3 days to accept the terms.
So basically, the winners should have the phone the weekend of the 21/22. And the verbiage of the contest says "have the phone before it hits the streets."

So I'd have to say sometime in june.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones