1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

What determines the value of a car?

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by sfbloodbrother, Oct 10, 2014.

1. sfbloodbrother

sfbloodbrother Extreme Android User

I have a 2002 Ford Taurus with 98,604 miles on it. I see other tauruses out there going for a few thousand. However, the shop guy said this Taurus was worth $200.now there is everything wrong with this car, and fixing it would cost more than the car is worth.

So why is it that my crappy car is worthless?

Basically what I'm asking is why are there other tauruses out there with 300,000 miles on it selling for a few thousand while mine hasn't hit 100,000 miles and it's worthless? Why did my car parts die before theirs?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. dibblebill

dibblebill Android Expert

Can you check maintenance records? How well it is maintained can be a factor, as well as year it came out. It's unusual that a 2002 with 98k on it is worth less than one with 300K, but it happens (my first was a 1992 Olds with 93k on the odo)

3. sfbloodbrother

Well, it's my grandma's car, and I just use it.

I still need to buy my own car. But She can't afford to repair the car anymore, so when it's done with. There is no more car to drive.

Which is why I would like to know what determines the value of a car. (Which you kinda answered)

I need to buy a car, but don't want to buy a car that could be in good condition on the inside, but down the road will need as many repairs as my grandma's Taurus needs.

From all the cars she owned, they were crappy as her stories tell. All the Tauruses she had, (She had like 3 generations) they all crap out before 100,000 miles, so maybe it's the way she drives. That or Ford doesn't make good cars.

4. A hot guy driving it. :D

5. sfbloodbrother

A hot rich young guy driving a Hummer H3... Off road. Wishing I could be with him.

Won't buy it though... I'm not rich.

6. jaredwww

jaredwww Newbie

Put a selling price around 2k taurus's sell real easy and fast. I sold a 97 with 160k miles on it for 2k recently so you could ask 2500 and you know they are ganna try and talk you down.

7. no one

no one Android Expert

Supply and demand. The more people want it, the more it will cost. Especially, if it is rare. A Toyota Camry will not fetch anything close to that of BMW M1.