1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

What dictates the performance of a chipset?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by BinaryJuice, Mar 22, 2014.

1. BinaryJuice

BinaryJuice Newbie
    None

May 29, 2013
    Male
    United Kingdom
    In computers, the motherboard houses the components, and then you receive performance equal to the components you choose (e.g. CPU, GPU, RAM etc)

But mobile devices use chipsets, like Snapdragon chipsets and Exynos chipsets.
    And what confuses me is, a MediaTek chipset with the exact same CPU and GPU (and amount of RAM) at the same (or higher) clock speed as a Snapdragon chip may deliver less than half the performance of the Snapdragon, despite it having the same (or better) internal components.

I may be missing something obvious here but currently I don't understand how that works.

Advertisement

2. BRAINZ2013

BRAINZ2013 Extreme Android User
    None

Feb 21, 2012
    Male
    MECHANIC OBDII. NOS. FUEL INJECTION. Saving a Life
    Park Ave., HELL
  3. BinaryJuice

BinaryJuice Newbie
    None

May 29, 2013
    Male
    United Kingdom
  4. wonky

wonky Member
    None

Sep 21, 2012
    Actually those links aren't very relevant to answer your question, unless I'm mistaken?

They don't really tell you much about phone chipsets, unless you want to actually learn the basics of what a chipset is (but I think you know this?).

For me, in PC hardware I pretty much know how most major components perform (though I'm a bit slower with mobile chipsets) and I think that in order to understand how one chipset compares to the other, you (and I...) simply need to do more research with how the different chipsets perform, that's it.

I think it's just a matter of learning about them more and knowing which are faster and good for what. Not really the "what is a chipset?" type of websites explaining the fundamentals of a chipset.

Or am I wrong?

5. BRAINZ2013

BRAINZ2013 Extreme Android User
    None

Feb 21, 2012
    Male
    MECHANIC OBDII. NOS. FUEL INJECTION. Saving a Life
    Park Ave., HELL
    Feel free to post what u want we all here to help each other

6. BinaryJuice

BinaryJuice Newbie
    None

May 29, 2013
    Male
    United Kingdom
    You're not wrong, but I already know which chipsets are more powerful than others, what I didn't understand was why one chipset was faster than another if they're both holding the same base components, or if the slower performing chip was holding more powerful components.

The links talked about bus speeds and the other factors involved which made it a bit clearer, but I still can't give a completely confident conclusion.

7. dan330

dan330 Extreme Android User
    None

Jan 22, 2010
    bus speeds are more involved in computers... the CPUs there are much more powerful.

in phones.. I think it is more to the size of the CPUs... size of the transistors inside.
    the newer better performing CPUs are manufactured to newer tech.. smaller tech.

my guess.. the cheaper CPU are built on old tech.. bigger transistors.
    use more power; eat battery.. more heat.. slower, longer times to finish processes.

also.. slower, cheaper RAM.. slower refresh rates.. read and writes are slower

maybe .. internal cache of CPU..
    full computer CPUs have internal Cache memory to help speeds. more is better.
    not sure about mobile CPUs.. do they have internal cache? if so.. then quality and size of that cache would also affect speeds.

funkylogik likes this.
  8. wonky

wonky Member
    None

Sep 21, 2012
    Oh right. Yes, sorry to say neither can I. I am always amazed at the magic the engineers can pull off, both in the architecture of the chips and the process technology improvements.

But I wish I knew more here.