1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

What did you have before your 2x?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jree, Apr 21, 2011.

1. jree

jree Android Enthusiast

Just wondering cause I am strongly considering this phone as a replacement for my Vibrant. What did you guys and girls have before this phone? Would you make the switch to this phone again?

I know that the official release of this phone in the US was yesterday so there is still a honeymoon period to go through. I just don't know yet if this phone is worth the switch from my rooted Vibrant

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rusty

Rusty Android Expert

A Nexus One, and very briefly, a Nexus S.

3. Greymatter

Greymatter Lurker

Samsung Galaxy 3

4. cazman

cazman Well-Known Member

A Samsung G600, I also had a 2G iPod Touch for music and apps and such, I got an LG Optimus 2X to save some pocket room and for a change from iOS :)

5. billytrueblue

billytrueblue Member

Xperia x10
    was okish, would have been better if sony gave it 2.2 to start with
    won't go back to sony unless they bring out a kickass phone :) like my beautiful 2x

6. BatfinkUK1

BatfinkUK1 Well-Known Member

7. cazman

cazman Well-Known Member

Plus I wouldn't go to Sony for the way they treated George Hotz who got the keys they use to sign games and such for the Ps3, I would never buy a Sony product because they obviously don't care for community developers. But hey, I'm just one person :L

8. Member187521

Member187521 Guest

Samsung Galaxy I7500, rooted en updated with custom Rom's from Drakaz ;-)

9. wheatbisc

wheatbisc Newbie

Previous phone was a Nokia N900 (maemo), the linux beast ;)

10. colnago

colnago Android Expert

N900 also (beast...got to love "true" multitasking), Nokia E72, Motorola Q9h, Motorola Droid, HTC Inspire (gave to g/f to play Angry Birds...poor reception), currently using Motorola Defy (on both T-Mo and AT&T 3G).

I think I'm giving back the G2x, mainly because it doesn't have the 850/1900 3G bands as originally listed. It's a nice piece of hardware, and I love the form factor, but the weakish reception (consistently 10-15dBm less than my Defy, and holding G2x on bottom half of phone kills the antenna's abiltiy), and a few simple features found on my Defy, recently updated to 2.2, are missing.

11. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Android Expert

You are on AT&T yes? I heard another guy with the G2x on AT&T saying that it was either 4g or 2g, no 3g... but I'm getting mine on T-Mobile, so it aught to have 3g compatibility on the carrier it's designed to run on. If not that's a HUGE design flaw and will probably mean I'd be sending mine back as well.

Guess we'll see on Tuesday when my device arives whether or not I get 3g reception.

12. colnago

colnago Android Expert

I have both T-Mo and AT&T accounts. Just to clarify, the G2x only gets "2G" or "Edge" on AT&T. As far as "no 3G on T-Mo...only 4G and 2G", well, I think that the 4G is just a misnomer, in that HSPA (3G) and HSPA+ (T-Mo's 4G) are still pretty much the same technology. Whereas on Sprint or Verizon, where the difference from 3G to 4G is a change from GSM/CDMA to LTE/WiMax...where you'd need a different radio/antenna, etc.

I'm using the same SIM card from my T-Mo Motorola Defy (always showed 3G), and Nokia N900 (which always showed 3.5G when using data, and was good for a 7.44Mbs speed test via Speakeasy - Speed Test) that I'm using for the G2x, which either shows 4G or 2G. Point is, its still the same WCDMA signal on T-Mo...I think its just marketing really. The test/engineering mode/menus still show a choice of preferred networks between GSM or WCDMA, or both.

Outlaw71 likes this.
  13. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Android Expert

Sp basically what you're saying is that T-Mo has the fastest 3g network going?

:D

14. agera

agera Lurker

sony ericsson z1010... lol

15. colnago

colnago Android Expert

At my house, which is where I'm most concerned with, "yes".

;)

16. kingvortex

kingvortex Well-Known Member

This is my third Android phone. I had the HTC Hero (G2 Touch) first, which was returned to T-Mobile due to 3G connectivity issues. They replaced it for a HTC Desire, with no cost to me! I had the Desire for 12 months and chose the O2X upon upgrade time.
    I really thought the Android experience on the Desire wouldn't be beaten for some time. Truly the best phone I had ever owned at that point. Several of my friends even jumped onto Android phones after having seen my Desire.
    However, I can safely say that the O2X betters the Desire in many ways (off the top of my head; the interface never slows down, even with loads of apps running, the camera is great for a phone, the bigger internal memory for apps is also a plus) and I don't regret upgrading to it at all. I don't even miss Sense that much, which could have been a deal breaker for me.
    In short, the O2X is a great phone. Get one!

17. I had Nokia N900 too

18. Kridons

Kridons Newbie

My first and worst smart phone xperia x10 mini pro i found out that sony ericsson sucks now xD

19. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Android Expert

Oh yeah, totally forgot to list my previous device.... Motorola Droid X, rooted, OC'd, UV'd, running the Gingerbread leak until the official version comes out. It's no longer connected to Verizon, but I still have it around to tinker on.

20. mikulas123

mikulas123 Lurker

Samsung Spica Galaxy I5700

HTC Desire

and now the 2X

I am starting to realize, that changing phones won't help,
    we need a better Android system, or infinite ram, ahah,
    but the integrated memory of 2X is very impressive! :rolleyes:

21. marktroy

marktroy Lurker

I had Samsung Galaxy Tab before this.

22. parampreet

parampreet Lurker

My complete phone ownership history from 2004 onwards :)

Sony Ericsson T630
    Sony Ericsson K500i
    Sony Ericsson W800i
    Motorola MPX 220
    Nokia E61
    Nokia 6300
    Apple iPhone 3G
    BlackBerry Bold 9000
    Google Nexus One
    Samsung Galaxy S i9000
    Nokia N8
    BlackBerry Torch 9800

And I currently own the following devices:
    Apple iPhone 4
    LG Optimus 2X
    Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100

23. Android2230

Android2230 Newbie

I haven't gotten the O2X but I have used it for 2 weeks and decided I am getting it, even resisting the Galaxy S2 temptation. I have a LG O GT540, and I am getting the O2X probably in 7 days. LG O2X rocks!

24. manseydoll

manseydoll Lurker

Before my LG Optimus 2X, I had an HTC Trophy (WP7). Check out what I think about my new handset HERE and leave a comment, thanks.

LG Optimus 2X Forum

The LG Optimus 2X release date was February 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Nvidia Tegra 2 AP20H processor, and 1500mAh battery.

February 2011
Release Date
Reviews