1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General What did you use to transfer information from your old phone.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Snakeyeskm, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Snakeyeskm

Snakeyeskm Android Expert

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    As the title says, what apps or process have you used to transfer information from your old phone to your new galaxy S7?
    How did it work out?

Thanks

Advertisement

2. Rose4uKy

Rose4uKy Android Expert
    None

May 6, 2010
    Kentucky
    I'm coming from an HTC so I am starting all over except for my apps and contacts when I sign in with Google I am guessing.

3. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest
    None
    I just use my Google account,but,I don't restore apps or settings.
    I like to start anew,besides,I switch up often enough to where I can restore by memory.
    AppDragon makes a nice list of your presently installed apps,to which you can save for reference,but,it doesn't restore the settings.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stonedonkey.appdragon&hl=en
    That is enough for me to hit the ground running...............

EDIT:
    I almost forgot:
    Another real nice app that helps out:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jkg.mypaidapps&hl=en

Dan Gelle and Snakeyeskm like this.
  4. Snakeyeskm

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    Google won't move your apps. And as KOLIO says in the prior post, it's worthwhile installing the apps fresh from the Google play store.
    Check out the "G cloud" app. It can make the transition fairly easy particularly if you want records off your old messages, text etc..

The Samsung Smart Switch app can also be used and is particularly useful for Samsung to Samsung transfers as well as iPhone to Samsung android transfers. The following URL (originally written for the Galaxy S6) will help describe the process.
    http://www.androidcentral.com/how-use-samsung-smart-switch

#4 Snakeyeskm, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  5. Bodycount

Bodycount Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 10, 2012
    Male
    Columbus, OH
    The S7 edge that I received came with a special mini USB to full size USB adapter. During the setup process it let me connect to my old phone and the S7 found all my apps, pics, videos, everything basically and transferred them over.

Just make sure both phones are fully charged. I had 40 gigs to move and it took a little over an hour.

KOLIO likes this.
  6. Snakeyeskm

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    That sounds great. Did just connecting the two phones do the trick, or did you have to execute an app or command on the phone screen?
    Thanks

7. Bodycount

None

Jan 10, 2012
    Male
    Columbus, OH
    During the setup process it let me do it. Not sure how to do it during normal operation as I didn't need to do it again yet.

8. Snakeyeskm

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    Anything you can remember about the process would be very helpful. For example, was it the first thing you did, did the setup process suggest that option, had you transferred Sim cards etc. etc.

Looks like all the un-boxing videos I saw completely missed the value of that accessory connector.

Given what you have described, I hope the moderators create a sticky on this forum for all S7 owners outlining the use of that gizmo..

Thanks

9. Rose4uKy

Rose4uKy Android Expert
    None

May 6, 2010
    Kentucky
    What was your old phone? All I really want is my contacts and my calendar entries from G-Mail. I know it wont transfer my apps and I just want to be able to go to the play store and view my apps then decide which ones I want. But like when we get new HTC phones it does save some settings that I like one being wifi password settings so when I go somewhere I've been before that you need to put in a password for it's saved and I don't have to reenter it or ask the person for the password again. But that's ok and we planned on starting over new and fresh like I said I just need my contacts and calendar entries.

It's just a pain logging into apps again remember sign on and passwords. About a month ago I was setting up Android Pay and it said if I put in a credit card I need to have my phone locked and I in the past used the pattern. Well stupid me forgot what it was and it used to be you could punch in your google password to reset it but not anymore. On the M9 I had to just reset it after trying so many different combinations it was awful. And of course then I had to resign in to stuff and still never finished setting up my phone the way it was. But I am looking forward to the change to Samsung.

10. Rebel1860

Rebel1860 Newbie
    None

Mar 6, 2016
    Male
    I have used the smart switch app before when I upgraded from s3 toS5, I have downloaded the app again on my S5 to use when the S7 arrives. I don't remember how it works exactly. Verizon rep had told me to download it use it to transfer data.

11. Rose4uKy

Rose4uKy Android Expert
    None

May 6, 2010
    Kentucky
    Ok so I put app dragon and my paid apps on my phone now but when we get the new one will it cross over? The Google app store will show all of ours too when we log into our Google account right? So technically I don't need these really. I also have Amazon app store cause back in the day they had some good free apps and their is a few I'm gonna want on the new phone. The my paid apps is cool but next to Textra it doesn't say installed but it is. But anyway thanks! We'll figure it all out. It can't be that bad it's not like were going to an iphone LOL!

12. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest
    None
    No,it's just a list,it doesn't restore anything.You'll need to re-install each app.
    Exactly,you don't need AppDragon.I just prefer to do fresh installs of my apps vs backups.
    While this may seem tedious,for my use,it's worth the effort,just in case an app misbehaves,you can rule out corrupted data from a backup as a cause for the FUBAR.

Some apps that are free,but,have in-app license purchase(s) will not show up in "My Paid Apps",especially if the in-app purchase/license is not connected to the GooglePlayStore.

This is why I use both AppDragon & MyPaidApps,so that I have a 100% complete list of what I have been using of late & avoid restoring apps that I have tried,but,no longer use.

13. Rose4uKy

Rose4uKy Android Expert
    None

May 6, 2010
    Kentucky
    No sorry I meant will the list cross over I know I have to reinstall each app sorry. Actually I don't have to worry as much this time around cause were not selling our phones back to Sprint. Usually we don't still have our old phones when we get the new ones I just realized that so I'll be able to set up my folders and stuff similar to my M9. I gotcha I'm gonna fresh install everything yes I just needed a list and I won't even install every single app but most of them. I just remember one time on my husbands tablet it auto started downloading every app he had on his phone. I don't want that I want to pick and choose what I want on my new phone.

Thanks Everyone for your help!

14. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest
    None
    Here's what I do to avoid the auto downloading:
    1) When setting up the phone,skip the Google stuff at 1st.Proceed to all the other non-Google items & fire away.
    2) Once all of that is done,go to your GooglePlayStore App.
    At that time,you'll be prompted to sign-in to your account.Then,immediately go back to the Play Store app & uncheck all the auto-update options.
    Also,do this on your current phone,uncheck auto update/restore/transfer,before switching over.............

Rose4uKy likes this.
  15. Bodycount

None

Jan 10, 2012
    Male
    Columbus, OH
    It was smart switch. And yes it moved all my apps over. I didn't have to redownload them. It also moved my pictures and videos over which my phone could see.

My old phone was a Galaxy Note 3.

Rose4uKy and KOLIO like this.
  16. Snakeyeskm

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    I get it. Using the Smart Switch app with a direct USB connection. Cool.
    Thanks for the info.

Rose4uKy likes this.
  17. Rose4uKy

Rose4uKy Android Expert
    None

May 6, 2010
    Kentucky
    Thanks! My phone now is unchecked to auto update apps. I think I'll be good. This Samsung is new to me. I don't want to transfer over my pictures and videos. They are from my m9. I want all new and today we were in best buy and I took pictures and a selfie OMG great camera and my husband loved the display. It was fast!

KOLIO likes this.
  18. rkkeller

rkkeller Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 25, 2010
    The Dog Pound.
    Does SmartSync work when coming from the iPhone? I am only worried about losing all my txt messages and not really anything else. My contacts and everyting else are in Gmail/Voice/etc.....

19. Snakeyeskm

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
  20. n1nj4Lo

n1nj4Lo Android Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2011
    Male
    Going kinda old school here, ActiveSync and I loved the right click on a .cab and install to phone feature.

I just really miss Windows Mobile and it's awesome TodayScreen customization, but in a lot ways Android is very much a like Windows Mobile.

21. n1nj4Lo

n1nj4Lo Android Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2011
    Male
    Even more old school, just a good old fashioned sd card reader and windows explorer, then popping it back in the phone.

Twiz likes this.
  22. BoomerShooter74

None

Mar 3, 2016
    Male
    I'm using the Smart Switch app along with the USB adapter and cable....84% complete...seems to working ok, it let me choose what all I wanted to transfer over from my Note 3.

Snakeyeskm and KOLIO like this.
  23. skypilot1

skypilot1 Lurker
    None

Apr 6, 2015
    Male
    I assume your talking about the Samsung Smart Switch Mobile app, not a 3rd party smart switch ?

24. Nick The Great

Nick The Great Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Iowa
    I used Smart Switch, worked fine once I read the freaking instructions. The migration app that popped up on the S7E was not Smart Switch. It clearly said that in the instructions, I figured out after a long time.

I shouldn't have "moved" the contacts over since I have mine on the cloud. But other than that it worked really well.

KOLIO likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S7

The Samsung Galaxy S7 was launched in 2016 and was one of two devices in the lineup. The device features a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 2560 x 1440, 4GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 12MP rear camera.