1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support What do I do if I have two enteries of the same APP listed on the APP screen?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by flying dog, Jun 2, 2011.

1. flying dog

flying dog Member
    None

Oct 12, 2010
    I have a TELSTRA Desire 2.2

When I press the ^ key and scroll down to S I see two enteries of Scan Code.

How do I remove the second entery?

Advertisement

2. SiHa

SiHa Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 29, 2010
    Southampton, UK.
    You may have two versions installed. Have you looked in Settings > Applications > Manage Applications?

3. Usta

Usta Android Expert
    None

Jul 8, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Or it might be that the application update didn't properly remove everything from the old version. I'd uninstall and reinstall it.

4. flying dog

flying dog Member
    None

Oct 12, 2010
    Thanks guys.

Alas research has determined this:
    The phone *IS* with Telstra. It came with their Scan Code program. Though it actually isn't installed. You have to run the app and it goes off to Telstra's site (or somewhere) and installs the stuff needed.

As I backed up my apps with APPMONSTER before upgrading to 2.2 and restored the apps, one is the one which is installed and works, the other is the one which comes with the ROM.

What I can do is un-install the app and I only have one icon left. That is the ROM one, but then when I try to use it, it trys to go and get the program.

Alas good news/bad news. As the phone's IME isn't in/on HTC's list as being a TELSTRA PHONE, it won't allow me to install it again.

I am trying to get information on "PROOF OF PURCHASE" but to whom do I give it? HTC or Telstra?

I "luckily" spoke to someone at HTC and they told me the "SERIAL NUMBER" to put in to download the 173 meg file - the new ROM's - RUU - and it worked. But the phone still isn't registered with HTC as being a valid TELSTRA phone.

5. Usta

Usta Android Expert
    None

Jul 8, 2010
    The Netherlands
    So you have one system app and the other was a user app.
    Perhaps, you can search for another app that hides icons of the unwanted apps. Then you leave only the user app (the one that you can also update).

6. flying dog

flying dog Member
    None

Oct 12, 2010
    No, I think you didn't understand.

When I got the phone, it has "Scan Code" - Telstra app - on it. As the app doesn't really come "installed" you have to run the app to get it working initially.

But when you do run it, it installs. So, I ran the app and it installed. It works/worked.

I backed up the apps before updating to 2.2. When I loaded 2.2 it had the "dummy" icon which then goes away and installs the app, as well as the icon for the restored app which does work as it was backed up from the 2.1 install.

Yeah, so the question remains - kind of - why/how did it work in the first place.
    I don't know. Telstra say it is not their phone and HTC say the IME is not in their system.

Tags: