• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What do I need to allow my phone to gain charge while using GPS in the car?

I bought the Motorola car dock. The car charger that came with it works great. GPS and charges at the Same time.

I didn't know that a car charger came with the car dock; I was in the store to buy one and asked the salesman if it had a charger, and he said that it didn't. It wouldn't be a surprise, but did this guy just not know what he was talking about?

Upvote 0
Perhaps the OP experienced something along these lines:
https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/123830?tstart=0

I encountered the same issue on a recent week-long road trip. The phone would charge for a while in GPS mode, but the charger would cut off with no notice and the battery begin draining. My phone was extremely hot to the touch, and this was driving through snowy, near-freezing NM, CO, and UT.

Upvote 0
I got the bundle from Verizon with the car dock, home dock and verizon charger. No problems with keeping a charge while using GPS. In fact the verizon charger seems faster than home outlet, but I haven't quantified that claim.

That has been my experience (or at least my impression lol) with the last 3 or 4 phones I have had - all motorolas...

But yeah, as to OP, I've never had a problem using navigation while using the Verizon car charger - it stays ahead of the usage with no problem.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

I encountered the same issue on a recent week-long road trip. The phone would charge for a while in GPS mode, but the charger would cut off with no notice and the battery begin draining. My phone was extremely hot to the touch, and this was driving through snowy, near-freezing NM, CO, and UT.
I've had this happen on a three hour road trip. For that one my device was not in the doc on the windshield so the sun wasn't really the major culprit. I've never experienced it with short (< 1hr) trips.

a car charger DOES come with the Car Dock
Car Mount for DROID by Motorola - Motorola USA
I call shenanigans. The box I received from Motorola did not contain a car charger :). I had to purchase it separately. It is possible that they may sell two variants.

Upvote 0
I call shenanigans. The box I received from Motorola did not contain a car charger :). I had to purchase it separately. It is possible that they may sell two variants.

This has been a point of confusion since launch. Motorola one does, the Verizon one does not. So the guy in the Verizon store was not lying.

Enter your location
Thanks for clearing that up. I had no idea

Upvote 0

Same thing has happened to me twice. Seems to be on trips more than two hours. I assumed it was because I had it in a Seidio case and car dock - lots of insulation.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones