• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps What do I need to learn to get through with my idea?

JenniferBell

Lurker
Jun 18, 2015
Hi :)

I recently started to learn android programming in a 30-hours-course but I think it's really the most basic. Well, it happens I have an idea for an app and I really wanna go through with it. So here's what I wanna do:

location-based chat app , showing list or geographic position of people nearby, allowing users to send messages or video chat with one another.
A gallery to where the users can upload their fotos and videos;
And a News and Articles category.

Since what I want to learn is pretty specific, I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction? Like what topics should I learn, what language, what would I need to bring this online, how could I manage the database, etc...

Thank you

Reactions: autonomous1
If you haven't done so already, I would recommend installing Android Studio. You can obtain source code of sample apps to build in Android Studio, such as Android Map Areas.

Here is a screenshot of Android Map Areas:
4651a40c4285a0f0b1f6cd9ee865f1cc.png

There is a tutorial on getting started with Android Studio which will help with the process of loading a project into Android Studio, building it, and testing it with the emulator.

I find that the BlueStacks App Player runs more quickly for testing and debugging apps than the default emulator that comes with Android Studio.

Other source code for Android apps can be found here:
http://devcodemarket.com/android

You may find there is a rather steep learning curve with the Java language and Android libraries, but there is also some plain english embedded in the source code. A useful tool in Android Studio is the edit/find/find in path menu item to find your way around unfamiliar source code.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forum Fiend 2 v1.3.8.

Last edited:
Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones