• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What Do Idiots Call Your Evo?

It doesn't really bother me what the unfamiliar refer to my phone as...... I just tell them it's the new Jesus Phone (the old one was de-throned), and it does everything I need it to, including shielding me from water in the rain.

Is That Hardware Version 0666 Or Something?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
One time, somebody asked "Is that an..."

And I interrupted them "No, its not an iPhone."

Then they say, "I was going to ask if that was that Evo phone"

So, perhaps I just assume everybody thinks my phone is an iPhone. Usually, I get asked "Which one is that?", even if they don't know the type of phone, I think most people know there are plenty of touchscreen phones out there now, at least people I come across.

Upvote 0
Today, I Was At A Party And I Decided To Take It Out To Show Off Than I Hear People Say, "Look At His Phone" And A Person Says Out Of Nowhere "He Has The iPhone 4. Look At The Big Screen And The Retna (Or However You Spell It) Display. It Even Says ... HTC." He Gets All Embarrassed And Leaves The Party. lol.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
I actually think Droid sounds better than Android, so I just tell people it's a new Droid called the Evo. All the other EVO owners at my company call our phones Droids as well.
It's just a lot easier to explain than saying: "It's like an iphone but it's a 4G cell phone that runs the Android OS, which is made by Google and runs on Sprint's network...oh, the interface looks different because it runs HTC sense...you know, the newer version of Touchflo 3D...yeah, it's called Touchflo without the W"

Instead, all I say is "Droid!", and everyone immediately knows what it is.

Upvote 0
Down here in Tallahassee, I just usually get, "Oh, you got the iPhone? I've been looking at that awhile. How do you like it?". My usual response is to either turn it over, show them that it's an Evo, then point out the things that it has a leg up on over the iPhone they mistake it as, or just tell them an it's an Evo and they usually go 'Oh..' and walk away. Not many people so far that I've seen in Tallahassee (at least social people) are very technology conscious. They only seem to know about what's blasted with the most adverts across television, radio, and the internet.

Either way, I still try to take a salesman approach and coax people into being interested in the phone if they comment on it. I'm doing what I can to convert people, one by one.

allyourbase.jpg
SOON ENOUGH, FOR NOW WE WAIT.

Upvote 0
Well since I'm six and a half feet tall the phone looks pretty normal sized in my kinda big hands. Most of my close friends are techy enough to know which phone it is, even if they don't know much about it. Two of my friends are getting Droid X and my two best friends have iPhones, which I got them into oddly enough. One of those two are getting iPhone 4, which is cool cause I'll be able to video chat with him.

Upvote 0
Who cares what they call it?

As for Droid or iPhone, I'm not surprised. Verizon and Apple are spending many times more money advertising those brands that Sprint / htc spend on theirs. It's hard to imagine anyone with a TV doesn't have some idea what a Droid is.

Most people don't pay such close attention to phone ads they can recognize small differences between phones. To most people, a DroidX, Droid Incredible and Evo look pretty much the same: a big black slab.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones