1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

What do people have against Itunes?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by ackmondual, Dec 14, 2011.

1. ackmondual

ackmondual Newbie
    None

Dec 8, 2011
    U.S.A., Earth
    First off, NOT intending to start a flame war. I'm curious as to why there's alot of "hate" for Itunes, I'd figure an Android forum is an excellent place to ask such a question (sure as hell ain't gonna be on an Apple hardware/softare forum).

I still use an Ipod Touch for games, and an Ipod Classic for my music on the road. I use Itunes to sync my music, but I've found the IpT really doesn't need Itunes. I can buy apps and junk via the AppStore on the device. Since most of my music is on the Ipod with scroll wheel, that's really the only interraction I need with Itunes for PC.

Overall, I find Itunes for music management decent, but I am annoyed about a few things. Specifically....
    1) When I search for music, it shows me whether or not it's there, but it doesn't tell me where it was. This is why I also keep duplicate playlists on WinAmp. When I search via WinAmp, it tells me which playlist the song was in, and where in the playlist it was (e.g. #87 in a list of 279 tracks)

2) I had to figure out that you can't drag and drop WinAmp PL into the connected Ipod directly. It's gotta go into some Itunes library first, THEN you move those over from the Itunes library to an Ipod.

3) There doesn't appear to be a sure way to backup your setup and playlists, although if I ever get around to resintalling Itunes on my new PC, I'll find out shortly.

Advertisement

2. UssjTrunks

UssjTrunks Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 10, 2011
    The program itself is huge, slow, and prone to crashing.
    Music management functionality is very basic.
    Terrible file support.
    It's ugly.

I was ecstatic when I discovered MediaMonkey. Winamp is another superior alternative. Both of them sync with iDevices.

Here is a decent comparison of iTunes/WMP/MM/Winamp, although it's a little outdated:
    http://www.skytopia.com/project/articles/music/players.html

danaj, ackmondual and Crashdamage like this.
  3. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Android Expert
    None

Feb 16, 2010
    Male
    Intel fab tech
    Salem, OR
    Takes too long to open. Resource hog. Don't want to be tied to one piece of software. When I first got my iPhone 3Gs, I loved the phone (hardware is excellent, and a jailbreak makes it much better), but from the first time I used iTunes, I was pissed off at it. Open... wait wait wait... ok, send stuff to phone... oh good, it has to convert the files... wait wait wait.... Too much waiting. And last time I did an update to a newer jailbroken version of the phone software and I went to restore all my apps, iTunes crashed in the middle up the sync because it took so long and ate up so much of the computers resources that it just died. I don't even use a cable to get music to my Droid X, and I like it that way. Sync my music to Amazon Cloud Server, then access that from the phone. Then I can either stream the music from there to the phone, or download it. So much faster and easier. Even faster would be to use a cable and just drag-and-drop. Can't do that with an iDevice!

Crashdamage and ackmondual like this.
  4. ackmondual

ackmondual Newbie
    None

Dec 8, 2011
    U.S.A., Earth
    hmmm, WinAmp can be used to sync Ipod Classic music!? I'll have to give that a try. Honestly, I currently was using v2.89 or so. I checked out WinAmp 3.x less than a decade ago or so, seemed overly "clumsy", so I kept 2.8y. I then tried 5.x, wasn't bad, but had no reason to switch away from the trim and familiar v2.89, so again, kept it at that. It's worth a shot now. Only thing is, I may still want to install Itunes to backup my IpT anyways (not media, but game saves, data, and stuff)

5. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    I've never like apple devices in general. I could usually find something as good as the apple device or better for the same cost or less. The one time I did have iTunes installed on a CPU it just ran poorly IMO compared to other programs that did the same thing.

ackmondual likes this.
  6. Logan47

Logan47 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 1, 2011
    Geocache
    Slow, bloated, sluggish as hell when dealing with apps. As the frontline method of interaction with apple tech it is ironically dated and dismal.

ackmondual likes this.
  7. richphitzwell

richphitzwell Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 20, 2010
    what others said with added proprietary.

ackmondual likes this.
  8. falkner09

falkner09 Member
    None

Oct 5, 2010
    I had an iTouch for about 2 years; hated iTunes. it actually doesn't work as well as people seem to think; once they released iOS 3 and the iTunes version that came with it, they released this "feature" that caused all songs to be organized partly based on the "Album artist" category. not "album" and "artist" mind you: "album artist" a completely separate category.

it didn't work. it caused a glitch for me and MANY other people that made iOS create multiple album entries for each song in an album, if it didn't have the EXACT same entry for album artist, even though all of them had the same name in the album category, and the same name in the artist category, AND even though you were clearly in the section marked "ALBUMS" on the idevice, meaning it should have ignored every other category for the song list. And the definitive proof it was a glitch, not just a design that I didn't like: no matter which one of those entries you tapped on for the same album, you were always brought to the exact same list of songs, with each of the album songs in it in the same order.

this was especially bad considering that the iTunes CD ripper (in fact, no ripper I'm aware of) did and does not automatically fill in the "album artist" section when a CD is ripped, even IF the CD is recognized by the Gracenote CD database, meaning if you have a large CD collection, which is where many people get a huge chunk of their music collection whether or not they still buy CDs, you can very easily end up with thousands of screwed up album entries.

The worst part: Apple didn't fix it (in fact, I hear they still haven't, going on 3 years now) so the only way for the Apple customer to compensate was and is, to go through ALL YOUR ALBUMS, picking out which ones seem to have multiple entries for each album, then change the album artist entry for EVERY SINGLE SONG IN THE ALBUM. Eventually, you might find that you can speed this along a little bit by going into album view on the desktop iTunes, then right clicking and editing the entry for all the songs. however, it may take other reformatting to get them to appear in the same album in that view, and it will stiull take an outrageously long time. it took me Weeks to get all mine arranged correctly, as just doing a few a night was all I could stand after a while. yeah, you grow to hate iTunes a bit after that.

Also, there's a the Gracenote problems. when I first got my iPod, I thought, "wow, using this to download album art and the proper formatting will be so much faster." ha. it turns out Gracenote sucks, BADLY. even though I ripped CDS flawlessly with iTunes' own ripper, and it identified the album perfectly, it simply could not place correct album art on the names. To make it worse, it's very difficult to get rid of the wrong art, it won't let you use a different ID program, and it puts all the music in the same folder with the songs and albums that do get correct art. so even if you use a program that just rips the art off the files, you'll have to choose between taking ALL the correct ART from ALL your other music, or going through potentially thousand of files one by one to pick the wrong art from every single one; and if you do that, God help you if you ever accidentally click "download all art" again.

due to this, even 3 years later, I still have a few thousand music files that iTunes infected with the covers of obscure foreign bands from Eastern Europe and Asia, that I can't even read. the Moulin Rouge Soundtrack, for example, has the album art of some Scandinavian group with letter I don't know how to type in the name.

Never Forget. In fact, I couldn't forget if I wanted to; since it would be such a burden on my time to fix every single one, I never did find the time; as a result, once I uploaded ALL my music to the cloud at both Amazon and Google music, both of those databases are now also infected with Apple's screw up, IN ADDITION to the local files on my computer.

So yeah, unless both Google, Amazon, and some other third party come up with a way to disinfect all the thousands of music files that have been tainted, on both the Amazon and Google databases, in addition to the tainted files on my computer, AND do it without messing up the files with the correct art (again, at all 3 locations), it seems likely that, for the rest of my life, I will always be reminded at some point of Apple's failure to product test adequately.

It bears stating here that the Gracenote issues have still not been fixed.

Crashdamage and ackmondual like this.
  9. UssjTrunks

None

Nov 10, 2011
    This drove me nuts. But it was both an OS and iTunes issue. Even if you synced using another program, songs on the device would still be organized according to album artist.

ackmondual likes this.
  10. saptech

saptech Android Expert
    None

Proprietary = lock in and no Linux version...

ackmondual, krouget and Crashdamage like this.
  11. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert
    None

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    I just find that it is just very slow on my wife's PC. It takes so long to eject an iPod. For a product that is supposed to be user friendly and from a company that has a supposed reputation that makes products that "just works", I find iTunes with my wife's iPod is anything but. I have a Symbian phone, the Nokia N97. As crappy as the N97 is as a phone, it just seems so much easier to move songs onto it without hassel and quicker than iTunes with an iPod.

12. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Extreme Android User
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    Last time I looked at one (trying to fix my boss's) you had to install QUICKTIME.

That's the biggest POS I have ever seen. If you install it, you always have to go back and reassociate all your media files.

ackmondual likes this.
  13. chrstdvd

chrstdvd Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 28, 2010
    Retired
    Virginia
    I must be one of the few who do like iTunes on my computer. I do not know what you mean by slow, unless you are referring to the Sync every time you connect a device to the computer. That process can be slow. I do not have an iAnything any more. However I play music on the computer while browsing, I stream the music to my phone over WIFI using the Qloud Server, and I can be in Tim Buck Two and stream music from the iTunes library on my computer over 3/4G using the Audio Galaxy app and desktop server.

So, I am happy with it. And besides, I never have figured out how to use the Windows Media Player. Ha.

14. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Extreme Android User
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    The sheer bloat of it all. It's not a management tool for your library much at all. It's a portal that Apple uses to sell you stuff. It's like that is it's primary purpose. Not to help you manage your media, but simply to sell you crap. The bloat on it is simply ridiculous to the point of being ludicrous. Apple is known for putting out products that are sleek and sexy, but iTunes is neither and not even close.

ackmondual and Crashdamage like this.
  15. jester68

jester68 Newbie
    None

Oct 28, 2011
    I only use Itunes if someone buys me a voucher and I know I want a specific album. If I'm spending my own money I use Amazon. It's quicker, the recommendations are better and I find it easier to just browse.

ackmondual likes this.
  16. aysiu

aysiu Android Expert
    None

Mar 6, 2011
    I think iTunes is great. I just wish it had a Linux version.

I don't doubt others have had bad experiences, but I haven't experienced any of this bloat or slowness. As for resource hogging, it isn't anything that's visibly affected my computing experience (I have 3 GB of RAM on my Windows laptop and 8 GB of RAM on my Macbook Pro), so I don't really care exactly how much RAM it's using.

17. krouget

krouget Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 13, 2010
    For starters, there is no native Linux support. Between the two, Google moved quickly to give me a solution (okay, I was doing fine without it). And to be fair, this was while Music was still in beta (I know Google abuses that term), so technically, the official release had Linux support.

The last time I used iTunes on a Windows computer was before the iPhone existed, so I can't speak much to it now (since the iPhone has overtaken iPod sales, I feel its fitting to reference that device). I do recall that while it worked, it didn't do anything spectacular, not that I have anything against it. I was more married to it because my iPod Nano, at the time, required it.

18. dogbertus

dogbertus Member
    None

Nov 10, 2011
    Cleveland, OH
    I like the design of iTunes itself, but I don't like being roped into using it to download music to my iPod, and I dislike how you can barely run it on older computers (like mine.)

ackmondual likes this.
  19. thegexx

thegexx Newbie
    None

Dec 15, 2011
    It's dogshit? It goes through and installs other programs (bonjour, quicktime, safari). It requires usb sync which is usually slow at best, it messes up collections, mixes up album art, drm's all the music that one rips themselves, etc etc...

ackmondual likes this.
  20. Member196159

Member196159 Guest
    None
    I'm guessing that most people who complain about it being slow are on Windows, am I correct in assuming that?

On my MacBook Pro it works a million times better than it does on Windows, but having said that I still prefer using QuickTime (!!!) rather than iTunes.

I find iTunes very intrusive and hate when it just randomly opens (and I want to punch the screen when the icon starts jumping from my Dock!)

ackmondual likes this.
  21. falkner09

falkner09 Member
    None

Oct 5, 2010
    True, but iirc, the only way to sync music to an iPod, unless you hack, is through iTunes right?

even if not, I know If you later did decide to sync through iTunes, it would delete the music from the other source. And even if that weren't true, there's still the Gracenote infection problem. As far as I'm concerned, it's Apple's responsibility to fix that, and I'm still waiting.

22. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Extreme Android User
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    The only syncing with one device thing irritates me as well. That's an Apple thing, not an iTunes thing though, but why can't I sync my device with multiple computers if I want to? So my device gets around. Don't judge.

Anyway, as I said before, I think iTunes is not a program to help you manage media. It's a program to sell you media. All the management stuff is just secondary which is why it's so incredibly bloated and clunky. It's sole purpose for existence is selling you crap. The fact that it can also sync is just an afterthought.

23. UssjTrunks

None

Nov 10, 2011
    LOL. QuickTime. I remember it kept opening on startup even when I told it not to. If there is one piece of software I hate more than iTunes it's QuickTime.

24. UssjTrunks

None

Nov 10, 2011
    Nope. MediaMonkey and Winamp sync with iDevices without any hacking. I can't put into words how happy I was when I discovered this bit of knowledge. :p

25. Dieselbud

Dieselbud Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 1, 2011
    Female
    Alberta, Canada
    This.

And it makes matters worse when there are multiple devices synced to your computer and multiple people of all different ages, taste and needs. Two ipod touches for the 9 & 12yo's and an iPad for myself (and my 4yo).

Then add a friend with an iphone that does not own a computer (there are people like that and she IS my best friend so how can I say no :p). She also has a son who downloads every free app he can find and it just makes for one hell of a mess whenever I plug something in. She does have her own account, but all her stuff is synced to my itunes and it just confuzzles everything.

She is buying her son an iPod touch for Xmas, and I am asking Santa to PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE buy her a computer, but that is unlikely :(

Then to add insult, my 4 year old locked me out of my favorite password by too many wrong attempts and Apple made me come up with another one, because THEY decided that I cannot use the same password twice.