1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

What do you dislike about the Turbo 2

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Whatstreet, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Advertisement

Whatstreet likes this.
  2. Whatstreet

Whatstreet Android Enthusiast

Thanks for the link. The scratching is my greatest concern. I intend to keep my eyes open and to wait to buy for as long as I can. Alternates are the Nexus P6, Samsung S6 or Note 5. Maybe they will upgrade the Maxx to L, then if it works satisfactorily I'll just keep using it.

You say you ordered the screen protectors. Do you own a Turbo2?

3. 007shark

007shark Well-Known Member

I just ordered the Turbo 2 on Friday through MotoMaker at the Verizon store. Expected delivery on 11/16. I am coming from the Sony Xperia Z3v. I skipped the Droid Turbo last year because of the capacitive buttons and lack of microSD. The Sony was a good phone with great battery life and microSD. It just never wow'd me with user experience. That is why I jumped back to the Droid this year. I missed all the Moto features (Active Display, Assist) that I loved on my Moto X (2013). I will update everyone when I receive the phone and use it for a couple of days.

Note: I did order the Verizon tempered glass screen protector based on everything I have been reading regarding how easily it scratches.

Note 2: I compared the my Sony with the display Turbo 2 models and they are the same height and thickness. The Turbo 2 is definitely wider though by about an 1/8".

4. It comes from China. One day to get from China to CT. It has been sitting in CT for the last 18 hours. Expected Tuesday morning.

One of the "almost shocking" perks in the Turbo and Turbo 2 is Touchless Control. It really works.

... Thom

5. Cweldy

Cweldy Newbie

My screen has developed a purple line through the screen about ¼" from the left side. Went to the local Verizon store and they didn't have any in stock to exchange mine. They called Motorola hoping they could get me a phone quicker. The Motorola rep said that they would send me a label to send the phone in and it would take 3-4 buainess days for them to get the phone then another 3-4 for them to send me another one. He said a total of 10 days I would be without a phone. Option 2 was to get a phone in 4 days but I had to pay $25. I am waiting for the store to get one in.

6. SNeitzel

SNeitzel Android Enthusiast

There was a manufacturer that made a very nice matte finish screen protector for the MAXX, I know because I have one but cannot for the life of me find the email for where I ordered it from. Anyone happen to remember that company? Do they make same for the Turbo2?

7. I ordered my Droid Turbo 2 64GB through Moto Maker, It arrived this morning. I unpacked it and charged it on the Turbo charger to 100%. I turned it on. Within 30 seconds a vertical purple line appeared near the left side. Later a wider white line appeared in the center. Later half the screen went black with multiple vertical lines.

I tried power off/power on.
    I tried Wipe Cache Partition,
    I tried Factory Data Reset.

The problem is still there and is clearly hardware.

I called the number on the card in the box and was on the phone for a very long time ... all I wanted to do was return the defective phone and get a new one ... not refurbished ... not a repair ... a new one.

I finally talked to someone who is handling it. In theory I will be getting an e-mail with a return label and a code to enter at
    Moto Maker. I then need to go through the process again, make my choices, and enter the code.

1.jpg 2.jpg 4.jpg

... Thom

#32 Thom, Nov 9, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  8. Martingitdave

Martingitdave Lurker

That's just awful. Sorry. Sounds like a major QC issue.

9. doogald

doogald Extreme Android User

Good luck with the new one.

10. Cweldy

Cweldy Newbie

Mine has the same purple line going through it. I am returning it tomorrow for a galaxy s5.

11. DaveTraveler

DaveTraveler Lurker

Mid-range camera with no action shot mode (resulting in blurriness when any subject moves), hardly any customization. The camera in the Samsung Galaxy S6/S6 Edge and Note 5 blows the Turbo 2's out of the water. I'm embarrassed to take it out to snap pictures. I love everything else about the phone, though (my wife has the Note 5).

12. 007shark

Sorry Thom, kinda leaves a bad first impression. Mine is in Memphis now and scheduled for delivery tomorrow. We'll see how my display is. But also want to point out that I had a Galaxy Tab 3 do something similar with the display. It waited till almost the end of the warranty period.

I would post your problem on Motorola's forum. I think I saw a similar post. This way they can see it is not an isolated case and begin the CAR process.

Thom likes this.
  13. Excellent suggestion.

I could find no other reference to the problem on the Motorola forum. I posted an expanded explanation there.

... Thom

14. lou61166

lou61166 Android Enthusiast

I have owned it for 9 days now and am happy with it why because the battery is great I can actually hear the front facing speaker and all the radios work no drops no excessive battery drain from the radios comming from a destroyed G2 that was an awesome phone before that disaster of an update to lollipop which really ended any love for the G2 what I do not like about it the screen where great could be a little better also no image stabilization on the camera

15. tweak4

tweak4 Well-Known Member

This is probably just a settings issue, but does anyone know if a Turbo 2 can handle voice & data at the same time?
    I was driving to work this morning and noticed that when I called my wife, Waze freaked out about not having data. As soon as I hung up, it recovered fine. Since my old Maxx could handle this scenario just fine, I'm assuming the new Turbo can as well and that I probably just don't have something turned on. Otherwise, that is definitely something that I'll dislike!
    Any ideas?

#40 tweak4, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  16. Do you have Advanced Calling enabled and on? Isn't that the requirement?

... Thom

17. tweak4

tweak4 Well-Known Member

Maybe- I'm honestly not sure.
    I left it off when I ordered the phone, after reading that it can use your data for calling, but in retrospect, that may have just been the HD Voice option that used data. I've just turned Advanced Calling on, so I'll try it on the way home tonight and see if that makes a difference.

18. doogald

doogald Extreme Android User

It doesn't - HD voice use does not count against your data plan. Only the video portion of video calls count against your data plan with Advanced Calling.

Verizon has a good FAQ: http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/advanced-calling-faqs/ - open up number 7, "How much does Advanced Calling cost".

19. I got the return shipping label today and the PIN number to Moto Make the replacement. The defective unit was sent back today and the new one is being assembled. I added that $30 front replacement to see exactly what it was.

It should be noted that I was emulating a soccer ball all day yesterday among eight Motorola departments. Resolution finally came when I followed a suggestion here and posted my problem on the Turbo 2 Motorola Owners Forum. The issues were then addressed about 20 minutes later.

... Thom

20. 007shark

I saw your post and the replies on the Motorola Forum. Glad it all got resolved. Sucks getting an item that you had to wait for bad-out-of-box.

Thom likes this.
  21. Thanks ... I hope the next one actually arrives and actually works. I'm skeptical after this debacle. I wonder if this is a hint of what to expect in the future.

... Thom

007shark likes this.
  22. Cweldy

Cweldy Newbie

Have a link to the thread?

Attached Files:

Thom likes this.
  23. 007shark

24. Cweldy

Cweldy Newbie

Would I get an order number if I bought the phone in store? Verizon won't take the phone back because there are scratches on the screen. Motorola wants an order number to send me a new phone but I can't find it.

25. Verizon has a three-pack of replacements for the front screen for $13.00. Buy one, change the screen, take it to the store?

... Thom

Motorola Droid Turbo 2 Forum

The Motorola Droid Turbo 2 release date was October 2015. Features and Specs include a 5.4" inch screen, 21MP camera, 3GB RAM, Snapdragon 810 processor, and 3760mAh battery.

October 2015
Release Date
Reviews