1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

What do you do when your Android phone is stolen?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by jodor, Jan 7, 2013.

1. jodor

jodor Lurker
    None

Jan 7, 2013
    My niece's Android phone was stolen on the bus today, and it's not likely that it will be found. We withdrew phone service from it, but all her personal phone contact information, texts, and some apps with some personal information are on it. (I don't know what version of Android it is, but she got it new about 1 year ago.)

• Does withdrawing phone service remove her phone contacts from the phone, text messages, etc., or are they stored in the phone itself?
    • Is there a way to wipe her phone?
    • If the battery dies, will the existing memory be wiped?
    • I don't know if she has a Google account, but if she does, can something be done from there to block access to her contacts and personal information?
    • Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Advertisement

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    welcome to the forums!!!!

sorry to here about this, but here is what i would do:

first i get Plan B. just use the link and select install. with this you can lock the device and locate it.

next i would call your carrier and let them know what has happened and what you did with plan b.

cr2 likes this.
  3. mydian

mydian Android Expert

Apr 8, 2012
    Male
    2-Way Radio Repair Technician
    Chicagoland
    Contacts are synced with her google account, and stored on the phone. She should change her google password immediately!

As far as I know you will not be able to wipe the phone remotely unless an app was already installed that can do that. There is an app called "plan b" that you can install remotely to locate it. But the phone needs network access, and if you already canceled the service to that phone it's very unlikely that you'll be able to install it.

If the battery dies it's no different than any other time it dies. No memory is wiped. It just needs recharged.

This is why a phone should always have a password and some kind of remote locate/wipe installed. Lookout, Avast, Androidlost, Where's my droid, etc..

ocnbrze likes this.
  4. KENNECTED

KENNECTED Android Expert
    None

That is if she is storing contacts to her google account. Many people add them directly to the phones memory. Lets hope she added to the google account.

5. Davdi

Davdi Android Expert

Jul 4, 2012
    Semi-retired developer
    The Shire
    Definitely install Plan B, and hope you can locate the phone. Otherwise call the carrier, get the Sim blocked, and tell them the IMEI so the phone can be blocked as well. that way you won't get the phone back, but it's no use to anyone else.

ocnbrze likes this.
  6. FinancialWar

None

Feb 3, 2012
    Plan B and other "tracking" Apps are useless if the person who stolen/found the phone does clean install using Odin.

So if Plan B does not work, call up your service provide and block the IMEI number.

ocnbrze likes this.
  7. ignb

ignb Lurker
    None

Jan 8, 2013
    Male
    Lithuania
    Block the IMEI number or wipe her phone if she use some sort of anti-theft software like Plan B. For Google account - change the password.

8. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    ALWAYS notify the network asap, whatever else you do. Not only will this quickly render the lost/stolen handset useless, it should also prevent you beng responsible for any charges the "finder" racks up on the account. IEMI (or similar) blocks can always be reversed if the handset is recovered.

As also suggested, changing all linked account passwords (Google, Facebook, Twitter etc) is also imperative.

9. jodor

jodor Lurker
    None

Jan 7, 2013
    Thank you everyone for your responses. The parents had immediately cancelled phone service to the phone, so Plan B is unfortunately not an option as I understand a connection is needed. As suggested, she changed all her applicable passwords. Thanks again.

ocnbrze likes this.
  10. FinancialWar

None

Feb 3, 2012
    Did you request the IMEI to be blocked?? That is very important because it makes the phone useless in your country and the thief/finder will probably just return after realise that the phone can not make any calls and can't be sold in secondary market.

My phone was returned to my service provider booth a weekend after 5 days after I blocked the IMEI, but the c**t kept my 32GB SD card...

11. AlkiDweller

AlkiDweller Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 3, 2009
    Seattle
    Try Plan B anyway. Your phone may still be able to connect via WiFi.