• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What do you do with your rooted Incredible?

guys, one quick question. it may have been covered but I have seen a clear answer.
If i root do i have to worry about the over the air update?

i want root bad (just for the flashlite app). but i thought I saw someone say "if rotted we won't get our over the air update to Froyo? Is that correct?

if not, what if anything would rooting cause me that could be a hassel?

Upvote 0
i keep reading about this whole overclocking thing... do you guys really think the Dinc is that slow that you need to bother overclocking? is there some other benefit i'm not aware of? i tried the setCPU app and don't really understand it. so if someone can explain to me simply, why bother overclocking and what is the benefit?

when you get the kernels you dont have to keep it that high... i only have it that high when plugged into the outlet. then i have profiles set for battery levels and it helps my battery last longer

Upvote 0
with root i can do (or did) the following:

-wifi tether,

-block advertisements,

-remove stupid apps like city ID that run in the background but don't actually do anything,

-use apps like autostarts that let me decide what apps start up when the phone boots,

-use apps like quickboot that boot me right into recovery from a single tap on the screen,

-theme and then install widgets to make them look how i want them to look,

-run a low voltage kernel to possibly help with battery life(only flashed it last night so i don't have any real results yet)

-i can make nandroid backups so if i ef something up i can always revert back to a safe and stable point

-i can connect to wireless N routers now that i did the wireless N hack

i'm sure i'm forgetting a thing or two... and there will be more things to do with root later on.

Reactions: mgraham
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones