1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General What do you need the Bionic for?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by HanSolo, Jul 25, 2011.

?

What do you need the Bionic for, really?

1. I don't need the advanced specs, I just want the latest and best!

12 vote(s)
    52.2%
  2. I honestly NEED the advanced specs to be able to use it the way I plan to.

9 vote(s)
    39.1%
  3. It's way more advanced than I need it to be. I probably won't get it if it's delayed much longer.

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  1. HanSolo

HanSolo Guest
    None
    So, in the dreadfully long period of time that we are still waiting for the Droid Bubonic turd to drop, I've been researching other phones and news. Why? Probably for the same reason as all of you - to be sure that I'm getting the best phone possible for my hard-earned money.

I've found several links, all posted within the last week, that make me sick.

A possible 3D version of the SGSII:
    Samsung Galaxy 3D coming by the end of the year? - Phone Arena

The Dinara "superphone":
    Rumor: Motorola Dinara to follow Droid Bionic in late 2011 | Android Atlas - CNET Reviews

And the Samsung Galaxy Q, a possibly FOLDABLE 5.3'' incher. Wondering How You’re Going to Fit Samsung’s 5.3 Inch Galaxy Q in Your Pocket? You Might Be Able to Fold It [Video]

So, I've been thinking. Do I really NEED the Bionic? My habits, of course, will vary, but this is what I use my phone for:

Calls (rarely)
    Taking pictures (very rarely)
    Taking video (never)
    Video-chatting (never. . why am I going to dress up just to make a phone call?)
    Texts
    Web surfing
    E-book reading
    Movies (rarely. . .no matter how awesome the screen is, my 42'' plasma is way better)
    Tethering for my home PC (somewhat frequently)

So, for the above things, do I need a super fast processor? Do I need an excellent camera? Do I need a bunch of RAM?

I'm just so sick of the "next best thing" cycle, and I'm wondering if I'm just getting carried away with keeping up with the tech instead of just being content with what I have.

What do you guys think? Are we being swept away by the hype? Or do we really need these to be able to use our phones the way we plan to?

Advertisement

droid. likes this.
  2. drdoom

drdoom Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    College Student
    North Carolina
    Doesn't the first poll answer contradict itself? You have to have the best specs in order to have the latest and greatest.

3. HanSolo

HanSolo Guest
    None
    No contradiction. . it's basically saying "I don't NEED the advanced specs, I just WANT them."

;)

4. mahashel

mahashel Member
    None

Nov 10, 2009
    Considering the way I've been powering through my OG Droid's menus and noticing substantial lag, I've come to the realization that I'd benefit mightily from a much faster phone.
    Do I *need* all the power of the Bionic? Perhaps not, but I have no doubt that I'd grow into it.
    Release the Bionic and I'll take care of rationalizing why I need it. It's one of my core competencies. ;)

5. droid.

droid. Member
    None

Nov 5, 2009
    Technical Business Analyst
    I live in the middle of nowhere Missiour
    Nice post!

I would like the folding phone if it folded to the size of the droid X, it would be like a tablet in your pocket. Awesome! My only concern would be the weight.

6. rocket97

rocket97 Guest
    None
    I voted that I need it, not right now per say, but if I want to be able to use the phone for my full 2 year contract I need something that is much more powerful than what is needed right now. With the crippling that has happened with my OG with each and every update that they push out, I want to be sure that I have a phone that is still usable (not limping along) after 2 years.

7. Jerm13

Jerm13 Member
    None

Nov 16, 2009
    My reasoning exactly as well.

8. HanSolo

HanSolo Guest
    None
    I see your point. We need a phone that will still be somewhat relevant by the end of our upgrade period.

I'm still using my OG, and honestly it works pretty much as good as it did from day one. But, it's rooted and has been running the same rom for about a year. I don't trust all of these updates from Verizon. They just lead to other updates that fix the previous updates. :rolleyes:

9. droidfan1

droidfan1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 2, 2010
    I was planning on getting this phone.

After putting liquid 2.3 on my droid x, my droid x is running faster than my mom's droid 3.

Droid x > droid 3, then droid x > or equal to bionic for me right now.

I'll wait for the dinera, I think.