1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

What do you say?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by helios_kk, May 22, 2011.

1. helios_kk

helios_kk Lurker

Hey, My first post here :D I currently do not own any Android device :eek:(and I don't want to buy 'some' android phone just to jump on the android bandwagon) and now I have enough cash to buy DEFY. I've seen a lot of "life-proof" tests, and the reviews do not necessarily help as they don't give any information about daily usage(they just tell, 'OK, DEFY can do task A, task B and task C but cannot handle task D so well and fails in task E') You people are the best judges(those of you who have had an experience with DEFY). So, should I buy DEFY or wait a little bit longer for a better one?

I'm confused:thinking::thinking:

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. colnago

colnago Android Expert

"For me", I like the Defy because its durable, has better reception (per dBm levels) vs. other phones on T-Mo USA, and some of the Motoblur widgets/features (messaging/battery saver), and has pretty much been working without issue since day one. It was recently upgraded to Android 2.2, so Flash based sites are working as well. Following the update, the battery is lasting a solid 48 hours of "my normal use". I recently had the G2x (T-Mo's current Android Flagship) from release day, but returned it, despite the noticeably faster processing capability, mainly because of weak reception, lack of LED notification, and again, a good messaging widget.

However my requirements have nothing to do with yours. You need to determine what you need/want, and then find a phone that best fits. FWIW, even with the HTC Sensation coming out soon (most all HTC phones I've experiences had weaker reception than other phones, while in the same area), I have no desire to leave my Defy. The only thing that the newer phones do better that "I" would see as a benefit, would be smoother video playback via my sling boxes.

helios_kk likes this.
  3. helios_kk

helios_kk Lurker

That helped a lot. How about the UI? Is it smooth? does it lag?

4. colnago

colnago Android Expert

Lag is relative...some people have less patience than others. However doing the same tasks (opening an app, scrolling thru menus, etc.) may take longer than at other times, if the phone is busy running background services/synchronizing/etc. I did notice the G2x was faster in that regards, but I don't have any issues that would frustrate me, or look to get something else...but again, YMMV.

I am using Launcher Pro for my home screen, but not for any performance gain (I don't see any vs. stock MotoBlur, as I have most all the MotoBlur widgets/features inactive), but because Launcher Pro allows for more columns and rows for each screen. FWIW, any problematic app, or system setting, can be enough to cause the phone to lag. I noticed my phone was running considerably slow recently, and after uninstalling my latest 2-3 apps, the "speed" returned to normalcy.

5. helios_kk

helios_kk Lurker

Thanks and that would settle it I guess. I'm buying it.... :D

Motorola Defy Forum

The Motorola Defy release date was October 2010. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, TI OMAP 3610 processor, and 1540mAh battery.

October 2010
Release Date
Reviews