• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What do you suggest?

mikedean441

Dec 15, 2009
Had the moto droid for about a week. Was talked into buying it, not very computer intelligent, so have been battling through trying to get things setup for my liking.

I have certain preferences I would like to have setup for my settings when im at work.school and home primarily. Thus far Ive been doing it all manually which has been a pain, til someone suggested locale app. Not sure if it is the way to go based on what I need so looking for insight, below is how I want my settings:

At work--phone/text/emails all vibrate
At school-same as above
At home before bed time(say midnite)-phone/text/emails all have audio notification
At home after bed time-phone can ring, text can have audio notification, but emails I want silent (no vibrate)

Is locale they way to go? or any other ideas?

thanks in advance

Locale is definitely the way to go for these different situations. I have a profile set up for:
1. midnight to 7am (home)
2. when I'm at work
3. when I'm at school
4. when I'm in the car.
The only thing you need to watch out for is that if you set up a situation based on GPS, you will need to have a view of the outdoors at all time. Otherwise, the GPS might lose you and your situation will not work.

Upvote 0
ok, so lets say I have the email settings on my phone set to vibrate for email notifications...will the locale settings trump that at night when I want it to not vibrate?

GPS settings are a problem, as the GPS doesnt recognize my correct locaton, as we are in a new allotment that isnt on there map yet, will that be a problem?

Upvote 0
Locale settings will trump your default settings if one of your profiles is "on", meaning it's the right time or place. It actually changes the settings on the phone when this happens. So if your default is vibrate for e-mail, and you have a "Sleeping" profile set up for say, midnight through 7 that tells the phone not to make any noise at all, then it won't.

GPS awareness is OK, but if you're using locale for things like work and school, you're better off just setting it up based on time.

Upvote 0
ok, just wanted to give an update
for the most part, worked with no issues all day today

only problem is that in the evening I had the phone set to ring and I took teh notifications off of vibrate so that they would make a noise (or so I thought when I got email or text)

but it made no noises at all when I got an email, or a text
does the "notifications" option cover what happens with both emails and text since they both appear in notification section?

and if so, any idea what I did wrong?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones